back to article Microsoft spreads the Cortana love to more Insiders with new Windows 10 preview

Microsoft emitted an update to next year's Windows 10, aka 20H1, last night, with some tweaked networking and the spreading of the creepier-than-you-might-have-realised Cortana to more Insiders. Build 18956 is very much a steady-as-she-goes affair for Fast Ring Insiders as Microsoft continues to recover from the accidental …

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Lovely I'm sure but

Can you uninstall it yet?

1. ivan5

Re: Lovely I'm sure but

Simple, just use a live Linux DVD and install the Linux of your choice. You will never have to worry about MS watching and listening to everything you do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only Linux could finally get it together?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

MS Windows might not be the best OS in the world but it is by far the OS that corresponds to that which users need ( not what the geeks need/cry for). It will always be a success because most people are non-nerds and don't give a shit about the core elements, they just want something that works, and Windows provides them with that.

MAC OS : No-one really cares about MAC OS, it's a hipster thing, it caters perfectly to the mentally challenged who need some Shiny Shiny rather than an actual tool...

Linux is already a massive success in what it is good at : as an underlying OS that takes care of things neatly and effeciently. It will never be a mainstream OS because of it's own philosophy.

Anonymous because the Fanbois from each OS will give me a bashing just because they like to emulate Facebook users.

1. Jay 2

I spend all day messing about with Linux boxes and some time back I decided that when I get home I just want something that works, doesn't require constant reboots and will not entice me to start messing with stuff.

So as a result I use MacOS. Windows got the heave-ho long ago as I was fed up with all the updates/reboots and the deliberately not supporting older stuff on Vista thing. Nowadays I could almost get away with running Linux, but there's still a few things missing and as aluded to above at some point I may be tempted to go off on a tangent and "improve/fix/etc" something.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I spend all day messing about with Linux boxes"

NerdSpeak, exemplifies what I mentioned beforehand.

"I just want something that works, doesn't require constant reboots"

A windows box gets rebooted maybe once a week, not exactly catastrophic...and they are not limited to Apples walled garden approach for software and peripherals.

"Nowadays I could almost get away with running Linux, but there's still a few things missing"

I have heard that phrase for almost 20 years now....

So what is it that you are saying really, that you actually don't do much outside of surfing the web... and trying to learn some bash...

Exemplary

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Microsoft spreads the Cortana love?

Why iz you talking like some rap dude?

Yo! Yo Cortina: tell me uh joke, mama nahh, like, ah doesn' mean da terms a'n condahtahons.. a' shaht, what it is, an shit.

4. Mark 85

The underlying assistant technology will, of course, find its way into Office.

I'm sure that having Cortina on every PC in a call center or large open office will go over well. So more spying there then....

As for One Drive.. why have they been so pushy unless they're getting something in return like file access and then subscription fees.

I think Windows 7 will just stay put forever on other boxen as there's no Linux drivers for my Laser Cutter. Meantime, my Linux box is where I want it.

1. VonDutch

"The underlying assistant technology will, of course, find its way into Office."

Did they not learn anything from Clippy?!

1. Mike007 Bronze badge
        Pint

Clippy was limited to "I see you are writing a letter".

Cortana will be able to make suggestions along the lines of "I see you finally got around to writing that complaint. But, when describing the events prior to the employee punching you, just say that you were attempting to submit a verbal complaint regarding the quality of the facilities. If you tell them how many of the bar's products you had tested it might count against you."

5. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Douglas Was Right (As Always)

Hmm… we could rip out her voice-box for a start.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cortana: tell me a joke. No, I don't mean the terms and conditions...

One of the more humerous subtitles I've read on El Reg.

Cheers to the author

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: Cortana: tell me a joke. No, I don't mean the terms and conditions...

It tickled your funny bone?

7. Steve Jackson

The worrying aspect is why we are thrown back into previous versions of Windows to deal with "recalcitrant network adapters" so often....

8. BGatez

All I want is a stake through Cortana's heart prior to a proper beheading

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like