back to article NATO sharpens its cyber-lances, prepares for war games with virtual jousting tournament

Fresh from secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg’s repeated promises to hack back at cyber-attackers, NATO is now preparing to run a large-scale cyber exercise to test its infosec defences. NATO’s Exercise Cyber Coalition 19 is intended to bring together doers of all things digital from the alliance’s 27 member countries in order …

1. Starace
    FAIL

Dear Moderator

I could probably have posted something interesting about thus but as all my posts go straight to moderation and no-one seems to bother checking the moderation queue it doesn't seem worth the effort.

1. magickmark
      Go

Re: Dear Moderator

hummmm, I can see your post. Try posting your "something interesting" and see what happens.

2. Halfmad

Re: Dear Moderator

You been saying Apple should be reply to requests for comment or something insane that gets you auto moderated?

I post all sorts of drivel and it never happens.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here's something interesting... an update on Julian Assange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjLKzmzmTg

“Speak up now,” Pilger said, or face “the silence of a new kind of tyranny.”

The public face of most governments is a sham, their secrecy protects abuse of power done in your name.

From how they're talking, I wouldn't be suprised if NATO have some Cyber false-flags lined up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, Assange. Has he finally landed in prison or has he found new excuses/friends/asylum laws to abuse?

Asking for a friend.

2. Chozo

14. Zero-hour - Jimenez cuts the cable, Franko cuts the phone

Sadly deep down we all know it will be a sabre rattling sham. Red team will be under orders to "play fair" (and basically let Blue win).

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Getting Down and Dirty in Semper Fidelis-like Nitty Gritty ........

Lieutenant Commander Robert Buckles, the US Navy officer directing the exercise, told The Register: “The aim of the exercise is to stay below [the] threshold.”

What threshold to what? And are enabling threat actors, both private and pirate, welcomed for JOINT AIdVenturing or are NATO Systems to be Virtual Prey to the Inevitable?

Are USCYBERCOM coming out to Play with Greater IntelAIgent Games? Who Dares Win Wins.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Getting Down and Dirty in Semper Fidelis-like Nitty Gritty ........

:-) El Reg could surely muster a Red AI Team to both Create and Quell Havoc Events in NATO Partnering States with Real Hot News Shared Freely for Peer Commentary ........ to Improve and be Enabled to Present Findings into False Hoods again, again and again ad infinitum.

A little something almighty impossible to fight and win win against ? :-) Yep ...... as it constantly consistently proves itself to be.

I trust that is not ambiguous and capable of misleading in a negative direction.

1. Julz

I would expect that it will be misleading in a very capable and ambiguous way so as to misdirect any negative comments.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Touché, Julz. :-)

And thus what is the exact nature of virtual reality ..... a sham of falsehoods or an opera of novel truths and which ones have one permanently captivated and thoroughly excited?

2. RichardB

While the article is poorly written, it does later reiterate and alude to the concept, as being something that is below the threshold of IRL military intervention.

4. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Coat

Any hacker worth their salt would have gotten into the place(s) that the questions and answers were stored.

As per tradition, this is followed up by talking a computer to death.

5. NonyaDB

The U.S. Army has come a long way from the "Warlord Notebook" days.

I hated that system so much. So clunky. So slow.

Glad they killed it off in favor of [REDACTED] which was then itself replaced with [REDACTED].

6. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

First rule of cyber defense

First rule of cyber defense is, never ever keep your secrets unencrypted on a computer directly connected to the Internet.

Second rule is, don't contract out your telecoms infrastructure (important).

Third rule is, don't use communications terminals that can be compromised by clicking on a malicous URL or opening an email attachment.

Fourthly, see rule one, rule two and rule three.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: First rule of cyber defense

And the zeroth rule of defense:

0) We do not confirm or deny, nor do we talk about, our defenses.

The rest is just seeding conspiracy theorists and other idiots in the name of funding. It's a sandbox in toy-town, not the real world ... but at least the sham pays the bills and will probably generate a promotion or three.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember this movie!

Isn't the only way to win the game is not to play?

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Deluded is what deluded does ... and it helps no friends.

With Cyber Coalition 19 specifically focusing on a scenario where NATO “is asked through a UN resolution to go and provide a safe and secure environment” in a “non-NATO nation”, the hope of Western commanders is that state-backed threat actors will sit up, pay attention – and leave the West’s allies alone.

When is forlorn hope a monumental folly?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like