back to article Boffins build a tiny nanolaser that can be inserted inside our cells

A tiny laser, a thousand times thinner than the average single strand of human hair, might be able to slip inside microprocessor chips or take closeups of human tissues one day, according to a paper published in Nature Materials. The system emits near infrared or visible light just 50 to 150 nanometers wide. A team of …

1. RGE_Master

Can someone confirm if "erbium irons" is right or if it's meant to be "erbium ions"?

Thanks

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

That would be ironic.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

I'm sure they have an iron-clad excuse.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I'm sure they have an iron-clad excuse.

Which they'll stick to with steely determination.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Surely its not "boffins" inventing this teensey laser, but "bright sparks"?

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Enquiring minds want to know:

Does it work with sharks?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Enquiring minds want to know:

You beat me to it!

Incidentally, I thought we wanted to mount frikkin' BIG lasers ON their heads, not tiny lasers IN their heads. Still, pretty cool boffinry

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

IN their heads firing OUT from their eyes, crank the power up (it's all water cooled) and your laser sharks are now stealth laser sharks!

1. Schultz
          Boffin

stealth laser sharks!

According to the boffin, their "tiny lasers operate at powers that are orders of magnitude smaller than observed in any existing lasers". So your stealthed laser shark can score a direct hit without revealing himself to the target!

2. Chris G

Implant several million of these cells into the centre of a shark's head and find a way to detect attack mode in the shark's nervous system y voila.

Next, leg and lung implants for sharks.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

That's a crazy plan

The fact that sharks have been hanging around the oceans for something like a half a billion years suggests they want nothing to do with this land-based life malarkey and would immediately return to the water and where would you be then? I'll tell you. Shark-based underwater football. And you don't want that.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: That's a crazy plan

Close, but that's Shark-based underwater laser football actually.

2. Blockchain commentard

Underwater laser tag?

3. Scott 53

Shark-based underwater football. And you don't want that.

Oh, I do. Ian Great White and Steve Bull up front.

2. Rich 11

I'm afraid your idea isn't feasible: several million would only get you a very weak beam about a quarter of a millimetre across. I'm willing to grant you the legs and lungs, though.

1. Chris G

@ Rich11

I'm a crappy biologist snd not much of a laser engineer but going forward, aI was wondering how many cells implanted into my forefinger would make it interesting.

But underwater Shark football? I could market that.

1. Psmo

underwater Shark football? I could market that.

One thing I never knew I needed.

Now I'm going to have to avoid thinking about that all evening.

2. Rich 11

how many cells implanted into my forefinger would make it interesting

That would be a very subjective assessment. How uninteresting do you consider your forefinger at the moment?

2. Muscleguy

1. Legs: by themselves no good. You need limb girdles to attach the legs to and you also need a suite of motorneurons in the shark spinal cord to send axons into the leg. Oh and donning my Muscleguy hat you also need to make shark muscle precursor cells migrate to fill those limbs with muscles so they are more than antlers*. You can't just plonk legs on a shark and expect it all to work you know. Just like plonking wings on Pegasus or a gryphon without any hint of a limb girdle doesn't make them biologically plausible.

2. Lungs: In parallel with the gills or in series? flow through as birds have or blind sacks like mammals have? If these are meant, in association with the legs discussed above to enable the shark to be terrestrial then we need lots more adaptations like a waterproof skin, a diaphragm to enable the lung to work (see above for migrating muscle precursors to make this). Some sharks are ovoviparous (they bear live young) so that might work.

*Antlers are basically muscleless, jointless legs. They even have the same branching structure of limbs: one, two, many. Moose antlers are even described as palmate. Yes, deer are hexapods but the extra limbs are non functional in locomotion: wrong direction, no limb girdle, no muscles, no joints.

1. Alister

Antlers are basically muscleless, jointless legs.

Really? And there's me thinking they were secondary sexual characteristics of certain cervids. Yes, they are bone, but they are discarded and regrown every year.

Moose antlers are even described as palmate.

They are described as palmate when they take on a flattened and spread out appearance, just like a human palm - or for that matter, the broad leaves of a palm tree.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given how long sharks have been around and how long mammals have, what makes you think legs and lungs are necessarily a benefit?

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Next, leg and lung implants for sharks

Did David Brin's Uplift novels not teach you that uplifting sharks is a really, really bad idea?

4. JDX Gold badge

Hurry up with the nanobots already!

5. Tom 7

When I was a kid

there was some talk about using lasers on chips for processing, As transistors shrank faster the idea seemed to fade away. I wonder if this might bring it back for few months.

1. Alister

Re: When I was a kid

Wasn't the original Star Trek Enterprise supposed to use optical computing of some sort?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: When I was a kid

Judging by the clickety clackety noises it used to make, I think tiny people with tiny abacuses (abaci?) is more likely.

1. Mike 16

Re: Clickety-clack

For Clickety-clack, you want to look into (listen for) the computer on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

I swear one scene showed a step-by-step telephone switch. The console was recycled from EMERAC, a prop built by IBM for the movie "The Desk Set". (That feels to me like GM building props for "Unsafe at Any Speed", intentionally).

Anyway, "Because this was in a submarine with a big glass window" for all of you wondering

"What's the Elasmobranchii Angle?"

1. Alister

They definitely used the soundtrack of Strowger uniselectors, so maybe they had some real ones wired up?

Doing nights in a telephone exchange in the late seventies / early eighties, I will never forget the chugga-chugga-chugga-braaaaaaaap noise.

1. oldfartuk

and then we got hold of the Bell Technical Manual, and we built black boxes and blue boxes, for the secret of teh 2600hz was out..

6. Alister

Glow-in-the-dark organs

The latest fashion trend?

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Re: Glow-in-the-dark organs

You can already get glow-in-the-dark protective coverings for a certain organ. The usual ones are good for sizes up to approximately 2 linguine, beyond that you may need something custom-made.

7. defiler

So you can put them in cells, and they'll use energy...

Can I use them to lose weight as I glow?

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: So you can put them in cells, and they'll use energy...

Horses sweat. Men perspire. Women with implanted lasers gently glow.

1. Psmo

Re: So you can put them in cells, and they'll use energy...

Women with implanted lasers gently GLOW.

At least they would get their own Netflix series.

8. GX5000

No water beasts required

It's not sharks..

It's NANOBOTS with FREAKING LAZERS!!

Now about that shark nanobot design...

9. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Boffin

"Excitingly, our tiny lasers operate at..."

It's not even Friday and we get a subtle laser joke from Prof Schuck.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one serious question

can I fit them lasers into my eyeglasses to zap that big mother(...) that took the last parking bay?!

11. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Memo from the Grand BOFH.

Research nanolasers focused on the Boss's crotch.

Find out if nanolasers can be self-replicating.

12. oldfartuk

Seriously.Could you make little Nanostormtroopers with these lasers to kill cancer cells?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like