back to article Be still, our drinking hearts: Help Reg name whisky beast conjured by Swedish distillers and AI blendbot

Swedish distillery Mackmyra has released a whisky infused with the goodness of AI. Keen to reinforce workplace stereotypes, The Register went to check it out. We first noted Microsoft's foray into the world of whisky blending back in May, when early results of Redmond and Mackmyra's efforts were sampled. The distillery has …

1. Shonko Kid

Sippy

- the desktop companion?

2. Rabster

Glen Turing?

1. Edwin

Sven Turing

Just to make it a little more Swedish

3. Richard Gray 1
    Coat

Machine learning

If....

Then...

1. Giovani Tapini
      Pint

Re: Machine learning

With sufficient whisky my machine certainly stops learning entirely...

4. Marcus Fil

The Famous Nous

5. Kubla Cant

Blended?

cooking whisky

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Blended?

If it is not good enough to drink it is not good enough to cook with either!

1. Muscleguy

Agreed, recipe time: take two salmon steaks and fry to perfection in butter. Remove from the pan and keep warm to rest. Add cream to pan and scrape up the crusty bits then add a good dram of Talisker 10yo and mix. Let it bubble a bit then serve with new potatoes and a good salad and of course the whisky cream sauce and a glass of the whisky in question to have with.

2. ibmalone

If they're mixing only their own spirit it's not regarded as a blend. Fun fact, when there's an age statement it's referring to the youngest whisk(e)y in the bottle, but even 'single' malts are often blended by the distillery. (Interestingly a lot of the big names are now making non-age statement single malt 'special editions', which potentially means they're mixing in stuff all the way down to three years.) 'Blended' is when grain whisky is added to the mix.

Then again, if they're blending only their own spirit I don't see quite why revealing their blend choices would be, "like, the end of the game." Since it's information that's only useful if you've got their barrels.

As for the general idea... I tried Pendryn shortly after it came out. This was in a tasting consisting of people who liked whisky and people who knew nothing about whisky (a blend...). In a group of over 20 there was one person who liked it. Haven't touched it since, but they're still making it so I guess either it's improved or the Welsh are even more patriotic than I thought. There is now some stuff made in England that I haven't had the courage to touch yet. I'm sure the Swedes can make whisky, eventually.

1. Muscleguy

I'm a whisky drinker and someone gave my wife a bottle of Penderyn (with a tasting glass) and we got to know it and I quite liked it. Not enough to want a bottle in my whisky cabinet but inoffensive and a pleasant enough tipple.

1. ibmalone

I'm willing to believe it's improved since. This was the early stuff that would have been the first couple of years they actually made. It's one reason there are so many gin distilleries popping up, but nowhere near the number of new whisky distilleries. With gin you can experiment on small batches and swap recipes fast, but with whisky you have to wait years before you know how it turns out, so on top of the length of time for investment the learning curve is necessarily much slower.

2. Rabster

There's a Breton whisky called Armork that's well worth a go.

1. ibmalone

I'll be honest and say I haven't even managed to work through all Irish and Scotch varieties yet...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Breton whisky called Armork that's well worth a go

And the output from the English Whisky Company is usually well worth the price. I especially like their Rum Cask line (used to be called "Chapter 7" but I think the name confused people).

It's about £50/bottle. Really, really not something that you buy to drink in bulk.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but even 'single' malts are often blended by the distillery

Unless it says "Single malt, single barrel" on the bottle it's safe to assume that it's blended from lots of casks.

Of course the words "single barrel" add about 30% to the price and it isn't always worth it because each barrel can vary in flavour - sometimes positively, sometines negatively.

6. David Robinson 1

Three Bit, because it's a bit better than two-bit rotgut.

7. JimP

Mr.

A.I.side (pronounced eye-side, spelled to avoid lawsuits from Apple)

Glen P Complete (blended with batch normalisation)

(for after brexit) Bugger Scotch

Deep Tipple

The Singularity Malt

Proof (obv.)

The MacLearning

Damp mosquito is an obvious Scotch reference too, but should be damp midge.

1. Daniel von Asmuth

Re: Mr.

I was thinking of 'Moist Midge' or 'Mac Robot'.

2. Danny 2

I was talking to a wry Scottish vegan ecologist about why vegans can't eat honey when it seemed to me it was mostly a workers rights issue (more honey, shorter flowers). Apparently bees are forced to die to make our honey. Like we force them to back to their factory.

"Bees are essential", I said, "but what how would you feel about using science to wipe out useless parasitic species such as the midge? Bats eat them but bats eat other things too, midges just make other species lives hell"

"Ah, no", she replied. "Midges play a vital part in Scotland's ecosystem. If we didn't have midges then we'd be over run with English tourists".

[I feel I may have told that anecdote here before. I keep telling the same folk the same stories until they get sick of me and I'm thinking I should just write my 1001 shitey anecdotes down in a blog. I used to use Wordpress for a different purpose but can anyone here recommend a similar web tool that isn't so surveillancy?]

1. Muscleguy

In many Scottish lochs in the winter a couple of meters down there's a layer of hibernating midge larvae. Plenty of native fish and amphibia eat midge larvae but there are so many of them plenty get left wnen the fish etc also hibernate.

But those midge larvae are a necessary part of the ecosystem and they are very nutritious fish food. You can buy them frozen as pet fish food but you are advised to only feed them occasionally as they are so rich.

In the peat bogs you have to think about toads and their tadpoles eating them. Also just because bats eat other things it doesn't follow that we can remove them without any effect on the bats.

If we killed all the chickens you would have other things to eat, even other eggs, but we'd feel it wouldn't we?

1. Danny 2

You make valid points, and I am reconciled to living with the midge. They make me irrational though. One time I went out in my garden with a vacuum cleaner to hoover them up. Lately I've built and installed bat boxes, although I failed to mark them correctly so many of them are used by the birds and the bees.

The mosquito has killed more humans than any other animal, and if midges start carrying these diseases due to global heating then Scotland is screwed.

Wikipedia: Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest fever, La Crosse encephalitis, and Zika fever, as well as newly detected Keystone virus and Rift Valley fever.

2. jake Silver badge
        Pint

"Apparently bees are forced to die to make our honey."

I've heard this theory expounded by people who have never kept bees. It is incorrect. In fact, bees in the wild happily work themselves to death, without humans. It's what they do.

Take it from a bee keeper, bees ain't slaves. If they don't like where they are living, they'll leave and find a better place. Or die trying. I don't force or coerce my colonies to hang out where I need them, that would be impossible. Instead, I encourage them by catering to their every whim. They come and go as they see fit, and pretty much do what they want, when they want. On their schedule, not mine. My bees are spoiled rotten, and I like it that way. In return, they over-produce wax, propolis and honey, occasionally produce new queens, and collect too much pollen for their own needs. They allow me to harvest the excess a couple times per year. It's more of a mutualistic symbiotic relationship than any other form of farming.

Mead all around!

8. GameOver

D-RAM

Dynamic random access memory + a measurement of whiskey

Works on two levels.

9. fnusnu

Intellisvens?

10. Nick Kew
    Headmaster

Mackmyra

You're being had. Myra is actually ant. Not mosquito, nor even midge. And the 'damp' eludes me too. If asked to deconstruct the word, I'd guess the ant might suggest hard work and/or teamwork, while the Mack merely hints at something Scottish.

On the basis that proper scotch is Whisky while certain lesser imitations use the spelling Whiskey, perhaps a Swedish blend might take Whiskea as another alternative?

1. NorthernCoder

Re: Mackmyra

No.

Myr is a kind of wetland, the closest word I can think of right now is "bog".

From wikipedia page for Mackmyra (the nearby village): "Namnet Mackmyra är sannolikt bildat av ordet mack (ett slags knott) som brukade dansa över myrarna som omger bruket."

= > "The name Mackmyra is most likely formed by the word mack (a kind of black fly) which used to dance over the bogs surrounding the ironworks"

2. RichCarl

Re: Mackmyra

Don't be misled by the -a at the end; that's dialectal, meaning "the" (would be -en in standard Swedish). It's the (unusual and obsolete) "mack" part that refers to insects and other creepy-crawlies, related to Swedish "mask" (worm) and English "maggot". Meanwhile "myren" (dialectal "myra"), pronounced with a long-ish "y" sound, means the moss or bog - related to English "mire". So, a not unreasonable translation could be "the bug bog" or why not "midgemire".

11. Thei)Dson

Eye I Oh

Weedram

Singularty

12. Wooosh

Algohol

(As a side note, I visited that distillery last year - I have fond memories of their smoky whisky)

1. Rich 11

Re: Algohol

I have no memory of their whisky at all.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should call it what it is...

BuzzWord Bingo Batch

(They could sprinkle in a little BlockChain as well)

1. Frank Marsh

Re: They should call it what it is...

Laughed out loud. Thank you.

14. Sgt_Oddball

/dev/null

NaNth edition

15. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Headmaster

"whisky"

Whiskey

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Flame

Here's a whole article on the tendentious yet tedious differences between the two substances.

While you are nominally correct that Sweden would normally be making "whiskey" on account of the "e" in "Sweden," I think there's an argument to be made that they're actually making "whisky" since the distilling process is meant to imitate Scotch whisky in particular rather than some other form of whiskey.

Personally, I think the whole argument is perfectly pointless and that it would be preferable to consolidate on a single spelling. If you're insistent on dropping the "e" because of some pointless tradition, may I suggest that you use the Scottish Gaelic spelling of "uisge" so you can go Full Hipster?

1. ibmalone

It's pretty easy actually, US whiskey producers have an Irish heritage, so spell it the same way (whiskey), Canadian and Japanese producers are in the Scottish tradition and use their spelling.

2. dinmorb

It’s whisky for stuff from Scotland and whiskey for the other stuff.

16. Anonymal coward

Gampiss

Well, it is El Reg...

17. Anonymous Custard

WhiskAI ?

Or even MacAI, although that would perhaps need a hint of Apple flavour...

18. amusedscientist
    Holmes

Debugged

... damp mosquitos/midges/ants removed by distillation.

19. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Pint

Whisky McWhiskyFace

^ I'm appalled I'm the one having to say it.

1. Oengus
      Pint

Re: Whisky McWhiskyFace

Beat me to it but I was actually thinking Scotch McScotchface then realised it can't be called Scotch because it didn't come from Scotland.

1. quxinot
        Pint

Sven McWhiskeyface?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Whiskers McWhiskyFace

(but I'll leave you find out where it puts the hair!)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That data, Kartela told us, as well as being a tad unstructured, also had to be encrypted because "if we were to lose that, that would be like, the end of the game."

Encryption is great. You don't need to go to the trouble of losing the data, you just need to lose the key.

1. Grinning Bandicoot

Access denied

Once there was a short story before search engines noted the growth published reviewed papers and the abstracts that followed. And the growth of the number of abstracts resulting in abstract of abstracts with the original papers being stored interdimensionally . As things go it got such that all was remotely stored this way until the DAY came and access was lost. I believe this was another of Erich Frank Russell's.

As an after thought while reviewing this there exists within this space many a mind in this space that has qualities akin to his.

21. Graham Cunningham

Four-malt proof

Big iron bru

Q.A. (Quality Azured)

22. MyffyW Silver badge

Name Suggestion

Daisy, Daisy

[With apologies to Dave]

23. Fading
    Pint

Off the top of my head......

(big) Blue Label

Or better (Deep) Blue Label...

Stroustrup (always sounded like a drink to me - a wee tup of stroustrup)

Minsky Whisky (after Marvin)

Lovelace and Babbage

1. Oengus

Re: Off the top of my head......

(big) Blue Label

in this case wouldn't Azure Label be appropriate?

24. Ordinary Donkey

Occam's Label.

Because all things being equal, the simplest solution is usually alcohol.

1. Muscleguy
      Boffin

Ah yes but the alcohol in question in the simplest is methanol, not ethanol.

In the icon you have to imagine those are blind glasses.

1. Ordinary Donkey

Occams Label:

No need to overthink things.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blender - We're making beer, I'm the brewery.

26. FuzzyTheBear

Big Iron ( G.C. suggested this as big iron bru , shortening it to Big Iron sounds great )

27. Oliver 7

Mackmyra are very versatile and innovative with their whisky expressions (cloudberry wine casks for example) and their marketing. The results can be variable but I'd certainly give this a go. How about:

MackHack

WHISKe

28. Caff

Sweedish so Son instead of Mc

Whiskey Whiskerson Face

29. Gavin Jamie

Cancel your units!

Azure Vitae

30. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Pint

Names?

Artificial Inebriation

I'm more worried about AI than others so:

AIsle of Skye-net

GlenGPU

If computers are soon to manage articial intelligence, when will they achieve artificial inebriation?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The references will probably be lost on most people, but: AI no Whiskey

32. Josh Cain

surprised this hasn't been said already

HALfiddich9000.

It's crazy good.

33. Snowy Silver badge
    FAIL

They went for a simple label

Shame it just looks cheap and tacky, did they knock it up in the garage?

1. harmjschoonhoven
      Childcatcher

Re: They went for a simple label

That is appropriate with the Swedish systembolaget restrictions on selling alcohol.

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Pint

Re: They went for a simple label

Interesting have an upvote and a pint in a plain glass :)

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silicon Glenfiddich

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep Lost Mind

36. DCA

Now how do I adjust those pesky human's program?

Reboot.

37. MrZero

For Isaac

Insufficient Data for a Meaningful Answer

38. of_the_wood

Rökmoln Whiskey

Rökmoln ... swedish for "Smoke Cloud"

AKA en drickbar, molnig och rökig fis, i din allmänna riktning

"a drinkable, cloudy and smoky fart, in your general direction"

39. BBBerstler

My Submission

I would name it HALcohol

40. Semper Phoenix
    Pint

Valcohol (Valhalla + alcohol)....

… Mjölner mjölk :)

1. Graham Cunningham

Re: Valcohol (Valhalla + alcohol)....

Or make that valhalcohol?

1. bob, mon!
        Pint

Re: Valcohol (Valhalla + alcohol)....

Valhallacohol: if you can't pronounce it, you've had enough...

------------------- this should be enough ---------------------->

41. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

BSOD

Brown Shot Or Dram

42. of_the_wood

VandeWolken Whiskey

VandeWolken dutch for "of the clouds"

"for your next wicked pissa... a master blend from our several hundred million discerning noses, to your mouth."

please: sip with only four digits (with pinky pointing to noon) as our digits have done the rest.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Mustgo

Named after the 'algorithm' the Missus uses for her 'blended' soup, served the day before grocery day.

She checks the condition of everything in the pantry and says "This must go, this must go, this must go..." and all the Mustgoes end up in the soup.

Amazing we've all survived!

Icon for what will happen if she sees this post.

1. Muscleguy

Re: Mustgo

Takes me back to our married with kids student days. My wife would make big pots of endless vegetable soup. Sometimes it would get dumplings cooked in it. Good hearty tucker.

44. plrndl

Abort, Retry, Fail?

Given the Microsoft connection, I suggest:

Old Dosser

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Abort, Retry, Fail?

Is Old Fluffer another perfect fit, and Hot Microsoft Hit Operation, plrndl?

45. Johnny Canuck

CTRL/ALT/DEL

1. Fungus Bob
      1. Snapper

Damn, you got there first! I was going to add 'because one sip should be enough for anyone'.

46. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

Right ...

"... However, it was the technology behind the AI blend that we were most interested in ..."

How very different from most of the other journalists I have ever met. Such selfless dedication ... continued on page 94

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Py-i-edition

Py-i-edition / (Py-i-ed'ition)

"reazuringly expensive".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Py-i-edition, or just "Pie eyed".

Just to explain my thinking here;

"Pie eyed" / py-eyed / py-i-ed - py-python, i - represents the AI angle.

Pie eyed - aka. Drunk

I did want to add the tag line:

"Someone who'll remain anonymous drank the 700ml bottle"

(so now we're offering a 50ml taster instead, sorry - it was just too good!).

48. Dave K

Or given the Microsoft connection it could be called

"Pour-tana"

Although that might put you off having a dram. So instead, how about:

"Hello World"

"Dram++"

"10 Consume Dram

20 Goto 10"

"InstaDram"

49. K.S. Bhaskar

Swedish whiskey smells fishy to me

MacSurströmming

50. DarkLordofSurrey

Vulture Wizzkey

51. Mark 85

Obviously this is Friday from the suggestions, so... Friday's Special Blend.

52. 2Blockchainz

Blue Label bottle of dearh?

53. Andy Non Silver badge

Silicon heaven

or Server Coolant

1. Muscleguy

Re: Silicon heaven

I'll second Server Coolant.

It reminds me of Harviestoun brewery's Old Engine Oil porter. When matured in whisky casks it becomes Ola Dubh which is a kind of bilingual pun.

54. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Boffin

You might like to Realise IT is Far Too Late to Lay a Claim to Taming AI. *

A salutary warning to any company toying with the idea of feeding their business secrets into an AI.

A warning well heeded by an almighty few absolutely ages ago, Richard.

* The Best/Worst to Be Hoped for ..... is don't Antagonise AI with IT. You have been forewarned. Don't waste time and space and riches on forearming in a field in which you are easy alienated prey. Try something/anything different is sound supported advice.

1. Muscleguy

Re: You might like to Realise IT is Far Too Late to Lay a Claim to Taming AI. *

What got me was they only ended up with one recipe. I suspect the proble is the AI system doesn't have a set of human taste buds and a cultured consciousness attached to it. Also since a large part of our taste sense is actually smell from volatiles and that applies very much to whisky it would need a nose too.

Good whisky tasting notes will be in two parts: what the nose smells of and how it tastes including how many of the nose notes are in the taste and what they become.

2. Tail Up

Re: You might like to Realise IT is Far Too Late to Lay a Claim to Taming AI. *

Seconded by a witness

Cubed When Doubled

Double Irish one, please.

55. JAMF

The 3 Laws

or...

The R. Daneel

56. Queeg

Perhaps

en slurk av lågan

Swedish for "A sip of Flame"

57. JetSetJim
    1. Tail Up

Re: Marvin...

спс поржал)))

58. Korev Silver badge
    Pint

Single page fault whiskey?

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

name

Robohooch

Turing Test (as in what you'll fail if you drink more than 3 shots of the stuff)

deMorgan's

Old Fortran (sound better as a sprit than as a beer...)

60. aelfheld

'Azure Ruin' would be my favourite.

61. Dr_N

Mönty Pythön

See above.

62. ibmalone

Machalearnin

(That's The Machalearnin to you.)

63. Scottyboy

AIngels Share

1. Muscleguy

There's already a single malt by that name.

2. Scottyboy

AIngels Share

...not everything reaches the cloud

64. duhmb

The answer is obviuos

65. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MacRosoft XP (aged since 2014)

It has a clippy taste.

66. Danny 2

Pish and tosh

Free 50 ml samples for all El Reg readers or it didn't happen!

It isn't whisky if it wasn't made in Scotland. I'd go further, it isn't any good if it wasn't made on Islay.

I have a soft spot for the Swedes and think they maybe deserve a by and get to use the name whisky. Their police cars are marked 'Polis" just like we pronounce it here.

"Livets vatten" is the google translation of water of life into Swedish.

1. Muscleguy

Re: Pish and tosh

Aquavit is Swedish for 'Water of Life'. The boffins at the time spoke Latin so . . .

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Pish and tosh

The further you go, the more wrong you'd be.

I'm not sure why you felt it was important to tell us "I only like Islay whisky"... WGAS?

Aquavit etc, the root of Scotch, was barely drinkable hooch.

67. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Picard's Favs?

Glen Borg

SmorgasBorg

68. TrumpSlurp the Troll

Size of the bottle?

Not feeling particularly clever, all that occurred to me on looking at the picture was:

Gone in 60 Seconds.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Size of the bottle?

What took you do long?

1. TrumpSlurp the Troll

Re: Size of the bottle? what took you so long?

Bloody schcrew capshh.

69. this

50ml?

That's a 'minature'! Should have put a ruler in the photo!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: 50ml?

I read it as cl, how disappointing

70. Why Not?

my two pennyworth

Microsoft Sippy - "I can see you are trying to get off your face, do you want help with that?"

Whisky NT

MyWhisky

Most Valuable Pisshead

71. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

A

...just that

72. 335/113

/sbin/Snaps-Mygga?

Upsalla's tipple in the 70's was neat alcohol out of plastic jerry-cans with "whisky essence".

73. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vat 404

Sven not found

74. Kaltern

Curiously Quantum

For when you don't know if you exist.

75. JDX Gold badge

AzuLikeIt

AI'll Have Another

AzureAsking(I'll have another)

BallmerCurve

76. jake Silver badge

Call it "Rain".

It's squeezed from the clouds.

77. Neoc

A.I. Carramba

78. Neoc

Or perhaps "Och A.I."

79. Neoc

"EthAInol"?

80. Neoc

"A.I. can't believe it's not Whisky"

81. CygnusRex

En Öga

Swedish for "A Eye", bad grammar but it sounds kind of Celtic

82. Roq D. Kasba

Vulture Piss

Obviously

83. Sam Therapy
    Happy

EMDL:

External Mouse Driver Lubricant

84. ManManMan

Clouds Share

instead of Angels Share

85. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shrinkflation

Brexit's share.

86. oilyfishhead

Whiskey McWhiskeyface

87. sdjones2001
    Pint

Bill's Anaemic Water Begets Alcoholic Golden Showers

...or Bill's Aged Golden Pish Intoxicant Pours Eventually Squire

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like