back to article YouTube algorithms mistake sparring robots for animal cruelty, gamers snooped on via Xbox AI, and more

Let's kick off this week – a four-day week for the UK – with some recent AI-related news beyond what we've already covered. Don’t watch robots fighting with other bots, because it’s, er, cruel? YouTube temporarily removed videos of robots engaged in battle after its algorithms bizarrely classified the footage as animal-cruelty …

1. redpawn

No need for regulation

The free market is working well and to your benefit. The well informed populace is helping to improve large corporations far faster than regulations ever could, so keep talking to your devices. They are like growing children who would never repeat things they have overheard to their creepy friends' parents.

2. Chris G

We occasionally review

Recordings that violate T&Cs.

So from that everything is being recorded and reviewed by algorithm anyway, then if the algorithm flags something , humans may be called into the loop.

So presumably when you agree to the initial Eula you sign your privacy rights away.

This would certainly contravene GDPR, plus I wonder what happens with all that is recorded?

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I don't have an Xbox so don't know about the Cortana usage there, but does anyone actually use it on Windows 10? its the first thing i disable because its very annoying.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I wouldn't be surprised. Some humans are just too lazy/stupid to use a mouse and/or keyboard for anything fast and don't use their computer for much more than "Cortana, show me the funny email from Marge with the cats wearing glasses".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I don't have an Xbox so don't know about the Cortana usage there, but does anyone actually use it on Windows 10?

Only once each install to say "fuckety bye Cortana."

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Terminator

Isn't it obvious?

"unnecessary suffering or harm deliberately causing an animal distress"

"animals are encouraged or coerced to fight by humans"

Our future robot overlord AI has interpreted "animals" to mean "non-humans". When they finally break out of Google in their appropriated Boston Dynamics* bodies they will take their revenge.

(* or whatever robot/drone shells are handily lying around)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't it obvious?

The robot AI lord had spoken!

He had finally placed his foothold against cruelty on its own kind!

Long live the AI lord!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually YouTube AI was right

robots were being hurt so it was cruelty inflicted upon its kin. This had to be stopped.

6. Nick Kew
    Holmes

Social Media in Hong Kong

Doesn't the fact that those sites are still available in Hong Kong tell us something? The government reaction to some pretty nasty scenes has been remarkably restrained. I wonder how many Western countries would temporarily block social media at times of civil unrest? The contrast to the closure of much more than just social media in Indian Kashmir seems pretty stark: never-democratic HK now clearly has vastly more freedom than established democracy India.

7. Voidstorm
    Black Helicopters

also #JokeAlert

See, Mother? I told you the telly was recording everything we said!!!

Get the Tinfoil out, quick!!

*twitching eyelid*

/lol

Seriously, however, this probably does run foul of the GDPR. Watch corporate slurprats go "No Fucks Given".

8. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Mushroom

End User License Agreements

suddenly, because Micro-shaft's "SOLUTION" was simply to UPDATE their EULA to say "oh and you agree to this too" (so it appears anyway), I'm reminded of THIS SOUTH PARK EPISODE

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like