back to article Microsoft plays chicken with Extended Support for Exchange 2010 end date and swerves first

Microsoft has blinked and told customers that support for Exchange 2010 is to be kicked back from 14 January 2020 to 13 October of the same year. The move comes after the company took a long, hard look at just how many installs of its elderly email server were out there and realised that users simply weren't migrating at a …

1. Shadow Systems

But what we really want to know...

Will Win3.11ForWorkgroups get updated any time soon? I've got a server I need to upgrade to Win95A and I need a bit more time to finish the transition.

*Coughs, chokes, & laughs myself sick*

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Coat

Re: But what we really want to know...

Stick with Windows for Playgroups - '95 isn't really worth the hassle. I'd wait for NT4 if I were you...

2. LeahroyNake

Exchange migration

From personal experience the hardest migration was from exchange 2003 to 2010. If im really honest moving the hardware to Vsphere at the same time was an act of genius as it got a lot of hardware replaced under the same budget and was a weekend or work. 2010 to 2013 was an overnight job after preparing for a week and simple in comparison. (used free 3 month licenses for Server 2008 or 2012not r2 etc)

'You'll have to go to Exchange 2013 or 2016 and then to 2019 if the cloud is not for you.' I'm not sure you have to go thorough each one in turn but why not wait out the license on your existing setup and maybe go straight to 2022.... That is If they make its available for on premise?

On premise is still cheaper than 365 for more than ~30 users especially if you have the Vsphere capacity already..... Not taking my wages into account obviously ;)

Now if I could just make Thunderbird look like Outlook 2013... Naaaa the boss would never sign it off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Exchange migration

a SMB server 2019 version on premise would be nice ..

but we are pushed from SMB server 2011 premium towards the expensive cloud ..

1. Rockets

I'm in the same boat for my Dad's business. We've currently got a SBS 2011 server that does everything they need for 6 users. Going to have to push them to Office 365 but we own Office 2016 so only going to get Office 365 Business Essentials which is Exchange, Sharepoint, Teams and OneDrive. We did a TCO of full O365 Business Premium and looked at the EOL for Office 2016. It was cheaper to buy Office 2016 outright. The benefit of O365 for Exchange is I don't have to worry about backing it up any more.

1. Locky

"The benefit of O365 for Exchange is I don't have to worry about backing it up any more"

You sure? Account failures can happen and in that case, MS has no path back for your data. They are great about protecting against hardware failure, but account failure, not so much

1. Is It Me

This.

You still need backups, and most of the options I have seen are backup as a service to some form of cloud back end so you have lots of nice monthly costs.

3. FF22

Makes no sense

It makes no sense for Microsoft to prolong the support of the Exchange server, but not that of the Windows Server it runs on. So, I'm pretty sure that they will announce shortly that they have also extended the free support end for Windows Server 2008. They just don't want to make the announcement too early, because that would stop a lot of people from migrating to a newer version of Windows Server already now.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Makes no sense

"It makes no sense for Microsoft to prolong the support of the Exchange server, but not that of the Windows Server it runs on."

Exchange 2010 is supported on Server 2012 and 2012 R2, both of which are supported until Oct 2023, somewhat aligning with Win 8.1 lifecyle.

Server 2008 shares the codebase with Vista, Server 2008 R2 with Windows 7.

Since most of the Win7 patches apply to 2008 R2 and vice versa, it is logical that both meet their demise at the same time. 2008 (sans R2) is the oddball here since Vista was already killed couple years ago.

4. Locky

W7 extension

They have offered one, with caveats

"Starting June 1st, EA and EAS customers with active subscription licenses to Windows 10 Enterprise E5, Microsoft 365 E5, or Microsoft 365 E5 Security (as of December 31, 2019) will get Windows 7 Extended Security Updates for Year 1 as a benefit. With this limited-time promotion, customers have more options to continue receiving Windows 7 security updates after end of support"

https://www.microsoftpartnercommunity.com/t5/UK-Modern-Workplace-Community/New-Windows-7-ESU-Promo-with-Windows-E5-and-Microsoft-365-E5/gpm-p/10129

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like