back to article Match.com? More like Match dot-con, claims watchdog: Cyber-lonely-hearts 'lured into forking out to view bot spam'

America's trade watchdog claims the owner of Match.com, Tinder, and other dating sites, shafted its lonely-hearts by allowing obviously bogus bot profiles to feign interest in the singletons. On Wednesday, the FTC alleged in a legal complaint that Match.com and other dating sites owned by Match group broke US law when they let …

1. sbt
    Stop

If it was as rare and as unintentional as they say...

...it surely would have been ethical (and no hardship) to offer an apology and full refund with the message that said "turns out this match was a scammer".

1. Valeyard

Re: If it was as rare and as unintentional as they say...

the assumption made is that they aren't the ones creating these accounts themselves

1. g7rpo

There has been a lot of allegations that these companies have people who make these accounts to get people to pay for accounts to view messages.

Amazingly the victims have said once paid up, they no longer get the number of interest again

1. BillG
          Megaphone

Dating sites are like gambling sites, there's easier profit in cheating the customer than running an honest game.

2. Shadow Systems

Why bother with a dating site?

Everyone knows the proper way is to find a bar, get shit face drunk, puke on the first woman you can get to stand still long enough to talk to, then wake up in the morning so hung over & sick you can't remember if you got lucky or not.

If you develop a burning rash and have to see the doc then you know you got some, otherwise try again next Friday...

*Cough*

Or so I've been told.

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the pockets full of bar receipts... =-}p

1. sbt
      WTF?

Re: Why bother with a dating site?

Neither prospect sounds particularly enjoyable. It's easier to pursue your interests (preferably somewhat sober), make friends and who knows, "lightning may strike"?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

@sbt

You must be American.

1. sbt
          Paris Hilton

No. What made you think I was?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Being a long time married Dad I'm not in the market but if I was ever unfortunate enough to be on my own again then I think I would stick to the conventional way of let it find me and don't waste time looking for it.

Or just not bother.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Try just letting it find you or not bothering..It's f*cking awful.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> find a bar, get shit face drunk, puke on the first woman you can get to

Romance is not dead

1. Ian K

>> find a bar, get shit face drunk, puke on the first woman you can get to

>Romance is not dead

Just lightly concussed.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Romance is not dead

It's just pining for the fjords...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

puke on the first woman you can get to

Careful, you'll have the LGBTQXYZ police after you.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

The LGBTQIAP police are on their way to you for assuming that Shadow Systems is a man. Though to be fair, I don't think there are any lesbians who would consider that to be a viable dating strategy.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

To be fair, I'm sure I've met plenty of people of many sexual persuasions (except probably not the A in LGBTQIAP) who'd use that as a dating "strategy" - in other words, get drunk along with other people getting drunk and make a choice which probably seems less sensible in the morning (including with people of a gender they'd not normally be interested in).

I'm pretty sure the OP was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about it being the proper way to go about things, I took it to be more an illustration of how alcohol clouds judgement, especially when you're young and impressionable...

2. Cederic Silver badge

I refer the good poster to the superb documentary video to which The Prodigy set their unfortunately titled musical wonder Smack My Bitch Up.

4. Sgt_Oddball
      Pint

It worked for me... Though I didn't puke on her. Worked for my Dad too. Didn't ask my grandads how they did it though, but probably more of the same.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Your dad puked on your partner and.. wait, this doesn't sound legal.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah the memories...

Match must be what? The methusalah of dating sites? Met the missus on match.com. When it was still dial-up to get to the Internet, in the 90s. Almost 25 years...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah the memories...

> Met the missus on match.com

I met her on Ashley Madison. Small world.

1. IGotOut Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Ah the memories...

He's right...I have his login credentials and profile right here.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"We catch and neutralize 85 per cent of potentially improper accounts in the first four hours"

The problem is not how many you catch, the issue here is the fact that you monetize those you don't catch.

And frankly, a photo no older than a week and connecting with 5 people per week in order to "qualify" for a refund ? Do we have permission to work, or are we supposed to just spend all our time on your site ?

Dating sites are just a huge scam IMO.

1. joeW

Re: "We catch and neutralize 85 per cent of potentially improper accounts in the first four hours"

I've had some success with them in the past.

2. Alistair
      Windows

Re: "We catch and neutralize 85 per cent of potentially improper accounts in the first four hours"

You brought up the word "catch" and I automatically went down POF path.

Someone we know uses it constantly. Having to hang over that person's shoulder whilst they reviewed their 'contacts' just *once* made me decide that interweb dating is just a massive NO on my books. Under any circumstance. ever.

5. Blockchain commentard
    Headmaster

If they can catch 85%, wgy let the other 15% slip through? Otherwise how to they know it's 85% and not just 50% or 10%?

Where's the pedantic maths alert icon?

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Judging by the garbage on there, I suspect it is 85% of all signups. The number of actual legitimate accounts is so small that it is a rounding error in the calculations.

Dear RussianMailOrderBrideBot

If you are looking for a $adjective man to do $weird_heterosexual_rituals, then why the $expletive are you contacting me. I don't look anything like a man you $abelist_expletive.

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

Its well known that these dating sites don't do much about fake profiles, as the more profiles they have the more money they make from their sites/apps than if they only had a a few thousand 100% verified accounts.

When i tried using Tinder the report button for reporting scam/fake profiles would consistently cause the app to crash, so they clearly weren't interested in doing anything about the fakes on their service.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Yes what was naughty about this one is that they sent you the fake posts and asked you to pay to read them. When you paid they admitted they were fake.

It's like a virus scanner saying there is a virus, upgrade to the paid version to fix it. And when you pay it just says "false alarm"

2. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

I reported so many users they disabled the report button for my logon. I complained pointing out their screening was shit, and they re-enabled it..

7. HamsterNet

One one bot needed per region

Let's face it they only need one/two (one for each sex) active bots per region to work on hooking in new users to the paid subscription.

The other 96% must just be out to scam users, the one that are allowed to survive are there as a marketing tool.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What took them so long.

The tactics described are 101 for scam dating agencies, and something I saw on Match.com and affiliated services back in the noughties.

It is one of the prime reasons I gave up on Western dating sites; 90% of what I was getting was scammer content, and many of the "real" people were posting fake facts about themselves (Refined lady with an athletic build = 300lb lard-ball with a moustache).

Some of the notorious Russian dating sites were less obvious with their scams, and had a lower percentage of scammers, others operated exactly the same as Match.

Still, in the end Match et all, saved me a lot of money; I ended up marrying an attractive Chinese girl; marrying in China costs less than £5 - 90p for the registration and a few quid get you two photos for the license.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: What took them so long.

But the free shipping takes weeks

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually, most items now arrive in around 10-14 days although i do have some cushion covers that are overdue.

The biggest issue was FEDEX trying to squeeze her through the letterbox, her bum wouldnt fit.

Only joking, she is a lovely woman.

I spent 6 months out there when we got married, had a great time and didnt really want to come back to the UK.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Thumb Up

The biggest issue was FEDEX trying to squeeze her through the letterbox, her bum wouldnt fit.

Only joking, she is a lovely woman.

Ooh... You Are Awful! But She Likes You!

2. Angry IT Monkey
      Joke

The problem with Western dating sites is how forward potential matches are. The first contact is always "Howdy Partner!"

9. Milton

Why bother with a dating site?

If you're intellectually lazy, physically somewhat repulsive, have a big mouth and a relatively useless education (say, a mediocre upper second in dead languages), just take the path of other people who are good at basically nothing but love to hear their own voices—become a politician! Get some cheap prestige (say, become mayor of an important city) and wait for suitable victims to wander within groping distance.

No dating sites required. No need to go photoshopping your avatar. You can tell lies off-line, comfortably deniable.

Best of all, you can use the taxpayers' money to purchase improvements to your understanding of technology.

1. David 164

An you may even get a promotion to be PM as well.

10. Fading
    Unhappy

It is pretty disheartening.

When not even the fake profiles message you....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh!

You do surprise me.

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

I remember when...

The chief gripe about such organisations was with mutton dressed as lamb.

Has someone thought of starting a "Carbon Dating" site?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I remember when...

Has someone thought of starting a "Carbon Dating" site?"

Not sure about that, but around 60 years ago the BBC had a late night service where people could send in written profiles of themselves. You had to send the profile in on carbon copy paper. Staff would read profiles over the air, and you could write in to contact any matches you heard on the air. If someone matched you, you would each receive a copy of the other's profile.

It was referred to as a radio carbon dating site.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think the most out of date photo I received was from a woman in Bishkek, I already HAD a photo of her from a Marriage Agency party, so it was obvious the one she sent me wasnt current; especially as it was taken with one of those old film cameras that adds the date at the bottom.

In the agency photo she was a slightly plump 35 y/o; the photo showed a skinny teen in a bikini taken 18 years previously.

Fun fact. When she found out I was also writing to another woman from the same agency, she stormed the building, forced her way into the office and tried to browbeat the staff into giving her the other womans details.

Lucky escape for me.

Coat

Sounds like Mandy

1. Anonymous Coward
          Black Helicopters

No, Randy Mandy was Anglo-Dutch, or are we thinking of different women?

Careful though, AFAIK she still works for a certain high tech UK NGO, and might be listening in to this conversation.

Happy

Dick Emery's Mandy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLRZzukcJc

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like