back to article Quick!! The! top! five! things! you! want! to! see! from! Yahoo! – what! are! they!?

Remember Yahoo!? It used to be Google but failed to get better, keep current, or do anything useful. You must remember: it bought two monster internet brands – Flickr and Tumblr – and ran them into the ground. No? It rebooted itself with Google exec Marissa Mayer who spent years chasing rainbows before being pushed out the …

1. Char Gar Gothakon
    FAIL

Quite honestly, I couldn't wait to scroll past the animated GIF (or whatever that was) to read the article's text. The loop of that purple monstrosity was sooooooo annoying I couldn't wait to get it off my screen. Of course, the change in design will make all the difference in Yahoo's fortunes, to the negative I imagine.

2. simonlb Silver badge
    Meh

Ah, good old Yahoo!

I still have a Yahoo! email address - just haven't used it for anything personal or important for years. And I always found it very clever how their email spam filters managed to detect every single spam email I received and put it in my spam folder, it was as if they knew it was crap in the first place.

But that new logo, it looks like a shitty capcha. A really, really shitty one.

1. AIBailey

Re: Ah, good old Yahoo!

But that new logo, it looks like a shitty capcha. A really, really shitty one.

That's exactly what I thought. I was looking for the "I am not a robot" tick box to go with it.

1. Steve K

You need to click on the logo image - the condensed one is corrupted and indeed looks like a Captcha.

The full-size one is completely legible and looks like I designed it. This is Not a Good Thing however...

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Ah, good old Yahoo!

Yes, just click the link. The site was distorting it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" I always found it very clever how their email spam filters managed to detect every single spam email I received and put it in my spam folder"

Now that you mention it, Yahoo does do a pretty good job of keeping out most all spam emails.

But for the love of everything holy, never, ever (even on a dare) visit the main Yahoo website with JavaScript enabled!

You have been warned!

3. pavel.petrman

A technology studio on the intersection of consumer media and artificial intelligence

So Marissa is running a hipster barbershop these days?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hadn't thought of that one, but I have to say that the intersection of consumer media and what passes for AI these days does seem like exactly the place for her. Nothing special to do, looking good while doing it.

2. simonlb Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: A technology studio on the intersection of consumer media and artificial intelligence

My bullshit filter exploded when I read that sentence.

4. slartybartfast

The logo on yahoo’s clickbate news homepage looks terrible and like the sort of logo sites would have used in the late 90’s - maybe yahoo are soon going to unveil a new homepage full of animated gifs ;-). Considering how awful everything on yahoo is and their unacceptable 2-3 year delay in informing their users, in 2016, of several data breaches, which confirmed users details had been stolen, I’m surprised they are still in business.

1. Korev Silver badge

Not forgetting the "Site Under Construction" image

1. Dave559 Silver badge

...and rainbow-coloured horizontal rules!

(Actually, it's probably just about time for those to become fashionable again...)

(If that's what it takes to kill off "flat" design, it's still a price worth paying! ;-) )

5. tin 2

New logo

Except on yahoo auctions japan's FavIcon....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Hardly worth writing about, was it?

7. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Happy

Very! fitting!

If you read the gif out loud, it comes out as "WHY! Yahoo, WHY!" which I think is the most perfect reaction imaginable

8. Imhotep

Still not ringing a bell

Yahoo? We do have then in my neck of the woods, but I don't think these are the yahoos you are looking for.

9. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

But... But... But...

Didn't they only just move their exclamation mark to a jaunty angle in their last relaunch? Surely that can't have been more than a couple of years ago. I read it on here. There was even a thing from marketing about this new angle was significant in some way or another...

I'm sure they'll be bigger than Facebook one day!

Possibly quite soon if FB get monstered by various governments and all their users leave in disgust...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Sad

My overwhelming feeling is one of sadness. I remember Yahoo search and news from when they were human curated and useful. These days I only view a Yahoo page when it shows up in my Google Discover feed.

11. billdehaan
    Mushroom

Free, and worth what you pay for

I set up a Yahoo account, back around 2004, and in many ways, it was better than Google's and Microsoft's offerings at the time.

The email was okay (GMail didn't exist), the calendar and contact manager were pretty good, and they also incorporated a number of useful features, like an RSS reader, bookmark manager, yahoo group interface, and file briefcase into your account.

Unfortunately, they ignored it, and it was surpassed by competitors. Still, it did no real harm to the functionality. The interface was dated, and missed features that were in competitor's offerings, but it remained usable.

But then the security breaches hit. And hit. And hit. And Yahoo either ignored them, hid them, or outright lied about them.

By that point, I'd pretty much given up on it, and was already using other systems. Some mailing lists still used my Yahoo account, so I checked in every once in a while to keep up. That is, until one day, I couldn't.

For some reason, my password wasn't accepted. I'd logged in the previous day at home in a portable browser instance, but I couldn't log in anywhere else. There was no reason given, and I was told use the password reset facility to get a new password.

The password reset facility said it couldn't proceed for "an invalid reason", and that I should go to Yahoo help. Yahoo help told me to call the Yahoo hotline. The Yahoo hotline told me to try the password reset facility. It was a perfect loop.

Now, when I'd set up the account, I put secondary emails and phone number information, in case of an event like this. It didn't matter; Yahoo doesn't even look at that. I used the browser that was logged in already to send emails to support from within Yahoo, and they sent me to the support forums. I went to the forums, and the Yahoo reps there told me to just use the password reset facility, which is where the problem had started.

Fortunately, since I was logged in in that one instance, I was able to scrub the account clean. I deleted everything. Every email, contact, calendar entry, briefcase file, RSS feed, the works.

Three months later, I got an email in one of my secondary accounts from Yahoo support, who had just discovered a server issue that had affected "a small number of users" and had locked them out of their accounts. This had apparently happened 90 days ago, and they had fixed it, so I could start using the account again, no problem.

I checked, and yes, I could reset my password. I still have it, but it's been idle for a decade. When I was locked out of my account, I was completely hung out to dry by Yahoo. Despite setting up secondary emails and phone numbers, they were ignored. Yahoo reps were unreachable. Forum posts and help requests were utterly useless. If not for the fact that a tech stumbled across the problem on their side by accident, my account would still be locked out. So, why on earth would I want to rely on a service like that?

I now use a paid service (mailbox.org) that charges me 1 euro a month, and actually has a financial interest in not locking me out of my service, because if they do, they don't get paid. Sometimes free really is worth what you pay for it.

12. IGotOut Silver badge

Ahh Yahoo!

The Peugeot of the internet

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd business model.

Yahoo does seem to take a perverse joy in slapping the hands of anyone who manages to find ways to make their stuff less frustrating to use, don't they. Yahoofail still has some advantages but I don't want to mention them in case they are reading this and decide to take those last bits of usefulness away too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like