back to article Supply chain actors agree that everyone's a security risk – except themselves, of course

Security surveys tend to confirm what we already knew a few months ago and the 2019 Global Cyber Risk Perception Survey (PDF) from Marsh and Microsoft does not disappoint. This roller-coaster ride through the deepest thoughts of 1,500+ business leaders during February and March covers topics such as organisational confidence, …

1. JohnFen

Genuinely scary

"But when asked whether they themselves could be a risk to everyone else, only 19 per cent admitted they might."

That's a scary level of ignorance about the realities of security. The reality is that 100% of everybody might be a risk, and that why everybody has to pay careful attention to these issues at all times.

2. Ironclad

Average drivers

Similar to when you ask people to rate their driving ability and 70+% or more rate themselves above average.

https://www.smithlawco.com/blog/2017/december/do-most-drivers-really-think-they-are-above-aver/

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Average drivers

Look up "illusory superiority". It's quite common in humans.

2. GnuTzu

Re: Average drivers

I've always loved that statistic, simply because it doesn't need any special scale of what constitutes good driving to qualify the meaning of it. The logic is obvious; only half the population can be better than average. It's that simple.

3. jake Silver badge

"9 per cent expected to be done in by terrorists"

Wow. Just wow.

I guess the various scare campaigns by the western government(s) of your choice are working. Sad, that.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What they are not telling you .....

At the same time as Microsoft was reminding business leaders how scary cyber threats can be, its president Brad Smith was telling the US to stop blacklisting Huawei so that it can start supplying it with Windows software again.

Microsoft Windows ...... One of Uncle Sam's favourite back doors for infiltration and exfiltration of information and intelligence ....... and all in the guise of a premium system for sub-prime operations?

Thanks for all the phish for phorming.

And for those who don't know what phorming does/is ........ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8438461/BT-and-Phorm-how-an-online-privacy-scandal-unfolded.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What they are not telling you .....

I would love to know if Snowden was aware of the Phorm stuff - not sure how big a splash it made over in the US.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: What they are not telling you .....

I would love to know if Snowden was aware of the Phorm stuff - not sure how big a splash it made over in the US. ..... Anonymous Coward

Makes one wonder, AC, how much of anything really top secret and able to provide an almighty overwhelming advantage is known to anyone else around the world, even if vital elements of it are escaped and shared analogue media mainstream and virtually online.

To assume anyone knows everything you know and where you are headed next with the intelligence and information and product one has uncovered/discovered/invented, is illogical ...... and the future is anyone's for the taking and leading with Media and IT and AI Assisting in Presenting Much Bigger Pictures.

And with a simple binary choice of whether they be relative to Heaven or Hell.

5. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Windows

I'm Sorry

I can't see a face, a vase, a number, a picture (Naughty or not) magically appear in the black & white image, no matter how hard I squint at it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have had some conversations with suppliers recently who thought they were making good noises about security and transparency but in fact were bowel-looseningly amateurish. Most scary was that they really believed they were on the ball. The day before I'd found they had a product management platform with a web interface with an unsecured login for customers. I only found it because they'd let the certificate on the https page expire shutting everyone out.

Not to worry though it was only a system to monitor vulnerable adults in their own home, FFS. Procured without oversight now being rolled back in an abject panic.

You'd think this is a small garden shed concern but it isn't, it's a multibillion dollar international company. Not CRAPITA for once.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like