back to article Nice work if you can grift it: Two blokes accused of swindling $10m from the elderly with bogus virus infection alerts

Two Americans used bogus virus-infection alerts to bilk $10m out of PC owners, it is alleged. Romana Leyva, 35, of Las Vegas, Nevada, and Ariful Haque, 33, of Bellerose, New York, were each charged this week with one count of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Each count carries a maximum of 20 years in the clink …

1. redpawn

Got greedy

They were at it for over two and a half years. Did they forget the flee to Tahiti part of the plan? And why did it take so long to get them?

2. Bluto Nash
    Mushroom

Fuck 'em.

1. Mark 85

Might as well. Hanging is both too good for them (maybe not on second thought) and no longer an option.

1. Oengus

It depends on what you hang them by...

2. the Jim bloke
        Go

Put them up for compulsory organ donation (anyone remember Larry Nivens Gil Hamilton stories?)

Even the article author talks about "service that cost an arm and a leg".

Maybe some of the oldies that were ripped off could get something useful back..

I am very deliberately NOT using the joke icon.

3. simonlb Silver badge

Hanging would be a waste of good rope. Better to lock them up with their only access to a computer being a ZX80 kit and a soldering iron.

1. Oengus

I wasn't thinking about using rope...

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
          Joke

Make them untangle some Cat5 before using it to string them up? Or would that be classed as too cruel??

1. simonlb Silver badge

Nah, you want long serial cables with 25-pin plugs on the ends. Snag city!

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Unhappy

So they netted ~$2million/year each for this.

Sometimes I wish that I wasn't so darned ethical.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"So they netted ~$2million/year each for this."

At 20 years jail time apiece, it sounds more like they netted $100k a year. And they don't even get to keep it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a big problem with this on mobile devices as well

One company in particular has had complaints of fake virus warnings that threaten to damage users phones every single day since 2013.

Here is an example from the Google Play store reviews from September 9th:

"I think buy (sic) telling people that they only have a few hours to download your app or the virus in your phone will stop it from working is a disgusting ploy. I'm curious what the FCC would think about it??"

Many of the fake virus warnings use Real Time Bidding through unscrupulous advertisers such as AppNexus or even generated from within preloaded system apps on low budget Android phones such as Alcatel.

The devlopers are affiliated with Avast and are mostly funded by Qihoo 360 after they were banned from the Play Store years ago for similar shananigans.

The app itself has thousands of user complaints of unauthorized billing and complaints of not being able to uninstall the app after it is granted Device Administrator by less tech savy users.

Six long years of this behaviour but of course the developer claims no knowledge.

5. Joe Drunk

Fortunately not only are my elderly parents' computers Pi-holed but also trained to know that if any such pop-up appears or random caller claiming that their PC is infected they can safely disregard/hang up the phone. I am always reminding them of these types of scams and constantly e-mail them articles such as this one to keep them vigilant.

6. David Shaw

just saw a similar scam on an elderly person with a mac this week

they had a quite specific warning about malware in a Safari page, and to "click here to delete it" (actually d/l some crud)

but it was a double attack - either deliberately or accidentally, the first google hit with the specific virus text took me to a YouTube channel run by a Lithuanian IT 'doctor' whos ten minute 'clean your mac of this specific virus' suggested downloading a specific 'free' Mac virus scanner - which the community has noticed scans for hours, slowing the mac down (mining?) pops-up a warning that 24 files are infected - but won't reveal which ones, until you pay and claims that for just $80/year it will make things completely better again

more details available, should you need them, the YT page was just opened last sunday (but the video/malware/gouge-ware/"scanner" was much older)

at least there are (allegedly) less bank robberies

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Mushroom

@David Shaw ... My Mother in-law Just got it last night.

My mother in-law is in her 80's.

Last night she tells my wife that she had this happen and she actually was dumb enough to call the number. (Yes, I've repeatedly over the years have reminded her not to fall for this scam and to call me ASAP if she gets a bogus alert. )

[FD she's using my old Macbook Air circa 2011 - 2013 model. I forget when I actually bought it]

Just to be safe, primarily because she's not been that honest about what she does online... I told her to take the mac to Apple and have them help her wipe it and reset to factory install.

The sad thing... when these guys get out of prison, they'll go back to being a scam artist.

The explosion is for what I want to do to these types of A holes.

7. Aussie Doc
    Holmes

"...the corporate logo of a well-known, legitimate technology company"

I wonder who that might be.

/s

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...the corporate logo of a well-known, legitimate technology company"

> I wonder who that might be.

Question is just what influence does this legitimate technology company have, that they manage to keep their name out of the indictment if not totally out of this technical article :]

“The scheme generally worked as follows. first, the Fraud Ring caused pop-up windows to appear on victems' computers. The pop-up windows claimed, falsly, that a virus has infected the victem's computer. The pop-up window directed the victem to call a particualr telephone number to obtain technical support.”

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/1203461/download

8. adam payne

"In an attempt to give the false appearance of legitimacy, in some instances the pop-up included, without authorization, the corporate logo of a well-known, legitimate technology company."

Symantec? Mcafee?

1. ma1010
      Joke

Nah

They said "legitimate." So not MS, either.

9. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

"masterminded"?

I don't think that word means what you think it does.

A TRUE mastermind would be sitting on a beach somewhere, sipping a fruity alcoholic beverage....instead of on a concrete bench in a small room with a barred door.

10. FlamingDeath Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Just think, most MPs and Lords are elderly

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like