back to article New York City sues T-Mobile US over 'abusive sales tactics'

The City of New York is suing T-Mobile US, alleging that it is unfairly exploiting people with its "Metro by T-Mobile" brand – its no-contract, pre-pay service. Aimed at less wealthy people who are still in need of mobile phones, Metro promised they would no longer have to rely on "subpar devices, service and coverage". But …

1. ma1010
    Megaphone

Good for New York!

If T-Mobile is doing this elsewhere, I hope California and the other states all follow suit (heh-heh)

Federal Communications Commission chief Ajit Pai has already agreed the $26bn merger should go ahead saying he believed the companies' promise to rapidly set up 5G networks and improve rural access.

Yes, but Ajit Pai would, no doubt, also tell you that Comcast provides really great customer service at an amazing bargain price. He might even be able to say it with a straight face. Somehow.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Good for New York!

Anything that Pai likes is automaticly suspect as being bad for consumers. The fact that he approves of the merger should be the giant neon red flag warning in 9Billion point type to block it at all costs.

Competition, we've heard of it, it just doesn't exist in Pai's version of reality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And someday he will learn that when you tell a lie, the only person you hurt is yourself...

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Gimp

I had no idea our elected leaders (on both sides of the pond) were such masochists...

Well I say I had no idea... At least one of them is accused of enjoying a spot of water sports..

2. Keven E

Would've could've should've

"The complaint "could" have come at a better time for T-Mobile US..."

That depends.

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Happy

What kind of a world ...

would anyone expect anything else of a mobile phone shop , in the US ,than to be taken on for a ride.

that's the US we're talking about .. same place Barnum once said .. " there a sucker born every minute "

I mean .. come on :D

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

might be a regional thing

Might be a regional thing. Around here, MetroPCS and other cell phone service dealers are likely to have used phones for sale (in addition to new ones) but don't try to pass them off as new. Some independent dealers impose their own activation fees etc. but i've never heard of one trying to pass them off as taxes.

5. _LC_
    Alert

I hate to repeat myself, but in this case ...

Think of the "Deutsche Telekom" as crooks. They are aligned with the mob - and their offspring came out just the same.

Germany here.

6. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    WTF?

Pai in the face

Federal Communications Commission chief Ajit Pai has already agreed the $26bn merger should go ahead saying he believed the companies' promise to rapidly set up 5G networks and improve rural access

Stop, stop! My sides are splitting! No more, you're killing me...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like