back to article UK Home Office primes Brexit spam cannon for a million texts reminding folk to check passports

The UK Home Office will send a million text messages reminding people that the rules for travelling to the European Union will change in the event of a no-deal Brexit on 31 October. The texts will go to anyone who provided a mobile number when applying for their passport. The Home Office warns that with many people changing …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

First problem, right here ...

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office believes that British citizens will continue to be able to visit EU countries without a visa for stays of up to 90 days.

"Believes" ? I'd much rather they fucking knew

Belief is for Father Christmas. Knowledge is what you need when you're across from a person with a machine gun.

Oh, of course they can't know - because nobody else knows either (looks at calendar).

1. DavCrav

Re: First problem, right here ...

"Oh, of course they can't know - because nobody else knows either (looks at calendar)."

They cannot know because it's not up to them, it's up to the EU27.

1. Ben Tasker

> They cannot know because it's not up to them, it's up to the EU27.

But they would know if our side had actually had an achievable and quantifiable position, rather than "no, fuck you".

It's not the EU that's brought us to the edge of uncertainty, it's our lot - particularly those Brexiters who insisted on the one true Brexit whilst failing to define what that is and how it'd actually work.

I mean, the blonde twat is still going on about replacing the backstop with "Alternative Arrangements", but still hasn't been able to explain how they'll work, and why, if they will work he's so concerned about the backstop being there in case they don't.

Edit: to add an IT angle - how many of us would accept a change request that said "we don't like the way this works, change it", and then refused to give any further information on what they don't like, or what they would like?

2. Keith Langmead

> They cannot know because it's not up to them, it's up to the EU27

I'd argue it's firmly in our court to decide. The EU have already made it clear that they're perfectly happy to allow VISA free tourist travel after we leave, IF and only if we agree to have a reciprocal arrangement.

See: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20190403IPR34819/brexit-reciprocal-visa-free-access-for-eu-and-uk-nationals

It's our government that either rejected that or failed to confirm they would allow it (can't remeber which they said at the time), but the ball is firmly in their court to allow or prevent is from having VISA free travel in Europe.

1. Warm Braw

the ball is firmly in their court

The government has taken away parliament's ball and said it doesn't believe in courts either ...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And Parliament has taken away the Government's ball and does not believe in either referenda or elections. Stalemate.

2. DavCrav

"It's our government that either rejected that or failed to confirm they would allow it (can't remeber which they said at the time), but the ball is firmly in their court to allow or prevent is from having VISA free travel in Europe."

Except that's not true. You can *believe* or *think* that if you offer visa-free travel to EU27, well EEA+CH+..., they will reciprocate. However, that's not the same as knowing. That was my only point.

And just because they said that will happen, doesn't mean it will. There's a whole new top team at the EC, the other EC, and the EP, starting on the 1st of November, and they are not necessarily bound by their predecessors pronouncements that are not in writing and ratified.

1. Keith Langmead

"Except that's not true. You can *believe* or *think* that if you offer visa-free travel to EU27, well EEA+CH+..., they will reciprocate. However, that's not the same as knowing. That was my only point."

I don't believe or think anything, I know (as confirmed by that link) that the EU have already voted in favour of the matter. So assuming it was adopted by the Council of Ministries, it's already enshined in EU law.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And that has been put in writing already. So yes, there is *knowing*, really.

Also, the agreement requires first and foremost the sign off of the 27 separate countries, which are still above the EC and the EP: each of them can veto the whole thing. So what they managed to agree on previously is not going to be suddenly transformed into something completely different.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-news-latest-eu-visa-free-travel-agreement-no-deal-passports-a8757901.html

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>the agreement requires first and foremost the sign off of the 27 separate countries, which are still above the EC and the EP: each of them can veto the whole thing.

So how did the other 27 manage to "take back control" and "retain sovereignty" ?

3. Avatar of They

Regardless of who is at the top of the EU, the same red lines will remain, there will still be the same stances on free movement, right to settle, custom and trade etc. They are the founding rules of the EU.

And the 27 countries haven't changed so the EU top brass who are there to represent the 27 won't change the stance, they may just chance the rhetoric.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It's our government that either rejected that or failed to confirm they would allow it"

Or haven't got round to thinking about it yet. This is detail stuff. They only want to deal with big ideas, who needs details?

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>They cannot know because it's not up to them, it's up to the EU27.

But only if BoJo & Mogg agree to the WA before 31-Oct...

No deal means the decision (wrt to UK passports) is up to each individual member nation's government...

But since BoJo et al don't know whether they will or will not sign a deal, no one else in government can either and hence plan...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

.No deal means the decision (wrt to UK passports) is up to each individual member nation's government...

Unlikely, since visitors from other non-EU countries like the USA need a "Shengen visa" for those of the 27 that are in Schengen, so that same top-level rule would apply when deciding about the UK.

And, of course, the Schengen countries were already planning to introduce a visa for non-Schengen visitors anyway.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Schengen is not EU...

It is up to the members of Schengen to decide what their rules are for non-Schengen visitors, a decision that doesn't involve Brussels (ie. EU). So effectively, when it comes to the free movement of UK people across the EU27, with Brexit the UK is giving away control...

1. jonfr

Schengen is part of EU. It is a EU law.

As explained here on EU websites.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/council-eu/preparatory-bodies/working-party-schengen-matters/

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/council-eu/configurations/jha/

Since UK was never part of the Schengen area it never took part in its polices and laws related to the Schengen area.

2. Colin 29

Have you seen the messages on motorway information screens? You might need different documents on Nov 1st so you need to check (but we don't know yet so there's no way for you to check).

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Presumably the matrix signs on the M25 just saying "Panic" would have side effects ?

1. Anonymous Custard
          Trollface

It's more what the ones above the M20 down towards Dover might say that I'd be concerned about...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, you won't be able to get that close to Dover on the M20 soon...

2. monty75

They obviously ran out of space. It should say "Please check, and if you find out, could you please let us know?"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, how does it work today for residents of the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man? They are British citizens and British passport holders, but not in the EU. Do they need a visa? My understanding is that they do not, the EEA countries choose to ignore the situation because it would be too complex to handle. Which is probably what they'll do after Brexit, until a formal deal is agreed.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        Holmes

They hold a British passport, and thus fall under the same rules as everyone else who holds that passport.

You don't have to live somewhere to be a citizen of that country.

My other half has dual citizenship, and I know some people with triple citizenship. I can assure you that they're only resident in one of them at a time.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

They hold a British passport, and thus fall under the same rules as everyone else who holds that passport.

That is not correct. There are a number of different types of British nationality and British passports, relating to right of residence among other things. The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are British, but not part of the UK (and hence not part of the EU) and islanders have "British Islands" passports.

Protocol 3 of the UK treaty of accession to the EEC says that the channel islands are treated as being within the EU for most of the purposes of the free movement of goods but outside the EU for other purposes, in particular for free movement of persons and services. A channel islander has no automatic right to live or work in other EU countries, but for convenience most of the EU seems to be happy to ignore that.

You don't have to live somewhere to be a citizen of that country.

True, but irrelevant. Channel Islanders are British citizens of the Channel Islands, they are not UK citizens, no matter where they live.

4. jonfr

I have few corrections for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Entry into Schengen area for a country without an active agreement with EU on visa free access means that visa is required for entry into Schengen area. You have to apply at minimum fifteen days before arriving to the consulate in the country where you are going to. If you are travelling to many countries in Schengen you have to apply for an visa for each country within the Schengen area.

This is all public information on EU website, https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/how_to_apply_en

1. MJB7
        Headmaster

Re: Visiting multiple Schengen countries

"If you are travelling to many countries in Schengen you have to apply for an visa for each country within the Schengen area." That's wrong. From the very first paragraph in the page you linked to:

"if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, [you must apply to] the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period."

1. jonfr

You can be dismissed at the border of an other Schengen country inside the Schengen area.

"[...] If you intend to visit several Schengen States and the stays will be of equal length, you must apply at the Consulate of the country whose external borders you will cross first when entering the Schengen area. [...]"

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/how_to_apply_en

"[....] Your short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. At border or during other controls you may, for instance, have to provide information on your means of support, how long you intend to stay in the Schengen State, and why you are visiting the Schengen State.

In some cases, such checks may result in a refusal for the visa holder to enter the Schengen State or the Schengen area. [...]"

Source: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/schengen_area_en

Equally. Visa permit is going to be required for EU citizen to enter UK from 1st November 2019. I don't know what the visa policy of the UK is going to be for people from EU/EEA. If they have any visa policy. I am not sure they have a visa policy.

You can be dismissed at the border of an other Schengen country inside the Schengen area.

There are no borders inside the Schengen area, that's the whole idea. The other points you quote relate to moving from a non-Schengen EU country to a country within the Schengen areas. As the text you quotes says "of the country whose external borders you will cross first when entering the Schengen area".

You only need a single Schengen visa to enter the Schengen area. We see this a lot with US visitors, the ones who travel on US passports can use visa-waiver rules to go to any EU country, but those with, say, Indian passports have to apply for one visa for all Schengen countries, and separate visas for each non-Schengen country (like the UK or Ireland) which they also want to visit

Visa permit is going to be required for EU citizen to enter UK from 1st November 2019. I don't know what the visa policy of the UK is going to be for people from EU/EEA. If they have any visa policy. I am not sure they have a visa policy.

They have, see https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit "Visas: you should not need one for short trips. After Brexit, you will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals", and if the EU doesn't impose a visa on UK citizens there's no reason for the UK to require one for EU citizens. Most countries work on that sort of reciprocal arrangement, UK passport holders can travel to 183 countries without a visa. I think the "best" passport for that is a German one which allows visa-free travel to 187 countries. When ETIAS comes into effect in 2021 it will probably affect UK citizens, who will need pre-approval (not quite the same as a visa).

2. Dwarf

Genuine e-mail, honest gov.

And queue the scammers and spammers who will try and send out related e-mails in 3, 2, 1,

1. macjules
      Angel

Re: Genuine e-mail, honest gov.

65,000,000 x £1000 fine per spammed user = One very happy ICO Christmas Party 2019

1. fajensen

Or 65000000 cases closed in record time so the police leadership gets their performance bonus!

2. Ochib

However there is a small chance that the spam is coming from a country that isn't covered by an English court.

3. Avatar of They
        Thumb Up

Fairly sure I ticked the box that said 'no marketing' and other information from the Govt. Looking forward to lodging an EU GDPR complaint about Brexit to the Passport office.

1. nsld

I would argue that legitimate interest in notifying you to check the validity of your passport isn't marketing.

Arguably the country could say its a vital interest issue to prevent havoc at ports and airports of people being turned away.

1. Andrew Jones 2

They *could* argue it, but it's also equally valid to respond that there cannot possible be anyone in the country that doesn't know about October 31st. Every news bulletin has Brexit stuff in it, every news related satire show has Brexit related news in it, every newspaper has Brexit related news in it, almost every single day there is Brexit news on the front page of the newspapers. The Government are running TV adverts. If there is anyone in the UK who has managed to not know about Brexit for the last 3 years - I want to know their secret....

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Behold, the results of what happens when both sides of a debate lie to you and expect you to make a rational decision.

Stop this idiocy now and bury BREXIT in the hole it deserves.

1. Rich 11

I'd be only too happy to see Brexit buried in a ditch underneath the corpulent corpse of the conservative conman currently crapping on the country.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. cantankerous swineherd
        2. veti Silver badge

Pro tip: when you're posing as a Brit commenter, set your spellchecker to British English.

You're welcome.

2. Len
      Headmaster

The problem is that to "bury" it you'd essentially need to revoke the Article 50 notification. That's obviously possible, all it needs is the prime minister to sign a letter and someone to jump on the Eurostar to deliver it and Bob's your uncle. Thanks to a CJEU ruling (C-621/18 WIghtman and others) we even know that the other 27 can't refuse revocation. It would prevent potential humanitarian issues such as medicine and food shortages etc. It would solve most future economic damage and could be a starting to point towards repairing some of the damage.

The main problem is that technically "Brexit" may then have stopped, all the surrounding resentment between various groups in society, politicians (corrupt and otherwise) and family members will remain. The vault lines in society will remain. It will probably take a generation to heal so in some form "Brexit" will not go away.

Ideally there would be some political party that would stand on a platform of "Revoke and rebuild the UK" to sort out the real ills of British society, including the ones that led to disenfranchisement, feelings of neglect, unhappiness with the status quo etc. That would go a long way.

Unfortunately I haven't figured out what to do about the largest group of Leave voters, the middle aged Tory voters in the south (and I know quite a few of those). I can think of a couple of things to make life better for the "left-behind" but what on earth should we do for the Leavers at the golf clubs of Surrey to improve their lives and forget about their Leave vote? Raise the motorway speed limit? Reverse the smoking ban?

1. DavCrav

"The main problem is that technically "Brexit" may then have stopped, all the surrounding resentment between various groups in society, politicians (corrupt and otherwise) and family members will remain. The vault lines in society will remain. It will probably take a generation to heal so in some form "Brexit" will not go away."

Sorry, I read that as

The main problem is that technically "Brexit" may then have actually happened, but, all the surrounding resentment between various groups in society, politicians (corrupt and otherwise) and family members will remain. The fault lines in society will remain. It will probably take a generation to heal so in some form "Brexit" will not go away.

Might as well cancel Brexit, because the underlying problems won't be magically healed just because Brexit happens. Instead, if and when it does happen, we will have

1) A bunch of bastard gloating racists, who got what they wanted (leave the EU) but not what they want (kick out all the Pakis). And are also annoyed when Brexit turns out to be complete shit.

2) All the most educated and useful people in society, who were utterly betrayed by politicians, and who now hate the part of the population from 1). They both didn't get what they wanted and their lives are turned upside down by said bastard racists. The most nimble ones are packing up and taking their skills with them. Those that remain are bitter and want to see the bastard racists suffer.

3) A bunch of hedge fund people who made a killing off Brexit using the resulting money to try to push the UK into some kind of dystopian cross between the US and Singapore.

4) Everyone thinking that politicians are utter utter bastards who cannot be trusted with anything at all.

5) A slowly sinking economy, even if the immediate problems are avoided (which they won't be).

6) Hopefully, Boris Johnson dead in a ditch somewhere.

1. Len
          Pint

Look, I understand your anger but (unless you can secure another nationality) you're stuck with these people on this island. Even if you were to emigrate you'd still be tied to these people as they have a vote on the value of your passport.

We're going to have to find a way to get through this and get back on speaking terms with some people who we may disagree with on Brexit. Not all of them, I don't see why we'd need to get on speaking terms with anti-semites, racists, holocaust deniers etc. But, there is a whole host of people who have voted the other way with reasons that seemed reasonable to them at the time and who are people you can have a decent conversation with.

My accountant is a hard-core leaver, a typical life long Conservative voter from the Home Counties who has been radicalised with some quite flowery material he got off the internet. Whenever I speak to him we exchange some basic pleasantries about how this whole Brexit malarkey is such a mess but we don't argue about it, we agree to disagree. Whether it's No Deal or Revoke (or anything in between), we're going to be talking mainly about Brexit for the next ten years (even more so in the quite likely case of a No Deal). We better make it (re)constructive instead of mud-slinging.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If a european country were to make an fffer = "anyone with a UK stem degree/PhD gets an immediate passport" you wouldn't see me for the smoke of burning blue passport.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A bunch of bastard gloating racists, who got what they wanted (leave the EU)

Why is it that the only people who bring race into Brexit discussions are the remainers? They seem to see race as an issue in every situation, which is a pretty good definition of racism itself.

It's also complete nonsense. The vast majority of EU citizens are of the same race; caucasion, so claiming racism as a reason for Brexit makes no sense.

When the UK has had race-related problems it's been with people from countries in the Indian subcontient, or the Caribbean, few of which are in the EU.

1. Rich 11

Personally I think xenophobe is a more accurate description than racist, though you can be pretty certain that a racist is going to be xenophobic as well. Just look at Farage's comments about not wanting to live next door to a family of Romanians, or his willingness to lie about Turkey joining the EU.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Personally I think xenophobe is a more accurate description than racist,

Oh, no, you don't mean someone's exaggerating their message to get a better soundbite?

Next thing we know, they'll be writing it on the side of a bus.

2. Keen1

Not about Race?

My mother who is Black, who has been in the UK for over 50 years, and honoured with an MBE to boot was told "go home, we voted for Brexit you have to get out".

Of course there are non-racists among the leave voters, but plenty of them are racists and are happy to say so in the aftermath.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Not about Race?

>>of course there are non-racists among the leave voters,

Are they the ones who insist, "But I've got Black/Asian/Eastern European Friends!" with a straight face?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Are they the ones who insist, "But I've got Black/Asian/Eastern European Friends!" with a straight face?

No, we're the ones that don't give a damn about what race or nationality our friends are, because it is irrelevant. Only racists bring racism into the discussion.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Only racists bring racism into the discussion.

Yeah, sure mate.

Tell you what, why don't you go and find that Kiwi fella, then you jointly can 'splain how it's racist to object to being called a 'Paki'. Look up some of that rationale, it's choice.

Only racists get hot under the collar, at the thought that actions taken out of base prejudice, are clearly attributable to base prejudice.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> When the UK has had race-related problems it's been with

> people from countries in the Indian subcontient, or the

> Caribbean, few of which are in the EU.

Your mistake is pretending they are informed. MANY of your fellow brexitters are racist people who voted to leave the EU so we can deport the "Muslims and other darkies".

Remainers only mention it because it's true.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's sore loser syndrome

As a moaning liberal elite remainer, I'm a sore loser.

I lost by a small margin, and the root of the whinge about how terrible some of the other side are is rooted in the dislike that some horrible people were accorded influence disproportionate to decency.

With that said, it is without fail misrepresented as smearing all people of contrary view as racists, which is a virtue-signalling way of derailing the often throw away whinge, leading to the tedious back and forth that everyone hates.

It's irrational tbh, as it only matters that I lost, not that the victory was won by relying on a few horrible people.

No-one is saying everyone voted for that motive, it's just resentment that they get to vote on anything consequential to our lives, coupled with dismay at how few people are prepared to call a 'gravity fed, non-recovery, open topped, earth storage device with integrated drainage', a 'plant pot'.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: It's sore loser syndrome

Let's be clear, there were horrible people on both sides. Sure there were racists voting leave. I'll bet there were some voting remain as well.

And let's not forget, other "remain" voters included - David Cameron, Tony Blair...

So trying to smear "everyone who voted the other way from you" by describing (what you imagine to be) the worst of those people, is not an exercise that is going to go well for anyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

[1] Being prejudiced is really its own punishment.

[2] Pretending that people's bullshit should be indulged, has a long and glorious history of being a bad idea.

[3] Learn to read for content.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Perhaps, I'm the one that should learn to read for content,

Apologies for insulting you, looks like I'm the idiot.

2. Rich 11

which is a virtue-signalling way of derailing the often throw away whinge

Unfortunately for you no-one is playing alt-right twatbingo today.

1. Anonymous Coward
                WTF?

Complaining that people call out your racism, because "free speech man" is the platonic solid of virtue signalling. (<humble-brag>My speech is freer than yours. I was into free speech before they were mainstream</humble-brag>)

Alt-right Are you suggesting that I, a card carrying hippy wooly lefty liberal, am a right-winger, let alone, an alt right-winger?

I'm in favour of freedom, and rights for people, that tends to rules out most alt-right rubbish.

I quite like guns, and am in favour of their legal ownership and use (sports, targets, fun, hunting etc).

I'd legalise and tax drugs. I wouldn't vote for Clinton, I think that Trump isn't that bad, largely, cause he's such an ineffective putz.

Unfortunately for you no-one is playing alt-right twatbingo today.

Shame because with that chuff-line, you have a full shit-house.

1. MarkOS
                  Thumb Up

Chuffing heck - flak for nothing except reader failure. There are some people on here that must have fared very badly whenever they had an English Comprehension lesson.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re. it will probably take a generation to heal

and then comes another charming Cameron chap...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

One scenario I can envisage is BoJo carrying out his threat to leave with no deal despite the recent legislation followed sufficient of those who will learn by no other teacher than experience* finally learning so that the enthusiasm for Brexit is effectively buried. BoJo is hastily replaced by a temporary govt. of national unity which goes to the EU to revoke Art 50 on the grounds that it requires the invocation to be in line with the country's constitutional processes and, thanks to BoJo, it wasn't.

*Experience is a dear teacher etc.

1. Cederic Silver badge

The invocation of Article 50 was very much in line with the country's constitutional processes.

That the mandated two years, extended, to agree a deal under which to leave has expired is thus also in line with the country's constitutional processes, unless agreement is reached to further extend it.

Such agreement has not yet been reached means that the UK is due, at present, to leave the EU on the 31st October. The EU will hopefully agree to that being under the terms of a deal acceptable to the people of the UK and the remaining EU countries.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The invocation of Article 50 was very much in line with the country's constitutional processes."

If BoJo goes ahead on the lines he was suggesting earlier (he seems to have been back-pedalling on that) the overall process wouldn't have been. If a new HMG and the EU were looking for a basis to unwind the whole thing I'm sure they'd deem it a breach of the Art 50 terms.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

BoJo is hastily replaced by a temporary govt. of national unity which goes to the EU to revoke Art 50

Followed by an election in which the Farage bunch win enough seats to be the deciding factor in forming a government. They won't join with Corbyn, or the LibDems, so the most likely outcome would be a coalition with a Tory rump (and possibly Farage in No. 10) which would easily have a large enough majority to re-invoke Art50.

Is that really the future you want?

1. veti Silver badge

No, the Tories would clearly win that election, leaving Farage in his rightful place. We'd be right back to where we are now, but with two more years of this nonsense to endure.

"so that the enthusiasm for Brexit is effectively buried."

Did you miss that bit?

I keep saying that when reality strikes it will turn out that the referendum result will turn out to have been an odd statistical quirk as there'll be surprisingly few people who said they'd voted leave.

Post Brexit there'll be good money to be made selling bumper stickers that say "Don't blame me, I voted Remain".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Middle aged Golfers

Send the lot of them to Spain. I hear the golf is pretty good there at this time of year...

Oh, and a lot of working class areas voted to leave. eg Scunthorpe.

Re: Middle aged Golfers

>and a lot of working class areas voted to leave. eg Scunthorpe.

Voting to leave Scunthorpe makes sense

2. Vincent Ballard
          Coat

Just in the interests of clarity, because sarcasm sometimes gets lost over text media, are you wishing that a bunch of them had drowned in the floods in Alicante and Murcia provinces this week?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Oh, and a lot of working class areas voted to leave. eg Scunthorpe."

The consequences for steel workers there might not have been what they thought they were voting for. There'll be seasonal vacancies for Ag Labs, however.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> It would prevent potential humanitarian issues such as medicine and food shortages etc.

They dont exist. They have been prevented since 2017. Sources are: Dover and Calais, the horses mouths so to speak.

Dovers no deal preparations as created by the government is to not hold up anything (nobody checks at ports these days, why should they do so) and give 6 months of time for companies to submit the relevant import documentation to HMRC. On the EU side a simple standard export document is produced as when exporting to any third country, stuff that we did all the time where I worked. The system is that the trucks cant even head for the port till this is produced and only the old outdated systems still print things.

And Calais has said that they rely on the business so much that there is simply no way that any politician will interfere with their smooth operation. They simply said "non!". Macron would have to bring in the army and I doubt he would be that stupid, he needs his army to shoot the protesters in Paris with beanbags every saturday.

1. Rich 11

They dont exist. They have been prevented since 2017. Sources are: Dover and Calais, the horses mouths so to speak.

If that's really the case then why at the beginning of the year did the government tell business to rent warehouse space and stockpile materials they needed? Why haven't supermarkets and hospital trusts got the message even just this month? Is it because the government didn't try to tell them or is it because they did but they weren't believed?

> Why haven't supermarkets and hospital trusts got the message even just this month?

So the supermarkets were supposed to build millions of sq ft of new warehouse space - the buildings to house half a years supply of imports are standing around empty - somehow fill them with 6 months supplies of fresh fruit and veg from europe, all ready for the 1st april 2019.

All to be paid for out of the 350M/wk presumably ?

1. Rich 11

You've got the wrong end of the stick there. The supermarkets, and more recently others, were the ones saying that the government did not exactly have a full and useful grasp of the situation.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Citation needed

Please provide some evidence that can be examined.

Thus far everyone who is prepared to back up their assertions suggests that we will experience delays.

I'll start, here's my citation - the government planning document "YellowHammer" https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

I think it will be bad, why don't you post some proof, mr well informed anon coward.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Citation needed

the government planning document "YellowHammer"

It's not a "planning document", it's a worst-case "what if" scenario to be read, evaluated, and considered to be as likely as the "everything will be just peachy" version. Reality will be somewhere in between.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Again, evidence.

You don't do yourself any favours by posting as A/C with dubious claims without evidence.

The Yellowhammer doc, is clearly what the various departments think is likely.

The pages thus released are widely referred to as being not the full document.

At least try to make your contention plausible.

"Reality will be somewhere in between."

Therefore less than peachy.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Reality will be somewhere in between."

Therefore less than peachy.

I don't understand, what would constitute a sufficiently good reason to not proceed.

A ten foot high stone tablet, presented by an angel, complete with flaming sword, with "Brexit is a bad idea" perhaps?

Just more evidence of the anti-democratic behaviour of the king of the heavens.

4. Hans 1
    Angel

Everything under control

We will not know until 1 November, and even then, it could all change later ... .

Note that we have merely seen excerpts of "Yellowhammer", with a title amended to look like "Black Swan", and been told that everything will be ok, Nigel and Boris both believe nodeal will be a swift, clean exit with no adverse consequences for us whatsoever. I am really looking forward to the pink unicorns, the stables are ready and all!

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Everything under control

> Nigel and Boris both believe nodeal will be a swift, clean exit

To be fair to them, I don't think either of them is quite stupid enough to believe that. They just want everyone else to believe it, for reasons

1. simonlb Silver badge

You mean they've lied to us again?

1. no user left unlocked

Again implies that at some point they stopped.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Flame

Re: Boris Lying to us?

That's been the case since he left Eton. Every time he opens his mouth all that comes out are lies and hot air.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

For years it has been clear that politicians have no skill at government but I used to think they had a clue about politics - until May called for a general election mid term without a few months of bread and circuses for preparation. Now I do not expect them to know anything at all. It has got so bad that I would vote for one who demonstrated the competence to file a fraudulent expenses claim rather than the twits we have now.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

>>>demonstrated the competence to file a fraudulent expenses claim<<<

but dumb enough to get caught doing it?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Dumb enough to get caught

I don't care one way or the other. I have some faint hope that someone with enough brains to raid a cookie jar first makes sure there is a possibility that someone else has put cookies in the jar. The alternative is that incompetence causes sugar, flour and eggs to be blocked at the border then some profiteer can hoard up the local supply to sell at black market prices.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

For years it has been clear that politicians have no skill at government but I used to think they had a clue about politics - until May called for a general election mid term without a few months of bread and circuses for preparation. Now I do not expect them to know anything at all. It has got so bad that I would vote for one who demonstrated the competence to file a fraudulent expenses claim rather than the twits we have now.

When I was at school, I was taught a bit about the Romans, which inevitably included the phrase 'bread and circuses'. But I know now that I didn't really appreciate what it meant: it was only many years later when the Olympics came to the UK and I witnessed the fervour in the press and on telly in the lead up, that it really brought home to me the meaning of the phrase.

Something similar has happened with UK politicians' complete inability to cope with Brexit. Their focus on internal party rows, leadership contests, race rows, various party members who are suspended but shouldn't be or who are not suspended but should be, in fact focusing on anything except trying to resolve the matter at hand - Brexit - has perfectly illustrated the meaning of another Roman era phrase: Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

1. Hans 1
            Paris Hilton

You do not understand that Brexit is a fool's trap?

Goal: turn UK even more into a tax haven and milk the poor dry.

0. Get a passport from another EU country, for safety.

1. Promise everything to everybody with a leave vote.

2. Leave without a deal.

3. Free of checks and balances, lower the taxes for the wealthy, cut back worker's rights (those lazy scumbags ala Margareth Thatcher in the 80's)

4. Mega-profit

3. Hans 1
          Coat

You could vote safely, what harm could the Greens do ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

what harm could the Greens do

Split the moderate vote & let Corbyn in?

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: what harm could the Greens do... Split the moderate vote & let Corbyn in?

You do know that the Greens are to the left of Labour?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: what harm could the Greens do... Split the moderate vote & let Corbyn in?

You do know that the Greens are to the left of Labour?

Yeah, but not all the eco-voters are that bright.

3. macjules

The only time either experienced a swift, clean exit was when their wives threw them out.

2. KarMann Silver badge
      Joke

Sounds like you need a stable genius to manage your pink unicorn housing. As an American, I have one I'm willing to let go cheap.

3. macjules

And rapidly turning from "Operation Yellowhammer" into "Operation Browntrousers".

4. codejunky Silver badge

"Note that we have merely seen excerpts of "Yellowhammer""

Waaa waaa brexit has no plan. Nobody is planning anything or thinking anything about it waa waa cancel brexit! Followed by waaa waaa there are plans for absolutely worst case stuff waa waa cancel brexit!

Almost like the complaint it the same regardless of the situation.

1. Dr_N
        Go

The official spokesperson for Leave.Lie and the Add-a-myth Institute is in the house!

Regale us with made-up stories of communist students, Turkish hordes and inexistent austerity measures, O-chosen one!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rubberhammer, oh sorry I mean Yellowhammer was written by a bunch of people who were not even allowed to consult experts across the channel. Basically its created from their imagination!

Its just drivel. A chinglish instruction manual would have had more effort put into it.

Notice how it wasnt even scanned properly?

1. JassMan

WTF - they scanned it? Its almost as if they typed it on an old Remmington. How the fsck do they think we will be better off after brexit if they can even take the trouble to learn that when you have a computer you can print directly to PDF.

Yep, I checked they really did scan it. presumably to increase the file size and make the plebs think they'd been working hard to generate such a big file, when it could have been under 20k.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Scanning a printout is a fairly sound way of avoiding any goof ups around the redaction, allowing people clever than the govt (i.e anyone) hacking the metadata and extracting the previous title 'Operation fingers crossed '.

5. Martin hepworth

Motorways

Already on motorway signage......

Re: Motorways

Maybe not a bad idea.

In the distant days when I was a teenager I went to Paris with a group of schoolf riends. It involved a long coach ride to Lydd, being catapulted taking a very short air trip to the nearest air strip across the channel and another long coach ride to Paris. And then the same in reverse to get home. On the coach ride back from Lydd we had an extra passenger. He'd come down by coach for the next week's trip and didn't realise he needed a passport.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Credit where credit is due.

I renewed my passport online, took and uploaded my own picture, and the new one was back within the week. It's a service that works really well.

1. Chris G

Re: Credit where credit is due.

Yeah! Just renewed mine from Spain, a little more expensive because of use of couriers but the whole thing was efficient and seamless.

2. harmjschoonhoven
      Stop

What? But, but, that is against EU-rules. You have to provide surrender your fingerprints!

1. H in The Hague

"What? But, but, that is against EU-rules. You have to provide surrender your fingerprints!"

Fake news. The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) requires biometrics for facial recognition systems. I believe that the US government championed that, but not sure. Fingerprint biometrics may be included in passports but that's optional.

Source: https://www.icao.int/publications/Documents/9303_p9_cons_en.pdf

So nothing to do with the EU at all. The UK is signed up to many, many treaties and other international agreements. And quite a number of them are much less transparent and democratic than the EU.

Time for a cuppa now.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

@H in the Hague - I think you (and others) missed the sarcasm and cutting humor in harmjschoonhoven's

post?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

well, it might be optional, but I had to give up my fingerprints when applying for my UK passport about... 3-4 years ago. And so did my child (about 9 or 10 at that point). And to get my EU passport a couple of years earlier. I doubt there's any EU country that does _not_ require fingerprints now. We're all criminals to be, after all.

"But, but, that is against EU-rules."

Boris, is that you?

3. hplasm
      Happy

"uploaded my own picture..."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/13/are_you_who_you_say_you_are_sir_you_are_thats_all_fine_then/

yes...

7. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

This article is what Slashdot users used to call Flamebait.

What's your excuse?

You're not even new here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's your excuse?

It's because I'm not new here that I remember it being better.

Was it January 2017 when they sacked Warstall and co and decided to become pro-establishment leftists?

Now they post completely off topic political articles in order to inflame the readership into giving them clicks. It wasn't "man gets todger trapped in metal ring" which belongs in Bootnotes.

It was "Politics: discuss. The baseball bats are kept over here.".

Pro-establishment leftists?

Does not compute.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Nigel, Boris, and Jacob - those horny handed sons of the soil.

Total lefties, it's clearly a right wing stitch up, to not acknowledge them as the plucky underdogs, fighting to tell truth to power.

Poe's law, in 3..2..1

8. Gordon861

Passport Renewal

My passport ran out last week, normally I'd be right on it and would have renewed it already, but I have no plans to go anywhere right now

The problem is that I feel my passport has been turned into a political symbol of Brexit, it has been hijacked in a similar way that the flag in the past was hijacked by thugs and racists.

1. Len
      Coat

Re: Passport Renewal

In that case you may want to renew it quickly before it turns blue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem is that I feel my passport has been turned into a political symbol of Brexit, it has been hijacked in a similar way that the flag in the past was hijacked by thugs and racists.

I'm "lucky" enough to have a UK and an Italian passport, which is now proving handy for some roles I've gone for, as I can work in the EU whatever.

1. iron Silver badge
        Facepalm

As someone applying for jobs recently I've been asked if I'm eligible to work in the EU (for UK roles). I have been forced to lie by answering 'yes' because otherwise my application can't proceed but I have no idea if I will be eligible to work in the EU in 45 days.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>I've been asked if I'm eligible to work in the EU (for UK roles). I have been forced to lie by answering 'yes'...

As long as the question didn't include a date, you are not lying. This is because at the time of the question being asked you are eligible to work in the EU, at least until the 31-Oct and possibly beyond...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>I've been asked if I'm eligible to work in the EU

You will be. So long as you apply for a visa just like every other 3rd-country citizen. It's what we voted for! Everyone's a winner now !!!

1. Hans 1
            Holmes

You will be. So long as you apply for a worker's visa just like every other 3rd-country citizen. It's what we voted for! Everyone's a winner now !!!

#TFTFY

PS: worker's visa is much, much, much harder to get, remember, you're in the queue with the Afghani, Nigerians, Brazilians ...

1. Mr Army

If Brexit happens I will be unemployable. My next contract starts on 14th October and involves me working in 16 EU countries over a 6 week period. Quite often I will wake up on a sleeper bus, having crossed a border while asleep, walk into the building where the bus is parked up, work for 18 hours (self-employed so working time directives do not apply) and then get back on the bus and do the same again the next day in a different country. The thought of trying to get work visas for that is frightening. the costs will be prohibitive and I will be replaced by a European.

3. DavCrav

And apparently they have already removed the words European Union off the passport, even though we haven't left yet.

Of course, the words don't actually matter, but it's a bit of a dick move.

"t's a bit of a dick move"

You've got to credit them with being consistent.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> And apparently they have already removed the words European Union off the passport, even though we haven't left yet.

Good, because it isnt a country or a nationality.

As a kid I was always very confused how a political organisation and collection of treaties has a flag a poor excuse for a currency and would you believe it, an anthem?

If it continued I'm sure that people would be answering "EU" to the nationality section on forms and other things.

Thank god we got out of that nonsense!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>As a kid I was always very confused how a political organisation and collection of treaties has a flag

Bet you are really confused about the UN then...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

and NATO and the Red Cross...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Or a beach!

2. Fonant

I am currently both a UK and an EU citizen. My passport reflects this fact.

EU citizenship has various advantages. Freedom of movement within the EU, personal data protection under the GDPR, working hours protection, etc.

In November my EU citizenship will cease. The new passports will reflect this fact, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

EU citizenship has various advantages.

Freedom of movement within the EU

Arguably that depends on which side of the discussion you are (mover, or destination)

personal data protection under the GDPR

Unrelated to citizenship. GDPR protects the rights of data from EU residents, not citizens.

working hours protection

I'd prefer the flexible UK rules to the French rules that I'm currently constrained by, which make it technically illegal for me to work weekends or evenings, even when I want to because it suits my personal life better.

3. H in The Hague

"If it continued I'm sure that people would be answering "EU" to the nationality section on forms and other things."

Actually, I would be happy with that.

For most of us nationality is an accident of birth, not a choice. Most folk born British, Dutch, .... would be unable to pass the citizenship exam of the country they're a citizen of. So you could argue that only naturalised citizens have made a positive choice about their citizenship.

Mine is the asbestos-lined one :)

4. KarMann Silver badge
          Trollface

Funny, that. I haven't seen many Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, or even English passports lately.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DavCrav "And apparently they have already removed the words European Union off the passport, even though we haven't left yet."

Yes, Farage, Francois et al were all stroking their "brexit spam cannons" over that last week.

9. John Sager

To get back to the issue

Not surprising the comments turned into mostly an anti-Brexit rant, given previous outings here. In a sane environment, we would have the usual 90-day visa waiver scheme that works with many other countries, perhaps with an ESTA-like validation process, but that assumes the EU will be reasonable, and I'm not sure I can take that for granted. Stories about needing oval GB stickers again suggests a level of punishment will be applied.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To get back to the issue

>Stories about needing oval GB stickers again suggests a level of punishment will be applied.

Most Brexiteers always had the oval GB sticker on their cars as they refused to have the hated EU flag on their car. Whilst at the same time speading lies about such number plates being compulsory.

If you think that's bad, look at the situation in France where people sell stickers to cover up the official "département" logo on number plates, so that Basques, Bretons, Savoyards, etc. can have their independence flag symbols instead. That would land you with a 90 euro fine for "defacing" the official plate if the gendarmerie notice. At least no-one in the UK cares if you stick a flag of St George or St Andrew on the back.

So what you're saying is that the UK and France, whilst both are still in the EU can have different rules about this; there isn't an overarching EU law telling us all what to do?

there isn't an overarching EU law telling us all what to do?

For this? No, not that I'm aware of. Why, does that surprise you?

There are international (beyond the EU) rules that require you to have a national ID sticker when driving outside your home country. In EU countries you can have it on the license plate, or separate. France also chooses to put regional IDs on the plates, and makes it an offence to change them.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

there isn't an overarching EU law telling us all what to do?

For this? No, not that I'm aware of. Why, does that surprise you?

Its wry humor, an English tradition often lost in translation...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>>France also chooses to put regional IDs on the plates, and makes it an offence to change them.

You can change them. And put any departement number/region logo you like. You just have to buy a new set of plates.

I bought my car in one region but got the dealer to put plates on with my home region on the car. No problem. Fully road legal.

The departement number hasn't been part of the reg number for years and the regionalisation was just added on to the new nationwide system to stop certain groups moaning about it.

You can change them. And put any departement number/region logo you like. You just have to buy a new set of plat es.

You can chose any département number for your registration, and the plate will have that number with the official logo for that département. You cannot legally replace that logo with your own arbitrary choice of logo, like an OM badge on a "13" plate, it has to be the official logo for the département concerned. See https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F20319 "Vous n'avez pas le droit de modifier votre plaque ou d'y ajouter un élément, en particulier à la place de l'identifiant territorial."

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

>and the plate will have that number with the official logo for that département.

Not individual departement logos. The plates carry region logos.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

In a sane environment, we would have the usual 90-day visa waiver scheme that works with many other countries, perhaps with an ESTA-like validation process

Which is, of course, exactly what has been planned for over 3 years by the Schengen countries and is unrelated to Brexit. It's called ETIAS, see https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-18-4362_en.htm and https://www.etiaseurope.eu/, among many other sites. Post-Brexit the UK will likely become one of the countries for which an ETIAS authorization is needed.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Trouble is that ETIAS isn't planned to be ready before 2021...

ETIAS is expected to be operational after three years of development, i.e. in early 2021

So if the UK exits before then, alternative arrangements are necessary...

Interestingly, if the UK were to sign T.May's Withdrawal Agreement (something Farage et al are totally against), it looks possible that the UK would transition directly to ETIAS as part of the final settlement...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In what way is having to display the nationality of your vehicle when driving in another country 'punishment'? A true Brexiteer wouldn't be driving in Europe anyway, as a trip to Bognor for fish and chips while sitting in a bus shelter should be good enough for anyone.

4. Roj Blake Silver badge

How is needing to have GB stickers a punishment?

Members of the EU are exempt from needing them. If a country leaves the EU, then they are no longer a member and so need to follow the rules for being a non-member.

It's a consequence, not a punishment.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>It's a consequence, not a punishment.

Your clearly not got your head around the Brexiteer worldview; to a Brexiteer it is a punishment imposed on the UK by 'THE EU'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We *are* being punished, that we can agree on.

Not for voting to leave the EU, but for letting the conservative party carry on trolling the country.

10. Dr_N
    Black Helicopters

That's a lot of texts

Sounds lucrative. Is Priti Patel paid to advise EE or Vodafone as well as Viasat?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like