back to article Data cops order Ireland to delete 3.2m records after ID card wheeze ruled to be 'unlawful'

Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) has ordered the country to delete 3.2 million people's personal data after ruling that its national ID card scheme was "unlawful from a data-processing point of view". Speaking to the Irish Times, data protection commissioner Helen Dixon described the scheme as "unlawful" and has …

1. Andrew Moore

It’s gets better...

You need the PS Card to access the government web services, which use a 2 Factor Authentication system which sends a pin to your mobile phone that gets blocked because it’s considered spam.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: It’s gets better...

Don't ever give them your Mobile number. You are not obliged to do so.

1. BebopWeBop
        Devil

Re: It’s gets better...

Don’t tell them your name Pike

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

instantly scrapped by the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition that came to power in 2010

Yeah, David Camerons "No more Big Brother" bullshit. Lasted about as long as any other lying pig politicians promise.

1. Irongut

Re: instantly scrapped by the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition that came to power in 2010

Lasted about as long as any other lying pig fucking politician's promise.

FTFY

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: instantly scrapped by the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition that came to power in 2010

Careful now, Cameron has strenuously denied that he put his penis into the mouth of a dead pig. He has very strenuously denied it.

Too strenuously perhaps...?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

I bet now he wishes he'd done it on live TV so that people would associate him with that instead of the Brexit referendum.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

ID cards keep coming back, but whoever is in opposition opposes them. Not because they hate the idea, but because it's not their particular implementation.

What many forget is that it was primarily the LibDems that quashed the last Tory attempt during the coalition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...primarily the LibDems that quashed the last Tory attempt..."

Don't let perception get in the way of the facts.

3. Chris G

Admin woes

I think everyone should have an ID chip inserted and a tracking anklet fitted.

As soon as they enter politics.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Admin woes

See The Lost Continent. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Continent

The xxxians were well ahead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I think everyone should have an ID chip inserted and a tracking anklet fitted.

As soon as they enter politics."

Yes yes, change the record its wearing thin. Cos you'd do a better job of course, that's why you've put yourself up there to do the job. No? Thought not.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Criticising someone for poor performance isn't only in the purview of those who can do better.

That you don't like that fact is irrelevant.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I am definitely not suited to be a politician, I wish the current politicians would have the same introspection.

3. tiggity Silver badge

Or maybe the commentator is not a power hungry sociopath (and so unlikely to get into parliament)

Even at low levels (councils etc.) vast majority of wannabe politicians are out for power, personal gain (and often gain for their friends / family). A few people go into politics for honourable reasons, but not many.

.. Or many they could not swear an allegiance to the queen (the reason Sinn Fein members cannot take part in UK parliament as (obviously) they will not swear that oath).

Its a cliche , but most of those going into politics are fundamentally unsuitable for the role, but those that would be suitable want nothing to do with it.

the Dunning Kruger is strong with wannabe PMs!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Even at low levels (councils etc.) vast majority of wannabe politicians are out for power, personal gain (and often gain for their friends / family). A few people go into politics for honourable reasons, but not many."

Bullshit. Easy to say, very easy to say. Very popular comment amongst those who don't know any better. You have no clue, no proof, no way of proving that whatsoever. You may have a negative perception, it's not right and it's not fact so don't say it as if it were.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'd you want an example, my hometown MP is part of the ruling junta and has miraculously switched from supporting Remain to Mayhem's Deal to No Deal. I expect there are quite a few like him and all of those that are are only on it for their political career.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"I expect there are quite a few like him and all of those that are are only on it for their political career."

I fully expect there are. Generalisations are damaging and ignorant, they help no-one and make those that do try and help people for a living (rather than something much less public facing and scrutinised) wonder why they bothered. Then we end up with even more useless people as you describe.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@AC

Looks like we've found the local council apologist ;)

2. DiViDeD

"Easy to say, very easy to say ... You have no clue, no proof, no way of proving that whatsoever"

Well said that man. I have yet to see any evidence that a single weasel has ever entered politics for honourable reasons.

And I've been around a long time. A terribly, terribly long time.

4. colinb

ID cards by the back door

This is ID cards pure and simple despite them claiming it wasn't.

The cost of this at 0.6719 Pg (60m) and counting completely overshadows any fraud prevention savings so no reason for it there.

Its still required for claiming the dole so poor people have to have it.

No doubt the minister Regina Doherty will try to push some laws through to shore things up.

She had said the PSC card was "mandatory not compulsory". Ah lawyers, don't you just love them.

Hardly any wonder Politicians are held in such low esteem.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

It's worse

Without legislation or debate the Job Seeking stuff has been privatised, outsourced, to almost fake Irish Companies that are mostly UK owned. The Job Path stuff is produced in Yorkshire and you have to answer toxic questions or your benefits are stopped. If the private company makes any complaint about you, the benefits are automatically stopped without warning, though a phone call to Social Welfare may get them re-instated.

I do wish Ireland would stop copying Toxic UK schemes. See also Comreg cf Ofcom and Irish Financial Regulator cf UK and Anglo Irish Bank etc.

1. Snorlax Silver badge

Re: It's worse

"I do wish Ireland would stop copying Toxic UK schemes. See also Comreg cf Ofcom and Irish Financial Regulator cf UK and Anglo Irish Bank etc."

Financial regulation is dictated by the EU - nothing to do with copying the UK...

6. Oh Homer
    Windows

Just outsource it to Zuck

Facebook has more data on everyone than any government, anyway.

Alternatively, just scrap all borders. No need for ID cards any more.

Job done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just outsource it to Zuck

This is about Irish DPC, you could be not far from the truth....

2. Fred Dibnah

The Circle is supposed to be fiction, not a manual b

1. Sean o' bhaile na gleann

Yes, it is a work of fiction...

But when you read it, you realise it's horrifyingly close to the truth.

(I was disappointed by the ending - seems to me that it could have gone on for a few more chapters. It felt to me like Eggers simply got tired of writing it)

7. arctic_haze

Does the UK government know Ireland is independent?

I've recently listened to a UK government official telling us in a meeting how the UK is focused on the organization that called the meeting (unlike the EU, apparently). Suddenly I hear murmurs in the room: "Ireland, Ireland". I look up at his slide. Yes, he did illustrate that statement with a map of UK which... included all of Ireland.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Does the UK government know Ireland is independent?

Yes, he did illustrate that statement with a map of UK which... included all of Ireland.

Pre-1922 stock from HMSO map warehouse

1. arctic_haze

Imagine the outcry if a German official made a similar mistake.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
          Trollface

When did Germany include Ireland?

1. Semtex451

Shortly after Merkel came to power

2. Jove Bronze badge

Since the Lisbon Treaty.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Up to €10 million, or 2% of annual global turnover – whichever is greater; or. Up to €20 million, or 4% of annual global turnover – whichever is greater.

https://www.itgovernance.eu/en-ie/dpa-and-gdpr-penalties-ie

Ah go on, go on, go on. Go on!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data cleansing

Why does that woman have what appears to be 4 pints of fairy liquid?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Here's a wild guess : Ireland.

You know, St Patrick's Day ? Green ? Ring a bell ?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Joke

Do they actually do that in Ireland? I thought that was more of a New York or Boston thing in the USA. Or did the Irish copy it because the were being out-Irished by Yanks?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/river-liffey-to-be-dyed-green-for-paddys-day-tourism-chiefs-say-932263.html

Apparently Dublin's river will be dyed green next year i.e. 2020 for St Patrick's Day... which Chicago has been doing since 1962.

I think of Ireland as celebrating the holiday with dignity. I have never been to Ireland.

1. Tom 7

However in 2391 St Patricks day falls on Easter Sunday

So no Leprechaun liquid!

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes, for many years we laughed at the USA version of St.Patricks.

Shame to see us slipping down the same path.

Embarrassing even.

3. NeilPost Silver badge

Some blue green algae will do, and will be bio-degradable - well in late autumn.

4. Nick Pettefar

You must be joking. I’ve never seen so much awful tack.

2. Jove Bronze badge

Re: Data cleansing

It is currently the only form of birth control blessed by the pope.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ID cards helped make Labour unelectable. So, word on the street is that the Conservatives want to become unelectable too then ?

Any chance we can do away with government for a few decades or more ?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Any chance we can do away with government for a few decades or more ?

With Boris threatening to prorogue parliament, what's to say he comes to the conclusion that parliament is an inconvenience that can be dispensed with for longer...

Just follow the Putin playbook for 25 years of Boris.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Except Putin is competent.

2. ArrZarr Silver badge
        Joke

It's worth noting that proroguing parliament is technically royal perogative and the queen is within her rights to refuse and tell him to do his damn job.

Not that I'm saying that Monarchy is better than democracy of course.

Although for the rabid brexiteers out there, democracy is a mandatory part of being in the EU, so if we switch back to good old-fashioned monarchy then we'll get kicked out anyway.

Maybe we could form the European Kindgom Pact with our old friend the Pope.

2. aks

The Belgians have managed to run without a central government for years at a time.

1. G R Goslin

So have we. At least in any sensible, logical or rational fashion.

12. NeilPost Silver badge

Fine them

So are they going to get fined what was it up to 2% of Global Turnover. $337bn according to the Internet.

Kerching.

Any parallels to the UK Government and the deep in trouble ”Verify” Digital Identity Project ??? .... that El Reg have been reporting on for years.

13. anothercynic Silver badge

ID cards...

If you want to see a good implementation of an ID card, look at the Dutch. They are obsessive about making sure the data in the ID card is for the stated purpose only, for exactly the reasons a comment in one of the referenced articles mentioned... the Nazi regime's raiding of town hall records to (ex)terminate the Jews. The Dutch learned from their history. We Brits don't seem to. Ever.

We also already have a de facto ID card... the driving licence. While it's assumed *everyone* has one (or obtains one as soon as possible), it's not the case. In Germany, everyone aged 16 or above is by law required to have either an ID card (Personalausweis) or a passport, but it's not compulsory to *carry* it with you at all times. So, given that the UK has a 'Citizen Card' which *is* acceptable as a form of ID (particularly for those under the age of 16, at which point a driving licence is assumed to have been given), I don't particularly have any objection to an ID card.

The whole biometric data argument trotted out against ID cards falls down for all of those who have a UK passport, because it - surprise surprise - contains biometric data. Yet those protesting the most about ID cards are the ones who love their little (cheap) weekends in Magaluf, Gran Canaria and Limassol, for which they... oh, right, need their passports!

Ironically, during the UK Presidency of the EU in 2005 a decision was made to: "Agree common standards for security features and secure issuing procedures for ID cards (December 2005), with detailed standards agreed as soon as possible thereafter. In this respect, the UK Presidency put forward a proposal for the EU-wide use of biometrics in national identity cards". So, funnily enough, *we* were the ones to propose ID cards with biometrics, and yet *we* are the ones who are consistently saying "yeah nah". The mind boggles.

1. Jove Bronze badge

Re: ID cards...

"The Dutch learned from their history. We Brits don't seem to. Ever."

... and yet, the UK does not have an ID Card, unlike other Member States of the EU.

14. Jove Bronze badge

ID Cards ...

... will be so old hat - once facial recognition and various other forms of finger-printing are production ready.

Once that is done, you will not even get to know your identification. Every little helps ;)

15. Jove Bronze badge

Bigger concerns with transaction records ...

... collected and analysed by the data businesses that we all sign-up to in those contracts we do not do due diligence on.

Even bigger concern when the data is lifted from said companies with them not realizing it and remaining in denial so that there share price does not get hit. ;)

16. JoMe

Excellent

I refuse to sign up for this card and so won't be able to pay property taxes...

17. Snorlax Silver badge

Umm

"The scrapping of the scheme has close parallels with UK attempts at a national ID card,"

The scheme hasn't been scrapped.

It will still be used for social welfare-related purposes - jobseekers payments, pensions, free travel scheme etc. - which was the original remit before the government went mad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like