back to article All three of the Insiders on Arm64 can now muck about with Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

Microsoft has updated the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 to support Arm64 devices for the wafer-thin slice of Windows Insiders using the things. The new build, 18980, for Fast Ring Insiders added the support amid a swathe of tweaks for the developer-friendly feature. As well as that Arm64 support (for which you'll need …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cortana

I'd prefer Cortana to be an optional feature.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Cortana

I'd prefer Cortana, XBox gaming, Edge, Mixed Reality Portal, OneCloud and a half dozen other programs be permanently uninstalled from Enterprise licensed copies of Windows 10.

While they're at it, a kill switch for telemetry would be nice too.

But hey, I'm a dreamer.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

And that same list should be optional on Home PCs as well, with the default option of being downloadable on request without taking up any disk space before it is requested. That will cut down the disk space requirements of the average user for the OS itself down by about 75% (conservative estimate, may be significantly more).

2. Charles Godwin

Doesn't the Raspberry Pi use ARM64 hardware? I could see a use for this version of WSL.

1. druck Silver badge

The Raspberry Pi runs Linux very well without needing the bloat that is Windows 10 using up precious RAM.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>The Raspberry Pi runs Linux very well without needing the bloat that is Windows 10 using up precious RAM.

The same could be said for a PC. I was quite interested in WSL when it was first announced because a lot of the tools that I use are essentially native Linux tools. What I found was that it was a waste of time compared to Cygwin, it was primarily a tool to herd people who prefer or need Linux into a Microsoft walled garden. Its improved a bit since then but its basically a waste of time compared to juar using a Linux release. (Computers are cheap enough that if you have to run Office365 because of Corporate then you just use a dedicated machine.)

(A typical Windows developer can't work outside IDEs and the Microsoft supplied programming languages. One was showing me with pride the other day how a C# function could break up a CSV file. He'd never heard of Perl but heard it was 'complicated'.)

2. katrinab Silver badge

Windows kind of works on Raspberry Pi, but it is extremely slow and driver support is very buggy.

1. Richard Plinston

> Windows kind of works on Raspberry Pi

There was a version of Windows IoT (Internet of Things) that would run on Pi3 (not 2 or Zero) but it had no desktop and wouldn't run anything but UWPs. Actually it would only run one UWP because there was no launcher - it was boot and run only. It required a full Windows 10 PC to get it to do anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But why does an unattended device running somewhere on your network need a DESKTOP for chrissakes? IoT FAIL.

1. Tom 7

I've a couple of zeros that only run the desktop when I vnc in to do some management that is a bit easier with a mouse. Bloody useful every now and then.

2. Richard Plinston

> But why does an unattended device running somewhere on your network need a DESKTOP for chrissakes? IoT FAIL.

Why would an unattended device running somewhere on your network need Windows of any description?

2. PeteA

Windows kind of works on Raspberry Pi, but it is extremely slow and driver support is very buggy.

So it's just like Windows on x86 / AMD64 then.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

RPi 3 (and later 2's) _DO_ have a 64-bit capable CPU, yes.

Putting any version of Windows on one of these, however, is heresy.

/me points out that FreeBSD has a 64-bit native OS for the RPi 3, whereas Raspbian is still 32-bit. however, 32-bit works JUST fine, so it's no big deal. besides, with <4G or RAM, why do you NEED 64-bits? It actually makes the code just a *bit* slower due to more RAM needed to store pointers, etc..

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Cortana

...the assistant itself only understands the American version of English language right now.

FTFY

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

It's not really a problem. You just have to speak like you swallowed a guitar.

1. herman

Murrican is an English Creole.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

It is called "simplified English".

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Joke

in the UK you should get a Cortana with a British accent, preferably from someplace in the high rent district of London...

/me imagines Cockney Cortana

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cockney?

Cor Blimey Tana.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A Non e-mouse - Re: Cortana

"Pff! English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!" - Homer J. Simpson

4. jelabarre59

Power-ful

What next, a Power9 build of MSWin10? Need to add the laggardness to the Power architecture as well...

1. Philippe

Re: Power-ful

What about MIPS? Where is my MIPS build?

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

So who's really interested?

{crickets}

1. tcmonkey

Re: So who's really interested?

Even the crickets have better places to chirp.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: So who's really interested?

yeah this all makes me wonder WHY Micro-shaft is *WASTING* *DEVELOPMENT* *TIME* on something WORTHLESS like this, when they COULD be...

a) scouring their code for potential security problems and bugs;

b) doing *ACTUAL* *TESTING*

c) back-porting to Windows 7 so they can sell it again, with it's EXCELLENT 3D SKEUOMORPHIC INTERFACE, as compared to the 2D FLATTY McFLATFACE FLATSO FLATASS interface in Win-10-nic

and so on

6. Phil Endecott

What’s an “Insider” ?

1. Teiwaz

What’s an “Insider” ?

Some one who enjoys installing then rolling back the bug infected, broken mess?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

they used to be called 'beta testers', to test the latest/greates [potentially broken] code.

NOW they're just "testers", one step above the general public's testing of rolled out fixes (read: buggy crapware spit+bandade+chewing gum+bailing wire "fixes")

That's right - MS Fired their QA staff shortly before Win-10-nic rolled out, intending to USE THE CUSTOMERS to test things, and anyone desperate enough to become "an Insider" after the rollout.

3. martinusher Silver badge

What’s an “Insider” ?

It sounds so more exciting than 'beta tester' -- it gives the impression that you're onto some secret information that the public is excluded from.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: What’s an “Insider” ?

Frankly, they couldn't pay me enough to become an insider.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like