back to article Uncle Sam is Huawei out of line with these hacking attacks, patent probes, Chinese mobe maker sighs

Huawei claims, albeit without evidence, the US government has tried to break into its internal computer networks. The mobile tech giant is also pretty upset about Uncle Sam's ongoing patent theft probes, claiming they are little more than an excuse for American officials to pry into its business. On Tuesday, the Chinese …

1. Alister

"In all matters, our investigative techniques comply with the law and all subjects of investigations enjoy the same rights to due process afforded by our Constitution and safeguarded by an independent judiciary."

I bet he burst a blood vessel trying not to laugh whilst he said that.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Yeah, right. Same rights. Sure.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business as usual from the f'U of SA

Seriously, a company challenges the establishment of national state organisations and this is the result? How low can you go...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Business as usual from the f'U of SA

Laws, regulations, and the conduct of government will always reflect the best interests of those with the power to create and enforce them, regardless of the form of government and regardless of how they came to power.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

> [ ... ] a company challenges the establishment of national state organisations [ ... ]

Said company happens to be a state organization, as Huawei is a state-owned company pretending not to be.

A fact that Huawei has gone to great lengths to obfuscate, with limited success.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

"Said company happens to be a state organization, as Huawei is a state-owned company pretending not to be"

When I read a report, I start to call it a little iffy when it is littered with "assuming" "presuming" and "perhaps" as much as that one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

> When I read a report, I start to call it a little iffy when it is littered with "assuming" "presuming" and "perhaps" as much as that one.

The word assume appears twice in the Balding and Clarke report:

1. We will assume that references to the “trade union” in this and other sources are careless errors and that in fact the Trade Union Committee is meant.

2. But we will assume going forward that Huawei Tech and other Huawei group employees can be members of the Huawei Holding trade union.

These instances refer to [1] a misappropriation by the Chinese of the name of an organization and [2] a lack of clarity as to whether or not Huawei Tech employees can be member of the Huawei Holding trade union. Because Huawei is completely opaque with respect to its internal organization, and to its rules of association for employees, these associations and their governing rules cannot be determined with any level of certainty.

The word assuming appears four times in the report. Its use is related, again, to Huawei's lack of transparency with respect to its internal organization, rules and by-laws.

The word presumably appears four times in the report. Its use is related, again, to the lack of transparency of the internal organization of Huawei Holding and Huawei Tech.

The word presume is not present in the report.

The word perhaps appears exactly once in the report:

As Huawei Holding has only a few hundred employees, that would normally mean that only those employees could be members of the Huawei Holding trade union and have a voice (if perhaps only a formal one) in its decisions.

2. llaryllama

This is a general issue doing business with China, perhaps and maybe are as good as you will get. Ownership and control are intentionally obfuscated and opaque. I don't believe Huawei is directly state owned but with Ren Zhengfei being a CCP member it's de facto state controlled.

3. llaryllama

Sorry for the Whataboutism but...

As a citizen of a country repressed by China I admit to being highly amused by the whole situation. I will feel sorry for Huawei when foreign companies have even 1/3 the access and freedom in China that Huawei has in western countries.

4. _LC_
    Flame

It's da mob

It’s not only that Huawei is up against “da mob”. I think they are very much aware of that. It is the way in which other countries cower before this abomination that makes you despair.

5. Guus Leeuw

Beat them at their own game...

Dear Sir,

"albeit without evidence"... Is that any better or worse than what Uncle Sam did?

As a general reminder: Iraq, Huawei... I'm sure there were others and I can positively announce that there will be others in the future of the US of A...

Regards,

Guus

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like