back to article Visual Studio for Mac: A bunch of new features but Xcode and VS Code are tough competition

Microsoft this week opened the gates on Visual Studio for Mac 2019 8.3, a flexible development environment for .NET, and The Reg can give you the lowdown on some of the new features. But first, let's see how the Microsofties got here. Redmond has three coding tools under the Visual Studio brand, all of which have different …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

I usually feel quite claustrophobic when using a big old Borland Turbo C++ style IDE for development but for some reason the macOS version feels even worse.

Something about the macOS interface guidelines doesn't lend itself well to big fullscreen windows full of interface elements.

2. Wilco

I imagine this will make the people who want to write mac apps in C# happy. Both of them.

1. a_yank_lurker

@wilco

Unless Slurp plans to make C# truly cross-platform, I really do not see the point of making these tools as there are other IDEs available for Swift, Java, Python, etc. available for the Mac and Linux. There is really no reason to switch to VS as a primary IDE when you have not been using it for at all.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

"Both of them."

good one

C-pound and '.Not' on a Mac. *shudder*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quoting Marvin

"I've seen it, it's rubbish"

I feel the author has not actually used the product. Stick with the windows version.

We tried doing a simple UI for some business processes as we use macOS. The C# projects worked fine, we then tried doing a simple UI to tie it all together. Very quicky we realised we had to write insane amounts of code to do simple UI tasks at that point we ditched the whole endeavour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like