back to article What is this, 2016? A rummage around in 7th-gen iPad innards shows repurposed tech within

Apple's new iPad is a magical machine, able to take a user back to 2016, the year of the iPhone 7. Screwdriver demons iFixit have ripped one apart to find out just how retro the thing really is. It is no secret that the 7th-generation iPad shares an awful lot of features with the seventh generation iPhone, including the A10 …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

As An Added Bonus...

...if you hold it wrong, the signal strength drops, just like in the good old days.

Pub O'Clock.

2. James 51

I wonder if there's any chance of a fairtablet.

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

” there remain plenty of iPhone 7s out there, perfectly capable of running apps and surfing the web, and not really needing upgrading (much to Apple's chagrin)“

Why would it be to Apple’s chagrin? If they wanted to pull support, they would - it hasn’t stopped them before.

1. Persona

Apple need to carefully balance their need to get their customers to pay again (upgrade) against driving them out of the faith.

4. Timmy B

Getting tired of these. Just post a link to the ifixit page and be done with it. This is very lazy article writing.

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. chronicdashedgehog

I like the Value Added Satire tbh

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

I looked at upgrading my 3rd Gen iPad

Apple say they will give me a whopping AUD$40 trade-in for it on a new one.

You know what, my old iPad 3 is looking pretty darn capable for a $40 unit!

I think I will pass.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: I looked at upgrading my 3rd Gen iPad

I thought that recently with the Apple Watch trade-in program. My pristine, <1yr old Apple Watch 4 in stainless steel would get - wait for it - €80 at trade-in.

Anybody that falls for that is functionally braindead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty darn capable? For what? Seriously asking, as I have a couple of 2s, and they are as slow as hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Erm, looking at web pages and playing video's.

2. Roopee Bronze badge
        Thumb Up

Well I read el Reg on one of my iPad 2s most days. I keep it in the bathroom :) The browser does tend to crash a lot due to running out of memory, but I just fire it up again and carry on.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> but I just fire it up again and carry on.

Me too when I am in the bathroom. Unfortunately I don't own an iPad.

6. SimonM

iPad 1

I genuinely still use my iPad 1, hard work most of the time, but it still serves a purpose, just...

7. nanchatte

The first iPad with retina screen (iPad 3) from way back in 2012 is still getting lots of use at home. Apple might be expensive off the bat, but they sure as hell deliver longevity-wise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like