back to article Hard luck, Claranet. You managed to go 29 whole days without an incident

Brit hosting provider Claranet found itself resetting the "29 days without incident" sign this morning as "connectivity issues" felled customer emails and websites all over again. Problems were first acknowledged at 10:23 BST, when the company's Twitter presence winced: "We are experiencing connectivity issues in one of our …

1. BigOrangeHelpdesk

Pre-cog.

My co made a big push last year to shift everything off of Claranet and move it in house. It’s lucky really, as we hosted 1000+ customer vms, I’m panicking just imagining the call volume we’d have had.

1. Danny 14

Re: Pre-cog.

I remember claranet from ages old. I didnt think they were still around. My first 512k adsl was with them (a step up from 256k cable modem from telewest)

2. Blockchain commentard
    FAIL

Fail me once, bad luck me. Fail me twice, get some sort of fucking resilience you muppets.

3. Paul 87

Two failures, at two different data centres and both times it's a) Power related and b) Disrupts the entire opperation.

Do you think they've failed to understand why data centres have at least two of everything?? Me thinks they have fwo power supplies, both feeding into one computer and it needing both to stay awake

1. Psmo

It's the same datacentre.

Possibly the Aircon isn't on UPS

1. phuzz Silver badge

I don't think I've ever heard of a place having redundant air-con.

Actually, now I say that, the last place I worked the 'server room' was just a disused office with a couple of racks in and a lock on the door. Because the room was big enough for two overhead aircon units, technically it was redundant (they weren't UPS powered though). Handy for when they had to be turned off for maintenance.

2. Danny 14

Or a clustering misconfig.

"You're in charge!"

"No YOU'RE in charge"

"Lets agree to just shut the clusters down...."

1. Spacedinvader
        Happy

A clusterfuck then

4. Phil Kingston

Claranet?

The name rings a bell. Would they have been my ISP like 20 years ago?

5. Matthew 3

"No news is bad news"?

Sad thing is, like lots of others here, this has made us realise this company still exists. Raising brand awareness from 'totally forgotten' to 'oh, yeah, them!' may well be seen as a PR success regardless of the reason why this happened.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess this is what happens when you buy a company called "NotSoSecure"....what did you expect?

https://www.notsosecure.com/notsosecure-joins-the-claranet-group/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon