back to article It's possible to reverse-engineer AI chatbots to spout nonsense, smut or sensitive information

Machine-learning chatbot systems can be exploited to control what they say, according to boffins from Michigan State University and TAL AI Lab. "There exists a dark side of these models – due to the vulnerability of neural networks, a neural dialogue model can be manipulated by users to say what they want, which brings in …

1. horse of a different color
    Terminator

You're in a desert and you're walking along in the sand and all of a sudden you look down and...

1. theblackhand

What one?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

then you realise it's sunny and that cheers you up.

1. John 110

"then you realise it's sunny and that cheers you up."

I thought it was seeing your nice shoes that cheered you up...(that and getting to press the button again...)

2. KCIN

Take a stock sentiment analyzer Combine that with a story generator, a GAN, and you can create lots of negative or positive stories about a stock, for other sentiment analyzers to read.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

"That's one small step for [a]man, one giant quantum communications leap for mankind."

Take a stock sentiment analyzer Combine that with a story generator, a GAN, and you can create lots of negative or positive stories about a stock, for other sentiment analyzers to read. .... KCIN

Howdy, KCIN,

Take a non-stock sentiment analyser and combine that with a story generator, a GAN, and you can create lots of negative or positive stories about a stock, for other sentient analyzers to read and further process.

Some would advise you that is the/a Present New Fangled and Entangled Universal Battle Space for Capture and Captivation of Hearts and Minds ..... Human Perception.

Think AWE20 on Steroids ....... Advanced Warfighter Experimentation.

3. Andytug

They trained it from Twitter?

That well-known fount of learned discourse and correct grammar?

Good luck with that...……...

4. dwodmots

Tay was nothing.

4chan also taught a Japanese chatbot (called Premiere) how to speak English within a day.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I personally don't understand

why scientists are investing time in this. What stringent problem for the humanity are they trying to solve ? How is this going to make us all better ?

1. horse of a different color
      Terminator

Re: I personally don't understand

This is how we will spot the replicants when the inevitable AI apocalypse happens.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why scientists are investing time in this.

That's so far removed from how science works it difficult to believe. The greatest inventions come when people are working on something else.

3. Carpet Deal 'em

Re: I personally don't understand

This research is to AI as pure science is to engineering: it might not be anywhere near relevant, but it will almost certainly be used at some point in the future.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Shock, horror: unsupervised chatbot can be subverted

At least, I think that's what the article said. But I think it was actually saying, that if you can guess the model that a particular bot is using, you can trick it into saying things it shouldn't.

Fortunately, there aren't many unsupervised chatbots out there doing anything. This is one of the reasons why Google, Amazon, et al. have been found out listening in to what people tell their "frozen" bots so that they can improve them, but basically they're just a front-end to existing systems.

I think domain-specific chatbots are vast improvement on the rules/script based approaches to first level support, but the key is keeping them dumb enough to do the task in hand and at least one API away from sensitive information: what they can't access, they can't divulge.

7. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Conversation

"Hi, how are you?"

"If you'd call more often, you'd know"

Oh, oh. This chat-bot has been taken over by Jewish mothers.

8. jake Silver badge

Anyone surprised?

AI researchers have been gaming like this with similar results since at least the 1960s. One wonders if the current crop of kids even bothered to read the research from back then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone surprised?

Not just AI reseachers .... probably around 10 years ago "activists" iin the US were gaming the Amazon recommendation system so people looking at books by republicans got "interesting" suggestions for what "people who lloked at this also looked at ...". Then there was the person who during the lead up to the 2nd Gulf War managed to seed webpages so that Google responded to a search for "Great French Military victories" returned results saying "did you mean Great French Military defeats" with a suitable page they'd produced as first choice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone surprised?

One wonders if the current crop of kids even bothered to read the research from back then.

Read??? What a quaint idea! The bunch at work can't be bothered to Read The Fine Manual for damned near every thing that they use, have the memory capacity of a gnat, with me having to keep reminding them of things that I've gone through with them.

9. arctic_haze

I wonder

What would I need to say to the AI chat-box to make it answer "Down with Emperor Palpatine"?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easily fixed

Don't allow further learning after the initial training in an automated fashion. That lets people get real time results for their tomfoolery.

Instead have it only use the training data, and carefully feed it additional training manually (which could be the conversations it had during its first month) and put this "smarter" chatbot out to a small population to for testing to make sure it didn't learn anything it you don't want it to.

Though I have to say if you are training it with 2.5 million Twitter conversations it would take a lot of effort to make it worse off!

11. Mike 137 Silver badge

"The agent is trained with 2.5 million human conversations on Twitter"

So Twitter is now the reference model for the quality of human discourse? To quote Private Frazer "We're doomed!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like