back to article US senators green-light recruitment of crack infosec teams, both public and private

The US Congress has, near enough, approved a law bill to create a new set of dedicated cyber-security teams within the Department of Homeland Security. On Tuesday, the Senate passed S.315, also known as the DHS Cyber Hunt and Incident Response Teams Act of 2019, a bipartisan measure that funds the creation of both …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Haliburton up X% on the news

So are a bunch of tattooed counter-culture anti-establishment anarcho-cyber-ninjas suddenly going to apply for salaried government jobs, breeze through security vetting and be welcomed into the cutting edge technology culture of airport mall cops ?

Or is this just going to result in big checks being written to a bunch of defense contractors to produce power points featuring a lot of black hoody stock photos and green scrolling CRT font text ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Haliburton up X% on the news

I can respond to this:

The result will be the formation of committees, I'll email the committee chair(s) and have your questions added to the agenda. Do be aware, there is a 4 year public consultation period, with a further 8-12 months for the response to be worded, proofed and agreed by the committees.

So I'm pleased to announce, you can expect the formal response in 56-60 months.

Yours Faithfully

A. Civil-servant

2. Reg T.

See if I have this correct -

DHS is going to hire some puddinheads to catch the NSA spooks, FBI spooks, CIA spooks and Mossad spooks "in the act"? Obviously, they'll intercept the MI5/6 spooks also. This new agency, aptly labeled Agentur Spione abzufangen, or ASA will doubtless be a magnificent success given the performance of its sister agency the TSA. Preference will be given to those who have experience employing gucklochtechnik.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Coat

Just...

...call it SPECTRE or SMERSH and be done.

3. ratfox
    Black Helicopters

Are they going to call it Trendy Bear or USA Unit 61398?

4. SotarrTheWizard
    FAIL

Except, of course. . .

. . . . the Federal hiring process is so long and involved, that by the time you get to an interview, it's a year or more later. . .

I can recall finally getting called on a "critical fill" infosec position. . .18 months after applying. . . .

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Except, of course. . .

Followed by 18-24 months of sitting in an off- site meeting room waiting for security clearance, which you fail because you once smoked pot or got a ticket for skateboarding

1. SotarrTheWizard

Re: Except, of course. . .

. . .some of us already have one. You still wait months for it to "cross over". And if you're particularly lucky. . . .then you get scheduled for a session on The Box.

Which is an order of magnitude MORE joy, because apparently older folks, IT folks, and people with medical issues are nearly impossible to get a solid read on. . . so you get re-scheduled to take it again, a month or three later. . . and it's back to the off-site meeting room in the meantime . . .

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still better than the UN

I was recently advised that a job I applied for almost three years ago was filled. They did thank me for my interest, so there's that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like