back to article Amazon Web Services doubled its footprint in the UK and will only get bigger, reckon analysts

Amazon Web Services has nearly doubled its footprint in the UK market, turning over £850m last year, according to an analysis by TechMarketView. The comprehensive research ranks the largest suppliers of software and IT services (SITS) in the UK market between April 2018 and 31 March 2019. AWS holds substantial market share in …

1. Tom 38

The comprehensive research ranks the largest suppliers of software and IT services (SITS)

Really should be Software, Hosting and IT services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

*S*oftware, *H*osting and *IT* services.... I see what you did there

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

MBAs don't understand those terms. They understand "web" - its that clicky thing they do with the mousy thing when they're googling the Porsche website.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

What we are heading towards in the UK is that if there is a big outage at Amazon it could take down all the UK government online services, since they seem to be putting all their eggs in the Amazon basket.

And of course the irony that its UK tax payers money lining Bezos pockets with even more profit, yet Amazon are avoiding paying their fair share of tax back to the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While I agree giving taxpayers money to Beezos , who will almost certainly jack up prices once the competition is gone and screw public services for every penny they've got ,at least the core system is up and running. In another universe the bunch of incompetant Peter Principle buffoons in the civil service are throwing wads money at some big contractor to set up an in house data centre which is behind schedule and 100% over budget before any software is even written.

1. EnviableOne

Usually this Contractor has been from Crapita or Carrilion or DXC

and Peter Principal has changed the goalposts twenty times since the origonal quote, because he never knew what he was contracting.

At least now it looks like most of the Tech heavy Gov Departments (DWP, HMRC, etc.) have some tech people running their cloud projects

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

but capita are using azure now.

2. macjules

Last year we had a client who had unfortunately not only failed to ensure that their MySQL instances on Azure had any proper automated backup or recovery in place but had created a backup instance in the same region as the database, thinking that was enough. After the North Europe region recovered from its 11 hour failure they realised that they had lost just about everything - the only backup was a development build over a year old.

Important lesson learned: do not only rely on one region but have a contingency plan for another cloud service just in case. iPaaS (Integration platform as a service) helps in this respect.

1. Julz

So remind me again, what problem do these cloud services solve? I thought that at least in some way they were meant to alleviate the need to have a whole load of expensive staff on your payroll as the cloudy services had all been designed and implemented by world experts so that all you needed to do was to spin up a service and hay presto. Are you saying that ain't so :)

1. NogginTheNog

They solve the 'problem' of companies having to employ and train lots of techie IT staff, which looks great to senior management.

2. Blane Bramble

@Julz

They provide a very nice and flexible tool kit that you can use to build lots of amazing things, and just like any set of tools, if you know how to use them they're great. If you don't know how to use them, you'll need to pay someone who does, or take the risk that your DIY job might turn out more expensive than you thought and still require a professional to sort it out.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
          Facepalm

Too right. One of the greatest promised "cloud" features was resilience[1], which it would seem is still AWOL.

I'm afraid that what we are being offered at the moment is a chocolate teapot covered in cotton wool so it looks like a cloud, if you squint a bit.

[1] So you don't have to worry about backups, recovery and all that other hard and expensive shit.

1. Is It Me

I hadn't ever seen serious cloud options saying you don't need backups.

But the resilience is supposed to be part of it and the possibility to spin up resources for short periods of peak demand seemed to be a big selling point for a lot of services.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And important lesson apparently not learned : backups are not annual.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like