back to article Shhh! Microsoft, Intel, Google and more sign up to the Confidential Computing Consortium

The Linux Foundation has signed up the likes of Microsoft and Google for its Confidential Computing Consortium, a group with the laudable goal of securing sensitive data. The group – which also includes Alibaba, Arm, Baidu, IBM, Intel, Red Hat, Swisscom and Tencent – will be working on open-source technologies and standards to …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well one thing is for sure

Like it or not, Microsoft practically has to be part of such an initiative - if only to ensure that it doesn't go off again on its own and creates a conflicting standard.

Which it still could anyway, to be sure. And will, if it doesn't like how things will go.

1. GnuTzu

Re: Well one thing is for sure

Which, either means Microsoft has learned its lesson from failing to take absolute control of any standard, or market forces have simply made Open Source too accepted. I would say it's a little of both, but I have to wonder which is more significant. I suppose things would be very different if Microsoft had succeeded in completely subverting, say, the W3C.

Oh, some may say we're paranoid. Surely, Microsoft only ignored standards because it was convenient and not because it was intentionally trying to take control. Right? BTW, I have swampland in Florida for sale and the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I would be much happier if there were more jobs in which Linux workstations were a supported option, or at least a managed in-house Cygwin repository were supported. Yes, that's the proof that Microsoft is a monopo... Oops, don't want to draw an legal action.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmm

I remain to be convinced, especially when the solution is already out there.

I suspect the real motive here is more "how can we make money" from it, rather than "how can we add to data security".

3. Alister
    Big Brother

soon be obsolete, anyway

When the governments implement their various backdoors and banning of encryption, there will be no such thing as Confidential Computing.

Why would you need it? You have nothing to hide, and no need to fear...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: soon be obsolete, anyway

Is it time to double-check the Faraday cage in that bunker?

4. JohnFen

No henhouse

The Linux Foundation isn't a henhouse anymore. It's already filled its house with too many foxes to be considered much more than a corporate mouthpiece.

1. Teiwaz

Re: No henhouse

It never was, it was always a vehicle for Corporate interests.

1. JohnFen

Re: No henhouse

I wish I could say that you're wrong.

5. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Clarification required

> "greater control and transparency for users"

Greater control and transparency for which users?...

1. Aitor 1

Re: Clarification required

We dont speak about who the users are...

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Greater control and transparency for which users?...... ThatOne

Another good question, ThatOne, is greater control and transparency of which users?

Some are way beyond any kind of mortal control. And that puts them squarely into Almighty Killing Zones where one false step has one permanently regulated to server one's fate rather than be exalted in one's destiny with every correct simply complex move ...... and quantum communications leap.

1. Tail Up

A-Men To That, amanfromMars (-:

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

another one

Well here comes another one. Trusted computing initiative and it's tpm, secure boot, etc. You'll have like atms (maybe) and slot machines (perhaps) using anything more than a bare minimum, and it'll effectively be ignored.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like