back to article Facebook campus death plunge: Cops say man jumped from 4th floor in apparent suicide

A Facebook employee died at the tech giant's Silicon Valley headquarters today in an apparent suicide. According to police, the person jumped from the fourth-floor of a building on the social network's sprawling campus in Menlo Park, California, at 11.30am. He was declared dead at the scene by emergency services, and foul play …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

"While the family is being notified, we have no information to share."

"While the family is being notified, we have no information to share other than with selected third party partners who may use that data to improve your overall Facebook experience by showing you targeted advertising for things you already own."

2. ecofeco Silver badge

So, the Chinese business model?

See title.

3. sbt

Sorry, this is sad news.

The scourge of suicide stalks people from all walks of life and it doesn't matter if you have a good job with a successful organisation. It can happen anywhere.

P.S. Please don't make jokes.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Sorry, this is sad news.

You don't know that he had a good job. If you're a Facebook moderator then your job is to examine posts for inappropriate content. This has been known to include videos of rape, kiddie pr0n, and in one notorious case a man murdering his own infant child. The stress is huge, the support is minimal - as you would expect from Zuck the Suck - and the staff turnover is high.

1. sbt

I didn't think their content moderators worked out of FB's head office. Thought they were contractors in cubes in cheaper locations.

I don't expect FB to be a great employer, given how they treat their customers, and yes, I've heard the horror stories about how the moderators are not well supported. There's nothing to suggest this person took their own life due to personal reasons or work reasons and seems unfair to speculate when nothing is known.

2. Tom 38

If you're a Facebook moderator then you don't work out of Menlo Park, you most likely work for a contractor (Cognizant) in Arizona.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

The only news

that I would like to hear emanating from that address is to hear that Zuckerberg is to fold the company and then dispose of the cash pile by following Gates' example

5. Claverhouse Silver badge

Is 'Passed Away' the correct phrase for jumping out of a window ?

1. Neoc

"Defenestrated".

And no, I am not trying to be funny. I was once put on suicide watch and then declared clinically depressed. I was one of the lucky one - I caught myself before it was too late.

6. BGatez

Which orphaned IoT device controlled the window locks?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like