back to article Quick question, what the Hull? City khazi is a top UK tourist destination

A Victorian public convenience in Hull has made Lonely Planet's list of the best 500 places to visit in the UK. Admittedly it is only the 483rd best attraction, but it is still considered better than a trip to the Wensleydale Creamery. Yorkshire gets a total of 37 mentions in the list including two railway sites – York's …

1. regbadgerer
    Coat

Pedant's corner

It's not called Lake Windermere, it's just called Windermere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Pedant's corner

Do you refer to the Avon as the river Avon? There are plenty of other examples of English place names that have had the same word in multiple languages tacked on the end. Somewhere there's a hill hill hill hill Hill.

1. Martin-R

Pendle Hill and Bredon Hill are both 'hill hill hill', don't know of any that manage more than that but wouldn't be surprised!

People do get picky about it being just 'Windermere' though - I blame QI...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Torpenhow Hill is supposed to be a quadruple - but that is also according to QI....

1. Cuddles

And is sadly not actually true:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill

1. Allan George Dyer

Easy to find:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Torpenhow+Hill/@54.7396682,-3.2523325,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487cd80ae3515097:0xe19724eec4906ea1!8m2!3d54.73967!4d-3.23478

2. PerlyKing
          Headmaster

Re: I blame QI

I don't blame QI, I blame my dad, who is from that area and throughout my childhood corrected every TV presenter, newsreader or other talking head who referred to "Lake Windermere" (and looks a little like Jimmy Edwards ;-)

3. hpsaucy

In Derbyshire there's Breedon on the Hill, so "hill hill on the hill".

4. regbadgerer

@Martin-R I've always taken issue with it, because to me it somehow sounds like an americanism. QI just let me know I wasn't alone and encouraged me to spread my pedantry further!

2. defiler

Loch lochy. Somebody really ran out of inspiration on that one.

1. Dr. G. Freeman
          Coat

Who's there ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Englishman."

"Englishman who?"

"Englishman who thinks '-och' is pronounced '-ock'".

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I propose we rename it Lochy MacLochaghaidh.

3. PhilBuk

How about "Wookey Hole Cave". All three words mean cave.

So Cave Cave Cave.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

To be fair, I've never heard anyone call it anything other than Wookey Hole, and "hole" and "cave" don't really have exactly the same meaning.

Anyway, anyone want to buy some expensive cheese?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's what I thought until I took a wrong turn in a passage. Sorry, Chewey.

3. silks

Wouldn't it be great if the "what3words" app used ///cave.cave.cave for Wookey Hole :)

1. Spanners Silver badge
            Coat

Cave.cave.cave is in San Antonio, Texas. This may be the biggest cave in the world - or is it the biggest hole?

4. jelabarre59

There are plenty of other examples of English place names that have had the same word in multiple languages tacked on the end. Somewhere there's a hill hill hill hill Hill.

I remember many years ago seeing a sign in Montreal for the "Pont Champlain Bridge"

2. MJB7

It *is* sometimes referred to as Lake Windermere when you want to distinguish it from the town also called Windermere.

1. Rob Daglish

Hmm - no, it's Windermere. You don't call it Lake Grasmere do you? Or Lake Derwent Water? It's only the bloody LDNPA who refer to it as such, and they really should know better, or at least if any of them were local they should...

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Trollface

"You don't call it Lake Grasmere do you?"

Yes. And I will now make a point of referring to it like that just to wind up you in particular.

3. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Headmaster

In other trivial pedantry Lochnagar is not a Scottish loch

1. dak

Nor is Lochgelly.

Loch Gelly is, though.

4. SVV

Also, if you think that crowded Windermere and Honister Slate Mine (those heaps of tippings are SO beautiful) are the two best places to go in the Lake District, you are out of your mind. They are two of the worst. It seems that the guide authors do not believe that a place is worth visiting unless lots of money msut be spent there in order to enjoy yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a favorite place in the lake district. I'm just not going to tell anyone about it because it's relatively quiet through a lot of the year.... If it makes it on to tripadvisor, I'll have to find somewhere else!

1. caffeine addict

"Oh, we go to XYZ every year, but it's totally ruined by tourists nowadays."

My MIL is a master of this. Normally followed by "We're not tourists. We're visitors."

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I have to agree. For foreign tourists who want to do the Lake District main tourist traps just to say they've done them, I suppose Windermere must get a quick look, just like the Potter cottage and the rest of that sort of thing. But you get a much more pleasant experience almost anywhere else.

I remember once spending a nice hour or so with my folks just poking about the ruins on Hardknott Pass, which we'd taken because it looked like an entertaining route between wherever we were and wherever we were going. Hardly saw another soul the whole time. This was some decades ago, and maybe things are more crowded there now; but I bet it's still a lot better than the LP's picks.

5. Anonymous Cowerd
      Headmaster

The Lake District only has one lake (Bassenthwaite Lake).

Otherwise, it would be called The Lakes District.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I was on holiday on Lake Michigan last week, and from there, it doesn't appear Britain has any lakes at all. Just some moderately large ponds. (Little Traverse Bay, where I spent most of my time, has three times the surface area of Windermere, and it's not even a particularly prominent feature of Lake Michigan.)

But as a longtime Ransome reader (and occasional scholar), I'll grant that little lakes can be deserving of the title too. Ditto meres and tarns and broads and waters and the rest.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh god, you're that pedantic bloke who tells people who rent the rowing boats that it's actually a mere, aren't you?

7. dajames
      Headmaster

It's not called Lake Windermere, it's just called Windermere.

Au contraire, it is very often called "Lake Windermere", even though that's not its name.

The only lake in the lake district that's actually named "Lake" is Bassenthwaite -- the other lakes are all named "mere" or "water" or something else.

[You'll note, though, that I called it "Bassenthwaite" while its name is "Bassenthwaite Lake". Tricky chap, English.]

2. Warm Braw

Jodrell Bank didn't make the list

The planet is obviously not as lonely as they make out.

1. Ken Shabby

Re: Jodrell Bank didn't make the list

But Armitage Shank did, so it just might be.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Jodrell Bank didn't make the list

John Shanks might take issue with your statement.

3. MJB7

Great Victorian tilework

You may laugh, but have you *seen* those loos? They are absolutely bloody fantastic.

I was a little surprised to be taken on a tour of the architectural highlights of Hull, and not to be taken to see a town hall, or a church, or similar though.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Great Victorian tilework

They do have an odd sense of humour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-47638682

1. GrumpenKraut
        Thumb Up

The John Venn plaque is truly awesome!

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Pint

How they compare to the the loos in the Philharmonic Dining Roms in Liverpool? The ones in the Phil are Grade 1 listed!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/gents-toilets-philharmonic-live-up-12513550

1. John Presland

When I first read this I thought the Philharmonic Dining Roms must be some elegant establishment that I never got to, but Dr Google informs me that it's The Phil, in which, as a woollyback visitor, I mispent many evenings in my youth. Truly splendid urinary facilities, which I recall later taking a girlfriend into to admire.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it helps that they are the least shit place in Hull though, doesnt it.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I was a little surprised to be taken on a tour of the architectural highlights of Hull, and not to be taken to see a town hall, or a church, or similar though.

Were you taken to see new construction? According to the spam my email filter catches daily, there are many exciting real-estate investment opportunities in Hull. (Why Hull? Is it the phosphorescent waterfowl?)

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Did any get more than 1 vote?

Not only do many entries seem somewhat "unusual", but the order looks pretty dubious. I get the feeling that very few entries got more than a single person singing their praises. Further, that whoever it was at Lonely Planet that compiled the list has never actually been to the UK. Probably couldn't even find it on a map.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Did any get more than 1 vote?

Further, that whoever it was at Lonely Planet that compiled the list has never actually been to the UK. Probably couldn't even find it on a map.

Needs moar fact checking? Oddly, Lonely Planet is/was owned by the BBC who rather overpaid for that brand. So kinda makes sense for the #1 to be a place where the BBC's 'shareholders' can go watch money being peed up a wall.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

has never actually been to the UK. Probably couldn't even find it on a map

Question from an American tourist:

"Where is the UK? Is it near England?"

To which the answer was "yes and no".

1. jake Silver badge

You Brits aren't exactly immune to this kind of thing ... A friend of mine's Wife was absolutely certain that London was south of where they lived, because "my Uncle lives in South Kensington, which is near London" ... Their abode? Croydon ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You definitely need to see

The Victorian loos at Rothesay, Isle of Bute. Fantastic. Well worth, er, going

1. Just Enough

Re: You definitely need to see

Can confirm. They're like a miniature palace in marble and shiny brass.

2. Rich 11

Is there an entrance fee?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The fee is a voluntary donation

1. IsJustabloke
          Trollface

"The fee is a voluntary donation"

isn't every trip to every loo accompanied by a donation?

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

"Is there an entrance fee?"

Normally you have to spend a penny.

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Definitely

a fine piece of victoriana. Either that or a piss-controlled tardis.

4. phuzz Silver badge
      Pint

There's a pub near me with some particularly nice loos (well, the gents, I've not seen in the ladies). I'm not sure if they're Victorian, or Edwardian, but definitely some lovely somethingian tiles.

Here

I'll give you £5 to go up to the bar and say in a loud clear voice that the bogs in the Clyde are far better.

Just for entertainment's sake...

2. Fred Dibnah
        Pint

Hey, in the 1980s that was my local! We used to pop the Sunday roast in the oven then pop in for a few Director's, nipping back home to check the meat between pints. Glad it's still going.

The newsagents on the corner probably still has the same packets of biscuits on the shelves...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair you are going to need that loo after some pub Sunday lunches and Salisbury cathedral is lovely, it has a certain glow.

7. Mog_X

What about Bude Tunnel?

The best tourist attraction in Cornwell.

1. spider from mars

Re: What about Bude Tunnel?

Majestic

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Coat

Re: What about Bude Tunnel?

Patricia, or Bernard?

8. Pen-y-gors

Tourist Scotland?

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!" (Dr Samuel Johnson)

He was wrong!

9. Pen-y-gors

And at number 10

10. Explore Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. South Wales – There’s more to Wales than sheep, drizzly valleys and place names that are impossible to pronounce for outsiders.

Of course, one could say the same about 北海道 Владивосто́к or 武夷山市 - well, maybe not about the sheep

It is nice down there. And in parts they even speak the language of heaven. And for ElRegistas don't miss the Dyffryn Arms (Bessie's) in Pontfaen

10. Kingstonian

Victorian? Toilet in Hull. No - built in 1926.

Do you mean the 1926 built grade II listed toilet in Hull built in 1926 near Victoria Pier as reported by the BBC?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-49332785

Listing details at historic england

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1442414

and the Hull Daily Mail's article with more pictures

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/lonely-planet-attractions-hull-toilet-3206714

1. Commswonk

Re: Victorian? Toilet in Hull. No - built in 1926.

and the Hull Daily Mail's article with more pictures

You are clearly unaware of the fact that using the words "Daily Mail" on El Reg is a capital offence. Whether prefacing them with "Hull" will be allowed as a plea in mitigation remains to be seen...

1. matt 83

I believe it's OK as the Hull Daily Mail is unconnected with the fictional works about cancer and house prices collected together under their title "The Dail Mail".

2. jake Silver badge

Judging by nothing more than the Hull Daily Mail photo, in between-the-wars Blighty that bog must have caused many cases of fuschia shock ...

11. Jemma

Welcome to...

The Venislarn Acrapolypse...

12. Kubla Cant

Where's the list?

A search produces lots of newspaper articles about the UK list and links to a Lonely Planet Top 500 list that starts with Angkor Wat - that's not in the British Museum, is it?

I thought I knew how to find stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the list?

I agree it would be nice if the Reg put links to things in their stories outside their own website. A bit of searching led me to believe this is actually a book.

https://shop.lonelyplanet.com/products/ultimate-uk-travelist-1

13. Paul Johnston
    IT Angle

Not a patch on ...

Surely The Old King Billy toilets were the best.

Have a look at

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/history/urban-myths-truth-bizarre-hull-3140121

14. lowjik

I prefer The Temple

This is a bar converted from a sub-street level victorian lav - nicer than it sounds and I could swear it was called The Convenience but now The Temple on Great Bridgewater Street just off Oxford Road. Not bad going by the reviews

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4755979,-2.2421413,3a,75y,271.06h,77.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-TszKrSIKvVBLz7arSk3Hg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would be nice to find any public toilet in many parts of England's towns these days. Even where they still exist they are often only open for a very limited number of hours - and not every day. Even the railway station has put them behind the ticket barriers - and apparently there is no such thing as a "platform" ticket now.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Cue the Instagram influencers crowding the toilet to take ass-shots

That should be interesting.

17. James Anderson

Usefull giude

Lonely planet.

I often have a quick browse of thier guide when about to travel to a new destination. If it's recommended by them it's worth avoiding.

18. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon