back to article Ebuygumm doesn't break t' Nominet rules, eBay and Gumtree told

eBay and Gumtree have lost a legal fight to kill off a British wannabe rival thanks to Geoffrey Boycott's usage of a well-known Yorkshireism. Auto Claims Ltd, registrant of the ebuygumm.co.uk domain name, successfully saw off eBay and Gumtree by claiming its name is based on the old Yorkshire phrase "ee bah gum" and has …

1. Dwarf
    Joke

I thought thats how they took drugs up there - by manual application to the mouth, or as its known locally, E by gum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I thought thats how they took drugs up there

They have to and can't do it suppository style a la Trainspotting being tight arsed Yorkshire folk.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

What happens if you give a Yorkshireman 'E' ?

Presumably just miserable instead of bloody miserable

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

As a Yorkshire lad

I resemble that remark

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: As a Yorkshire lad

No Yorkshireman is going to take E.

Pay for summat as meks thee reet friendly t'other folks?

1. TomPhan

Re: As a Yorkshire lad

But if we're given it for free, of course we'll take it.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Trollface

Coming soon

Eckythump.com. Selling black puddings(*).

(*) Or for our US readers, puddings of colo(u)r.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. eamonn_gaffey

Re: Coming soon

Wrong side of the Pennines...........that's Lancashire slang.

3. jake Silver badge

No, it's called black pudding here in the US. Sorry to burst your bubble.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jake, as a US visitor, you might want to read this :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Kapers

1. jake Silver badge

I was in England when that episode first ran, and watched it with the rest of the country. But ta for the suggestion.

4. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

"(*) Or for our US readers, puddings of colo(u)r."

Or, for our US readers, illegal delicacy.

1. jake Silver badge

No, black pudding isn't illegal here in the states. I can think of three places here in Sonoma County that sell the real thing (vetted & OKed by my sister's Yorkshire born & bred FIL, and a couple friends from Scotland). It's made in-house, and sold over the counter, even.

5. Colin Wilson 2

African-American Pudding?

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Headmaster

No, Scottish Pudding, or [various parts of England] Pudding. One of those parts of England just happens to be called The Black Country, so that particular variant would be Black Country Pudding. Definitely not an African American thing. Their recepies are very different.

1. jake Silver badge

No, really katrinab, we have real black pudding here. It's even called black pudding. We also have Boudin, Zungenwurst, Biroldo, Morcilla, Gyurma, various Chineese and Korean variations on the theme and far too many others to name. One of the benefits of being a major melting pot is that we have all the good sausages from everywhere. Except Haggis, of course. But that's easy enough to make when you're harvesting sheep ...

2. jake Silver badge

No. Really. It's called black pudding here.

I find it absolutely hysterical that folks hate this concept enough to downvote me for saying it. What's the matter, downvoters? Are you xenophobic and/or racist?

3. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Careful with money?

He added, in a cheeky aside: "Yorkshire people are widely considered to be careful with money. Being careful with money might be seen as a good impression for an online marketplace to give."

I find that offensive. I'm not "careful with money", I'm "downright miserly" and chuffing proud of it!

1. TomPhan

Re: Careful with money?

One definition was that a Yorkshireman was a Scot with the generosity squeezed out.

1. Huw D

In a complete about face...

And copper wire was invented jointly by a Scot and a Yorkshireman fighting over a penny.

1. Spacedinvader
          Thumb Up

Re: In a complete about face...

Beat me to it!

2. Chris G

An English friend of mine who farms in Carmarthen told me Welsh farmers save all their old baling twine and hang it up with weights in the hope it will stretch. I think Yorkshire men and Scots have a bit of catching up to do.

1. jake Silver badge

I used to save bailing "wire" (these days it's baler twine). I used it to string up my tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, melons, peas, beans and the like. And then I calculated the hours I spent with the bits verses the cost of a new box of twine. I stopped saving the used bits.

(For those who don't click links, 20,000 feet of 110 lb test polypro line costs $25 ... )

1. Chris G

Amazingly, back in the '90s when I still keot horses, a lot of people would save a winter's worth of twine from feeding and then put it in the local farmer's auctions. Usually a decent bundle would fetch about a fiver. As you say, a baler spool cost peanuts.

2. dajames

And then I calculated the hours I spent with the bits verses the cost of a new box of twine. I stopped saving the used bits.

... but have you considered the impact of single-use polymer twine on the environment?

1. jake Silver badge

Looking at the big picture, I rather suspect that no matter how I choose to string up my veggies I still have a lower overall impact on the environment than the bozos sitting on five acres of lawn who purchase all their veggies at the supermarket. Hell, you don't need 5 acres, you can grow a good portion of your fruit & veg & nuts if your house sits on a .25 lot in town. I have apartment dwelling friends who grow all their herbs, and a tomato plant or three along with three or four chili plants on their balcony ... and enough micro greens for salad in their kitchen.

Besides, polypropylene is recyclable. It's not like I send it to the landfill. In fact, I encourage my neighbors to drop all their unwanted baler twine off here. A guy comes around to pick it up once or twice a year, whenever the 55 gallon drum gets full.

2. phuzz Silver badge
            Unhappy

My dad (who's from Croydon originally), saves up lengths of bailer twine, and will knot them together to make up the required length.

The amount of time I've spent trying to undo a knot in a manky old bit of bailer twine to shift something that he's tied down is ridiculous. It's bloody awful as rope at the best of times, especially the second hand bits of rubbish he uses.

3. jake Silver badge

As a schoolboy in Yorkshire, I heard it was over a farthing.

1. Huw D

Sorry, forgot you lot still use those... ;)

1. jake Silver badge

Not "us lot", I'm a Yank. The Brits don't use 'em either ... they were withdrawn from circulation in 1961. Odd fact, though ... (some) Shopkeepers were still accepting them as late as 1979 (that I am aware of).

2. Efer Brick

Re: Careful with money?

Why have ***men got long thing willys?

'cos they're tight fisted ***kers!

4. Alistair
    Windows

ebuygumm needs to have a payment handling website

I'd suggest ickyickyickyptangzoop.com

I'm guessing ni.com is taken.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?
      Joke

Re: ebuygumm needs to have a payment handling website

I'm guessing ni.com is taken.

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can post Ni at will on the internet! There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. LeahroyNake

How much

I'm wondering how much this cost all parties involved?*

Hopefully ebuygumm are not out of pocket and I'm guessing the media coverage is doing them good.

*have you looked at the prices Nominet charges for domain name disputes... Between £200 and £750. And it is up to them to decide, if you want to appeal £3000

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where did the H come from?

I always thought it was Mugabe spelled backwards.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"A Yorkshireman gave instructions for the headstone for his recently departed wife. He wanted the words "She was Thine" on the stone.

"A short time later he was told the headstone had been erected, so he went to the cemetery to check. He was horrified to read "She was Thin."

"Naturally, he went straight to the monumental masons to complain that they had left the "E" off his wife's headstone. He was assured the matter would be dealt with immediately. A day or so later he returned to the cemetery to view the corrected inscription, only to read:

"EE, She was Thin"

9. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

Wonder if they'll complain about my new Liverpudian site for selling stolen goods/drugs/whatever scousers do nowadays (!!!!!) .... merseybay.com

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?
      Joke

For a scouse auction site, I'd have gone with ayBay.com or possibly even ayayayBay.com

10. mark l 2 Silver badge

As someone who buys and sells regularly on ebay I found it amusing that ebay was found to be breaching the not as described complaint on this one.

Since ebay are notorious for allowing buyers to open 'not as described' claims for frivolous reasons to get the seller to pay for returns postage when they bought in error or just didn't like the item after purchasing. And it is very rare for ebay to side on the side of the seller in even when you appeal against the case.

11. Daedalus

Copyright infringement

Discerning listeners to the Beeb will recognize "Eebuygumm" as being first used in "Trueman & Riley", series 2, episode 1. Must have priority, don't you think?

12. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Holmes

Where There's Muck There's Brass

Items currently for sale on Ebuygumm include an unpainted wooden bog seat, a Ford Transit radio frontplate and dog flea medication.

Worth their weight in gold, come Brexit...

[ If a Yorkshireman could sound complacent. ]

13. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Ee bah gum means "oh my god" in the Yorkshire dialect.

Correction: bah is "by", not "my".

"the phrase is archaic, originated in Yorkshire and is used almost exclusively there, is not commonly used and will not be known to the majority of people outside Yorkshire or to young people"

IME it's used exclusively by people who think they're putting on a Yorkshire accent.

1. jake Silver badge

Personal experience suggests your estimation is faulty.

14. Totally not a Cylon
    Joke

Cultural appropriation!!!!!

Birmingham is in neither Yorkshire nor Lancashire, so they are stealing Northern Culture in a classic example of 'Cultural Appropriation'.

What next? Southerners adopting flat caps & whippets?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Cultural appropriation!!!!!

Worse ... This Yank has whippets. I drink bitter at cellar temperature, too.

But I draw the line at flat caps.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ebuyer?

I have never confused ebuyer with ebay. What a load of tosh that was.

16. Chronos
    Facepalm

Streisand Effect

That is all. They'll never learn, will they?

17. Barrie Shepherd

The publicity has been good for Ebuygumm.

They have just signed a lucrative deal with Yorkshire Airlines for low cost air fares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIn9hkxbbI

18. Ochib

Need to start selling my Scotish music player, it's called an Och-Aye Pod

19. Milton

It's Timmy Holedigger time again

Didn't Tommy Hilfiger once sue a business catering for pet dogs that used the phrase "Timmy Holedigger"? Some arse had to stand up in a court and claim with a straight face that the public would be confused and mistake the pet brand for Hilfiger ...

... and don't get me started on Chewy Vuiton ...

20. Ol'Peculier

There's a shop on Scarborough seafront that is called seabay.com using the eBay font and colours. Amazed they have got away with it for so long...

1. TwistedPsycho

A chicken shop in Reading has gone though Fernando's, sued by Nando's, then Fernandez, sued by a company 200 miles away and is an independent chicken restaurant, and is now called Manzano's.

If an independent chicken restaurant can she another independent chicken restaurant half way up the country ... anything is possible.

21. BiffoTheBorg

Clearly a coincidence

Apparently ebuygumm called Mike Rowe as an expert witness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like