back to article MIT boffins turn black up to 11 with carbon nanotubes that absorb 99.995% of light

Carbon nanotubes have peculiar properties. Not only do they have the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any known substance they can also absorb the most light, making them the blackest material yet. A pair of academics at MIT in the US discovered this when they decided to grow tiny carbon nanofibres on a slice of aluminium …

1. Blockchain commentard

Are you sure those rascals didn't just swipe the diamond?

1. Rich 11

"I have it, master, I have the diamond!"

"Well done, Igor. Now, finally, I can fund my true research project -- reanimating the corpse of Marilyn Monroe!"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is this different to vantablack, which has been around for years?

1. YetAnotherJoeBlow

I was wondering about that too... Or is this Vantablack? I think a new Ferrari is painted in Vantablack. The Ferrari looks like a shadow.

1. Tom 7

It will only look like a shadow until someone mistakes it for a shadow and shunts it into next week.

1. Steve Aubrey
          Joke

"It will only look like a shadow until someone mistakes it for a shadow and shunts it into next week."

Not if it's VantaBlack all the way down . . .

2. Dapprman

It was a BMW, not a Ferrari and it's Surrey NanoSystems latest version which is 'only 99.8 effective, however from any direction.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It was a BMW, not a Ferrari and it's Surrey NanoSystems latest version which is 'only 99.8 effective, however from any direction."

I wonder how hot it gets parked under a mid-day equatorial sun?

2. YetAnotherJoeBlow

Ferrari

Here is the Ferrari that I read about. Strange looking

https://www.google.com/search?q=ferrari+vantablack&hl=en

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Ferrari

How to drive an automotive photographer bonkers.

1. jake Silver badge

As a fairly decent amateur photographer, I beg to differ. That kind of thing is fun to capture ... you can usually find angles that nobody has ever looked at in any great detail before.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

How to drive an automotive photographer bonkers

I have similar issues taking photos of black cats - the autofocus just won't. My next camera will have the ability to manually focus, just like we did in the Good Old Days..

(Something to do with the fur absorbing the IR used I suspect)

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

How does it handle RF? Thinking about radar speed traps...

3. Trygve Henriksen

I honestly hope that the car(s) get stopped and impounded as painting a car with Vantablack or similar would make it unfit for use on a public road.

(I think BMW officials were prattling about selling a series of cars painted with the stuff )

1. jake Silver badge

"unfit for use on a public road"

How on earth did you come to that illogical conclusion?

I mean, being a pretentious prat with delusions of grandeur isn't illegal anywhere in the free world, and that's pretty much the only thing wrong with painting one's auto with the stuff, near as I can tell.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: "unfit for use on a public road"

Because in poor light conditions these cars can end up practically invisible?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

these cars can end up practically invisible

Much like every motorbike ever made. Under some circumstances anyway..

1. Trygve Henriksen

I wouldn't know about motorbikes, but one of the reason I stopped driving mopeds was that everyone drove past as if they never saw me. And I made certain that all the lights worked, added lots of freflex tags, and wor a bright orange vest with reflective stripes.

2. jake Silver badge

I don't know about in your country, but in my country we have lights on our cars specifically so they are visible in poor light conditions. Some actually shine forward, and are an aid in seeing other objects to avoid when driving. Most of us don't drive beyond the range of our headlights.

If you are worried about it being parked on the street where you might accidentally walk into it, I seriously doubt that a car like that will ever be parked at night in any location that will inconvenience you, so there's no need to lose any sleep over the concept.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Hypotethically...

It's a rainy evening and you're heading home after slaving for minutes in the server room... And spening 10 hours writing the change logs...

There's no streetlights because it's out in the boondocks somewhere, and you see a solitary red light up ahead, possibly with a orange light blinking to the left of it(Brits: imagine that it's to the right instead)

Probably a motorbike about to turn off up ahead...

You can't really se it because of reflections and of course the lights from oncoming traffic. So you position yourself to the right(or the left if you're a Brit), closer to the edge of the road to give him a decent margin as you slip past...

And SMACK straight into the rightand back corner of the expensive blackpainted car with a broken taillight...

I'm not kidding about this situation. I was so very close to do that once, and that car wasn't even covered in Vantablack, just regular black.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, I once had a Datsun 280Z that I painted flat black. Got hit by a pizza delivery guy, a taxi and a used car salesman. Even with headlights, they couldn't see me at night until it was too late... I hated selling that car, but I felt a lot safer when it was gone...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Paratrooping Parrot
      Mushroom

Must make sure that nobody associated with Anish Kapoor is allowed to use it.

4. Persona

Vanatblack is only as black (99.96%) when the light is perpendicular to the surface. This new stuff manages that in all directions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Aah right. Thanks! :)

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Go

That's really going to peeve Anish Kapoor, then.

5. eldakka

According to wikipedia, Vantablack will also absorb up to 99.96% of light. And that it is based on carbon nanotubes, and it is exclusively licensed to Anish Kapoor's studio for artistic use.

I don't know, maybe it's effectively a parallel developed Vantablack that doesn't need to be licensed - unless MIT require a license for it?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Vantablack v MIT

MIT got the number wrong, and issued a clarification. This new material absorbs 99.995 per cent of light, more than Vantablack (at 99.96%). We've tweaked our article to reflect that (no pun intended)

C.

1. Clunking Fist

Re: Vantablack v MIT

Well, it was an illuminating article. It always helps to shed light on what research is happening. Think about it: someone reading this could have a light-bulb moment, thinking of an amazing use for this material. E.g. it was a bright spark who salvaged that super glue as Post-It Notes.

Re: Vantablack v MIT

thinking of an amazing use for this material

Making panic button for use on a starship bridge? It can be set into a control panel made of the same stuff..

6. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

According to MIT, its material "reflected 10 times less light than all other superblack materials, including Vantablack"

MIT should have said 99.995% not 99.96% - we've updated our article after the uni issued a clarification.

C.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Details, my dear Watson, details

How is this different to vantablack, which has been around for years?

As usual, you need to look at the original research article to figure this out, since press-summaries of these things tend to be incomplete or even misleading (and the el Reg is not the worst offender by far - at least they do provide easy links to the original publications!). Quoting from the abstract of the paper:

... CNT–metal hierarchical architectures demonstrate omnidirectional blackbody photoabsorption with the reflectance of 1 × 10–5 over the range from ultraviolet to terahertz region ...

There are two obvious differenced to Vantablack here: to begin with, the reflectance is much lower - it absorbs 99.99% of the incoming light (Vantablack is at 99.96%). Secondly, the absorbtion is broad-band, covering the wavelength range of 10+ micrometers to sub-400 nanometers. This is something Vantablack can't do: it needs to be tuned for a specific spectral range. This second property is particularly interesting, and (without reading the article) likely has to do with the coating incorporating not just the nanotubes, but also the horns and pits formed by etching the surface metal and metal-oxide.

On the other side of the equation is the fact that Vantablack is commercially available, alreary good enough for many purposes, and can be applied to a broader variety of surfaces than the treatment described in the article (if it can really be brought outside of a lab - that remains to be seen).

1. Charles 9

Re: Details, my dear Watson, details

Then it would have three interesting properties, then, since this stuff is omni-directional whereas Vantablack only works in specific directions.

3. Tim99 Silver badge

Black - pffft

"It's so ... black!" said Ford Prefect, "you can hardly make out its shape ... light just seems to fall into it!"...

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it....

"Look at this," said Ford, "look at the interior of this ship."...

"It's black," said Ford, "Everything in it is just totally black ..."

..."It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me," said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, "Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?"

The walls of the swaying cabin were also black, the ceiling was black, the seats - which were rudimentary since the only important trip this ship was designed for was supposed to be unmanned - were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when they had lifted up a corner of it they had discovered that the foam underlay also was black.

"Perhaps whoever designed it had eyes that responded to different wavelengths," offered Trillian.

"Or didn't have much imagination," muttered Arthur.

"Perhaps," said Marvin, "he was feeling very depressed."

1. stuartnz

Re: Black - pffft

Like every frood here, I think of this line every time I read of vantablack or its ilk, but even more I'm genuinely awestruck at how tech-prescient the late and much-lamented DNA really was. In so many different fields of science and tech, some gem of a line from HHGTTG seems to fit perfectly for a cutting-edge development, despite having been penned ~40 years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

"Like every frood here ..."

Quite and yet someone decided to DV you and deduct an internet point off you. Your post is surely universally acceptable here. I can see some grammatical errors that are quite acceptable (no worse than mine) and some wandering commas (just like mine, when I get going.)

Someone's heart is black, very black. Could even be 99.97% black.

1. stuartnz

"I can see some grammatical errors that are quite acceptable (no worse than mine) and some wandering commas "

I blame my copy of Dan Streetmentioner's book - it's mostly blank.

2. 9Rune5

That down vote is probably a cry for help. Maybe someone is stuck in a mineshaft and the only reachable part of the screen happened to be the down vote button.

Someone ought to notify the authorities.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Thumb Up

F... f... f... fff. fff. fact! I ache, therefore I am.

Or in my case: I am, therefore I ache.

Oh look: I appear to be lying at the bottom of a very deep, dark hole. That seems a familiar concept, what does it remind me of? Ahhh. I remember: life.

Perhaps if I lie here and ignore it, it’ll go away again.

Or then again, perhaps not.

To be perfectly frank with myself, if it didn’t go away as a result of me falling fifteen miles through the air and a further mile through solid rock, I’m probably stuck with it for good.

Why don’t I just lie here anyway?

Why don’t I climb out?

Why don’t I just go “zutel-wortle?”

Does it matter?

Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?

Zutel-wortle, zutel-wortle, zutel-wortle…

He'll get out in a while, he'll start to enjoy it too much

2. jake Silver badge

Perhaps they are tired of the same-old-same-old? I mean, c'mon, we've all read the books. Most of us have probably read them a couple of times, or even many times. (mis)Quoting bloody great chunks of them at every opportunity proves what, exactly? That you are part of some exclusive club? That you are the forefront of wit? Perhaps you think it shows your vast intelligence? Hardly ...

1. stuartnz

A fair point in general perhaps, but the specific down-vote in question was given to my post, which did not quote from Adams' work at all.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Perhaps people continue to quote the great man to allow the curmudgeonly amongst us to exercise their $deity-given right to piss on other people's fireworks :)

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Once again Jake assuming everyone is the same as himself*.

Lots of people nowadays have not read H2G2.

(*I'm not a twat, so bad assumption)

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Someone ought to notify the authorities

Don't worry - Skippy and Lassie are already on the case.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We've long suspected that a Vogon lurks in the Reg comments. Fortunately he has so far stuck to downvoting, and has not subjected us to poetry.

2. hammarbtyp

I was going to upvote, but it had got to 42, so i had to leave it there

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

let's see if someone spoils it (I won't)

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

I still want a T shirt that aborbs 99.x% of light...

I'm currently wearing one that says "I'm only wearing black until they make something darker"

yeah awesome coincidence, too. It was simply the next one in my T shirt rotation.

Gold writing on whatever black this one will be called (MIT black?). that'd be AWESOME for sure!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These articles / pictures make me wish

I had an OLED monitor so I could fully enjoy the absolute blackness. Or at least as much as a display covered in something as reflective as glass could be enjoyed. Now if only they could design a nanotube coating that allowed 100% of light in one direction, none in the other, and was 100% non reflective in either direction while preserving carbon's scratch resistance in its diamond form rather than its lack of in its graphite form it would make the ultimate display coating...

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: These articles / pictures make me wish

Wouldn't that mean you could know watch one pixel while positioned dead on centre to the screen?

5. Chris G

The darkest black?

Nah! I just don't see it.

6. Alister

A 16.78-carat yellow diamond worth $2 million has been covered in the carbon nanotubes

That seems a rather extravagant way of demonstrating the point.

"Oh yes, we really need to spend $2 million on a diamond for our research"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You missed the 'New York Stock Exchange as part of an art exhibit'

People there probably absorb and dissipate common sense better than those nanotube with light...

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

Perhaps the real experiment was to cheaply create expensive diamonds, and the black material thing is just a smoke-screen?

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

spend $2 million on a diamond for our research

Closely followed by "yes boss, it's still there but our research was so good you can't see it any more. I'll tell you all about it when I get back from my extended beach holiday in the Bahamas.".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Other uses

> There are other possible practical applications for this material too.

See icon.

Re: Other uses

Yeah, my first thought too was what the military might do with this.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Vantablack is already classified as a miltary "hardware" and therefore has strict export and sales criteria.

1. jake Silver badge

"classified as a miltary "hardware""

Cite? Not doubting you, I'm curious. I collect such nonsense.

I think I'll wear my PGP-in-perl T-shirt into town this afternoon ...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

has strict export and sales criteria

Where said criteria is "do they have lots and lots of money to pay for it?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>See icon.

No face-huggers? Are you sure?

3. eldakka
      Facepalm

While useful at night - an overcast, moonless one at that - during the day (or in lit areas) i'd hope people would notice a black chunk taken out of the surroundings...

8. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Facepalm

Do the nanotubes wash off

Or have they turned A $2M Diamond into a very chique piece of coal?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do the nanotubes wash off

Well, in many ways a diamond is already a very pure piece of coal....

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Alien

Something I learned from a old Superman comic, years ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CytwiCZWQAA3pa_.jpg

2. razorfishsl

No it is not.....

different forms of carbon have different lattice structures......

9. Ozzard
    Meh

Metal *and* black? I know some people...

As a closet cybergoth, I think "Shut up and take my money" is the appropriate comment here.

10. Noel Morgan

Father Ted

But is it as black as Priests socks?

https://youtu.be/N8VFecEzkgk?t=34

Sorry about the crappy quality, only copy of it I could find.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Father Ted

Phew, I was worried we had the H2G2 reference but not the FT one until I saw this.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Father Ted

Here’s another one then.

Does the really tiny amount of light that gets away look like “The Colour of Magic”?

I’ll get my cape.

11. AceRimmer1980
    IT Angle

I think

I shall have to get the black out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIW9sL-Yf6Q

12. Phil Bennett

Specific

"It’s probably down to the material itself and its structure."

As opposed to, say, evil unicorns? What exactly could influence colour that isn't covered by material and structure, given we're talking about something at a fixed temperature?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Specific

Perhaps they've accidentally created the perfect spawning ground for microscopic light-eating gnomes?

Re: Specific

gnomes

Pah! Gnomes are almost as bad as hobbitses..

13. The_Idiot

Cue for a song...

... with apologies to Los Lobos.

Black is black, I want my diamond back

It's safe to say, my rock's done gone away, oh oh

Damn nanotubes, 'cos they're carbon too...

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Cue for a song...

<cough> Los Bravos, surely? </cough>

1. The_Idiot

Re: Cue for a song...

I blush, and you are of course correct. Could I get away with 'it's old age and too much Tequila'?

14. jake Silver badge

And of course ...

... poor old Brian Wardle managed to get some on his elbow, and failed to notice it. His wife will be giving him hell for the next several dozen years after he inadvertently smeared it on the new white sofa. We can all learn from this ... but sadly we won't.

15. Aqua Marina

Whoops we did it again

“weren’t trying to make XXX in their experiments. Instead, they wanted to find new ways to YYY”

I’ve lost count over the years of the number of useful scientific discoveries made with the phrase above preceding the description.

I like science!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Boffin

Re: Whoops we did it again

As has oft been said, the greatest discoveries were not met with the utterance 'Eureka!' but 'hmm, that's odd.'

2. VonDutch

Re: Whoops we did it again

Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter had the right idea in "The Long Earth". Set up a serendipital lab. Because so many useful discoveries were made by accident, set up an environment where accidents were more likely to happen to increase the pace of discovery.

16. ThatOne Silver badge

Blackest material

> “Someone will find a blacker material"

Done: The blackest material is by definition a black hole, since no light can escape it.

Of course one could argue if a black hole is actually "a material", but I'd tend to say it is, given it's (some form of) matter. Unfortunately the commercial applications of black holes are rather limited.

Re: Blackest material

"Unfortunately the commercial applications of black holes are rather limited."

Oh, I don't know. Tow trucks for planets or stars is an obvious application. Careful positioning to counteract gravity for zero G sports at indoor arenas, powering you TARDIS, and so on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Done: The blackest material is by definition a black hole, since no light can escape it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

1. Baldrickk

That's not escaping the black hole - that's from juuuuust outside the edge of the event horizon, or should that be that the Schwarzschild radius?

waiiiiiit a second... Were they making a clever joke about black holes in SpaceBalls?

1. Charles 9

Don't think so. Based on my recollection, black holes really didn't figure into the humor of the film. Lot of crude humor as well as multiple knocks at various sci-fi flicks, but no black holes as I recall. You're probably thinking of the Schwartz, their joke on Star Wars' Force: pretty basic joke until the Dark Helmet fight when they went into Double Entendre territory.

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

Whilst a black-hole is formed of matter, it is not the structure of the matter that causes it to be so black, but the gravitational effect that matter has on space-time, and light in particular.

Whilst I sympathize with your argument, it simply lacks practical applications in the current market and would most likely be too expensive to keep replacing the planet.

17. Milton

The obvious question

The obvious question—assuming that light is being trapped, internally reflected and ultimately turned to heat— seems to be: could this be the basis of an efficient solar heating system? No doubt it's so obvious that everyone and his penguin has thought of it. I'm a little intrigued by the notion of black-faced capillary tubes turning incident solar radiation directly into hot liquid, self-circulating through a baby turbogenerator for useful power ... but I wonder what the use case would be compared with the big, typically desert-based solar furnace systems that concentrate acres of sunlight into a boiler. Perhaps too niche and small-scale?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: The obvious question

That was my exact first thought!

Were you reading my (black) mind?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The obvious question

"The obvious question—assuming that light is being trapped, internally reflected and ultimately turned to heat— seems to be: could this be the basis of an efficient solar heating system?"

It's gonna depend on the wavelength(s) being emitted.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Aye

My Nan makes a black pudding that’s so black, even t’white bits are black, happens.

19. Christoph

"will be able to properly engineer the ultimate black.

'Ultimate' black depends how you define the frequency range you are measuring. Even if you can get it to reflect zero visible light, it's still going to emit infra-red (or longer waves if it's really chilled) since it's not at absolute zero.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Perhaps you should read up on black body radiation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: black body radiation

" An object that absorbs all radiation falling on it, at all wavelengths, is called a black body. When a black body is at a uniform temperature, its emission has a characteristic frequency distribution that depends on the temperature. Its emission is called black-body radiation. "

Christoph appears to be correct here.

20. innominatus

Sure it's black?

Father Ted - That's right, Dougal. You see, ordinary shops sell what look like black socks, but if you look closely, you'll see that they're very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But how black are copper nanotubes?

Reminded my of this classic Reg story:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/09/nanotube_acronyms/

Like looking into a black hole... ?

22. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Black

as "the inside of a coffin on a moonless night"?

Beverly Hills Ninja (1997)

"The blackness of my belt is like the inside of a coffin on a moonless night."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118708/quotes/qt0196941

23. razorfishsl

Now if they can just couple this with photo voltaic materials.... they can capture and use all the photons.....

24. canthinkofagoodname

...Blackest Material Yet...

(in the voice of Nathan Explosion)

Brutal

25. VikiAi
    Happy

Got any?

Sadly, couldn't find it on YouTube. It predates the public internet a tad.

I recall the 'Black to School' adverts of a regional shoe seller, selling black sneakers/joggers/trainers for schoolwear and featuring a slightly (ie: not over-done to the point of stupid) goth-looking kid in a shoe store being presented with a range of colourful shoes and saying in a very flat voice after each pair...

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

"Got any black?"

Finally when presented with the desired completely-black-coloured running shoes, asks:

"Got any blacker?"

30+ years later, His wish has been granted.

26. Jock in a Frock

Couldn't be blacker than my ex-wife's heart.....

27. Bill Michaelson

Suitable for a new car model.

The Chevy Abyss.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still waiting for the cloak

The cloak is described as fuligin, “which is darker than black, admirably erases all folds, bunchings and gatherings so far as the eye is concerned, showing only a featureless dark.”

1. Sam Therapy
      Thumb Up

Re: Still waiting for the cloak

Chapeau! I was waiting for a Shadow of the Torturer reference.

In return, I will mention Spinal Tap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like