back to article The NSA's own bastard operator from Hell, aka Edward Snowden, puts out memoir next month

Ex-NSA contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden's memoir, Permanent Record, is to be published on 17 September – Constitution Day in the US. The book claims to lay bare Snowden's role in helping to create the National Security Agency's system of mass surveillance and how he exposed it to public scrutiny. Snowden remains in …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Nick Kew

Spycatcher

Have you read spycatcher? Or are you rubbishing it from ignorance?

History has given us a few spooks who write really well. John Le Carré being an outstanding example from our own lifetimes and whose published works are about spies.

I wonder if Snowden (a) has the gift of writing well, or (b) has a good ghost writer, or (c) is about to disappoint us. Hmmm ... spook, ghost ...

1. TheGriz

Re: Spycatcher

I wonder if Snowden (a) has the gift of writing well,

Well I doubt he's attempting to become the next Stephen King, regardless anyone with a connection to the tech industry or merely interested and appreciative of what kind of risks this single man took on behalf of all of us, without looking to profit from it personally, it will be an interesting read I'm sure.

1. Adrian 4

Agreed that goods writing is a benefit whatever the genre. But it's not as if he has to come up with a plausible fiction as well : only to write well about the facts. Or even badly, as long as it's readable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes, I think Spycatcher was rather good. Sure, not exactly as much action as per the 007 documentary, but really interesting to read. In fact, the best part was how (relatively) hard it was to find a supposedly free and supposedly accessible online copy, as all those sites linked in wikipedia were down. That actually kind of verified the content and the witch hunt described in that book (My name's Barbara, Barbra Streisand :)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

"For five years we bugged and burgled our way across London at the State's behest, while pompous bowler-hatted civil servants in Whitehall pretended to look the other way."

Peter Wright, in Spycatcher.

Has anything really changed?

1. Stork Silver badge

Do they still use hats?

3. SEPAM

I recommend Graham Greene, particularly Our Man in Havana.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

bet he has/does (-:

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. David Hall 1

I'm glad someone got there before me.

Spycatcher is an excellent - well written and interesting book.

I particularly love the way the Russians bugged the US embassy with the wooden eagle !

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Spycatcher - The Reunion

The Reunion

Sue MacGregor's guests remember the epic battle to ban the MI5 memoir Spycatcher.

"The programme also includes a contribution from the Australian politician Malcolm Turnbull who, as Peter Wright's lawyer, famously cross-examined the Cabinet Secretary."

I've just checked and this episode is still available to listen...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pl2rq

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOFH?

PFY at best, if he was a true BOFH, he'd never have been caught..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BOFH?

He wasn't caught, he never tried to hide what he did.

4. vtcodger Silver badge

US Authorities

US authorities may attempt to seize any earnings from the book, if not try to prevent its publication.

One thing we know about Snowden is that he's not stupid. And I doubt his publisher's business people are crazy. I imagine the book will be published in Russia, China, and/or some country that Trump has managed to aggravate. (No shortage of those). And that any revenues will not flow through the US banking system. About the worst that's likely to befall the book is a lot of free publicity, and possibly US residents wanting a hard copy having work out a deal with a book dealer in Toronto, Freeport, or Tijuana for a while.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: US Authorities

It wasn't Trump's mass surveillance Mr. Snowden revealed, but that of Bushobama, and it was Obama [ and Hillary ] who wanted him caught, tried and imprisoned; as also Julian Assange.

Trump is scarcely involved: his admin is presently after both, but every president's admin will be, because the American Establishment never ever forgives.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

It would surely not be surprising .....

.... in these strange times of mass disinformation and catastrophic obfuscation

Can we look forward to a Priti Patel drone/clone declaring all who show any interest in obtaining and/or reading a copy of Permanent Record, an enemy combatant of Secret States?

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: It would surely not be surprising .....

Strange times they are indeed amFM, with Psyops ‘You’ve been framed’ gags APlenty going on in Live Operational Virtual Environments with seemingly mind controlled drones causing environmental and military expenditure waste in laughable stunts.

One cannot SIMply solve the perils of such badly casted scripts causing a delude of waste can it not?, and when a simple face to face meeting and discussion could have, and still could resolve this s**t show.

You can’t make it up thats for sure, especially when documented decisively and when too deep down the rampant rabbit hole.

As they say, three things that cannot be hidden, the sun, the moon and the truth, or should that be threee things? :-)

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

That's the Quandary and Quarry No10s, and now certainly also Boris and his Give IT a Bash Lot, are hereby presented with, CT. Of that can one be surely agreed, and reassured and insured.

To Keep SMARTR Alien Visitations Secret or Safe and Secure in General Knowledge for Advanced IntelAIgent Systems with Almighty Command Sharing Immaculate Control.

Checkmate with Fait Accompli, HMG?

A worthy scoop there, El Reg. And it is not as if mountains of evidence to back up and destroy falsified information is not already long ago shared and made freely available for SMARTR Facility/Virtual Utility.

And easily accessed here on El Reg via wherever they may have it saved, or wherever else SMARTR IT may be autonomously transferred to.

6th Division/Palace Barracks doing IT Titanic Holywood Sp00ky Style? Or is that more a Rebellion of Renegades at Play Doing All Manner of Wondrous NEUKlearer Works Online for Offline Transmission/Earthly Transfer ........ Realisation of a Virtual Replication.

Essentially, Dreams shared for Real Online and Lived by Oneself to Prove and Improve upon Outcome and Results, Delivered to You via these Super SMARTR AIdDevices, is the Very First Trip to Grace with Immediate Entry onto any Bucket Blacklist.

Be aware though, in there is both the appallingly and appealingly shocking, and in a right rigid and clearly not frigid frame of mind, a host to toast and roast with satisfaction and desire. You'll find that's a Right Royal and Ancient AIdDefault Stirling Passion Engine for Virtual Machinery ...... and thus, as a Relic of the Regal Past, safe and secure in expert experienced hands?

Or would you prefer something else better? Are such offers available anywhere else?

1. Cliff Thorburn

‘To Keep SMARTR Alien Visitations Secret or Safe and Secure in General Knowledge for Advanced IntelAIgent Systems with Almighty Command Sharing Immaculate Control.’

Well they certainly ain’t secret anymore that’s for sure.

Of Mythical Unicorns and Paper Tigers and Compounding Existential Threat Vectors

And ...... whenever the contents and facts that are not fiction in "Permanent Record" are then conveniently/inconveniently made known to all whom one would expect to be into protecting the masses against ignorant abuse and secret misuse of information and intelligence, and let us assume that it is for Parliamentarians a must see read in order to much more aware of the shenanigans of forces they be up against in either competition or opposition, and they do nothing effectively to remedy the situation ...... what would that tell all about their phantom political power and intelligence grasp?

And the same can surely be asked of that other non-secret outed on this thread, and all other such little known facts as appear so regularly on the likes of a Register, CT, for Spooky Action Services at a Distance are bound to be listening/reading/phishing/hoovering for such is routinely presented as the Internet Default Position ..... All your information belongs to US ...... although that is truly a perverse and corrupting fiction whenever US is them ‽ .

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Of Mythical Unicorns and Paper Tigers and Compounding Existential Threat Vectors

So where do we go from here amFM?, and that is the question truly.

Because surely you and others cannot see the present situation as either rightful, righteous or remediable?

Pint

Re: Of Mythical Unicorns and Paper Tigers and Compounding Existential Threat Vectors

So where do we go from here amFM?, and that is the question truly.

Because surely you and others cannot see the present situation as either rightful, righteous or remediable? .... Cliff Thorburn

Rightful and righteous delivers remedial, CT.

Of that you can be comfortably assured.

And where to go from here? For now we can just wait to see if there is any type of weaponry available for merciless mercenary attack against Future Proofed Security Systems.

1. Cliff Thorburn

Rightful and righteous delivers remedial, CT.

Of that you can be comfortably assured.

If only I could believe that amFM.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Where do we go from here, CT?

Tomorrow is A.N.Other's Day with 0day Vulnerabilities to Exploit and Employ, Expand Upon and Enjoy.

Do you have the Keys to those Crown Jewels? Do you know any who have and use then unprotected?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@amanfromMars 1

I'm sure such people will be "literally feeling terror".

ROFL

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It does kind of imply that she's a self-declared terrorist now. I mean, wanting to inspire and cause terror is the very definition of a terrorist,

3. Adrian 4

She'd better be building some more prisons then. Be out of space soon.

-spartacus

4. GrumpyKiwi

We've already had people prosecuted for reading copies of the Christchurch shooters dribble down here. Apparently only the mighty and powerful have brains that can resist the ideas within - all us plebs would instantly be turned into mass shooters from one glimpse of his written fuckwittery.

So yes, I could see people being ... frowned upon ... for daring to read this.

6. Rainer

Interesting

I remember when the Steve Jobs biography publication date was suddenly put forward, it didn’t take long before the news of his death shook the world. In the context here, it could be that Snowden got a headsup that his stay might come to end a bit early. Snowden always knew that everything and everybody has a price. The only question is, what Putin will get in return from The Donald.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Interesting

I’m pretty sure Neo was never subjected to a decade of ‘conditioning’, or a healthy dose of Novichok delivered by the Smiths iirc?

Perhaps the ‘program’ went slightly adrift, and the modern day equivalent of The Stanford Prisoner Experiment in wild and wacky MK Ultra modern day reincarnation Neoconoptican ‘anything goes’ military mayhem is deemed to be acceptable behaviour against an individual(s) now is it?, hell yeah, lets rip/trample on/burn that book containing every human right/morally and ethically correct chapter in our history while ‘Neo’ perhaps felt he had no other option being led down the rabbit hole, with gun held to the head in a daily delivery of duress?

The truth ‘will’ set you free, just make sure you fight for the right side, because one day, as with many misdemeanours throughout history, probably in some future chilcott/church group enquiry, it can never be hidden.

7. Conundrum1885

Aliens

Just saying. Snowden probably saw files that would make Mulder & Scully jealous.

Waiting for the book release! Also because I have actual evidence of a cover-up and want to be sure before

publishing my notes on the subject.

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Aliens

You ‘are’ the Alien!

1. Conundrum1885

Citation needed.

2. DryBones

Pffft. There's evidence of a cover-up published every day in the local papers. And I went in and checked one out, approved of it, and took it home to put on the bed.

1. Conundrum1885

Has anyone considered that the aliens, if they are here are only ever allowed to intervene on a low level?

I would speculate that in some cases they wait until we nearly discover something then simply approach the researcher(s) directly either by regular channels on condition of secrecy or by more subtle methods.

This is actually consistent with observation and does not violate their ethical code.

Has anyone considered that the aliens, if they are here are only ever allowed to intervene on a low level?

I would speculate that in some cases they wait until we nearly discover something then simply approach the researcher(s) directly either by regular channels on condition of secrecy or by more subtle methods. .... Conundrum1885

Allowed by whom and/or what to intervene at any and all levels is a logical question for any alien to ask of ... well, what you identify yourself as .... Human or Earthling?

As for some pure speculation, why ever would they wait whenever to discover anything that is to be uncovered and exposed they can very easily simply approach researcher(s) directly either by regular channels on condition of secrecy or by more subtle methods.

And to whom would any condition of secrecy/Official Secrets Act Non Disclosure Agreement really only need apply? The Bounty Hunters or the Greater IntelAIgent Games Keepers?

1. Cliff Thorburn

Is it not the Puppet Masters in true Alien Phorm operating the true strings of Government and Mass Media for mass control with tentacles controlling the daily puppet show amFM?

Does Genetically Modified and pre programmed MKUltra hush shush experimentation and consequential evolutionary change qualify for hidden secret hiding in plain sight and monitored by spectre sp00ky spooks carried out in countries not subject to countless conundrums such as ALCU and other constitutional confines?

http://www.europe-aliens.org/europeSummary.do

Or perhaps releasing genetically modified organisms with religious connotations in Adam and Eve type parallel paradoxes does or does not count?

Lots of food for thought and ap plenty of dot connecting pre programmed programmables in plausable psy ops operations conducted by seemingly never ending black budgets when big bets are at stake in SIMply truth is stranger than fiction exploits for those enlightened enough to see everything and everywhere such great games plays are carried out on the wider world stage

2. Conundrum1885

Intriguing.

Well from what I can find out many folks who have discovered something significant often don't talk about the years and in some cases decades of work that led to the discovery often at considerable expense.

On the other hand as with graphene it took many people doing the ground work on hypothetical structures for A Geim to actually find it using (IIRC) Sellotape having tried other far more complex methods which either did not work or had extremely low yields consistent with chance.

Incidentally many scientific discoveries are accidental but usually not just out of the blue: there are rare cases where individuals or companies working on unrelated fields have found something intriguing but not pursued it and the notes are later found during a patent search or other method many years later as with organic conducting polymers (J Little)

It is believed that Sinclair did not independently invent the "flat" hybrid ES-EM CRT but found an incomplete failed design elsewhere and applied more modern techniques to make it nearly commercially viable.

Had LCDs not come along its likely that it would have been with advances in IC technology.

Re: Aliens ... and you aint seen nothing yet

Well from what I can find out many folks who have discovered something significant often don't talk about the years and in some cases decades of work that led to the discovery often at considerable expense. .... Conundrum1885

That is surely quite understandable, Conundrum1885, given the available future overwhelming advantage such delivers personally.

Would you spill crown jewels and cast perl before swine and ignorant and arrogant masses? I don't think so!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE. Re: Aliens

Well remember a few years ago there was talk of anti-gravity but it got tested and found not to work?

Not only have I figured out how, but with a few components and maybe a month of time its possible to build a device which will generate a detectable pulse on a smartphone accelerometer at a substantial distance of nearly a mile, the analog of Hertz's early experiments using gravitation.

Its actually not difficult, the trick is making it work reliably despite ambient seismic noise.

A very early version was able to knock over a radio inside a sealed cupboard, so it obviously works.

Beware however, until the long term effects on living tissue are determined its best to be incredibly careful as we just don't know what will happen.

It appears that what was leaked to the media in the early 1990s was incomplete, the superconducting components are only a catalyst not the source and conventional components will also work.

In order to get a detectable field the setup needs to focus a great deal of energy through a carefully formulated crystal with the key isotope, or it won't work.

8. Danny 2

8chan

Some Anonymous twat once threatened to set 4chan on me because I'd criticised their decision to use the identifiable Low Orbit Whatever. I told them to have sex with themselves before they all got arrested. They mostly all got arrested. Now there are mainstream calls for 8chan to be closed down.

8chan: the far-right website linked to the rise in hate crimes

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/04/mass-shootings-el-paso-texas-dayton-ohio-8chan-far-right-website

Admittedly tangential but The Grauniad did eff over Snowden with its coverage of, well, Snowden. Look forward to his story of his story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8chan

The "chan" that 4chan thought was too extreme.

I agree. If you don't, just go and look at it.

Cheers… Ishy

9. Cliff Thorburn

Intelligence

You only have to understand intelligence, and that is the primary denominator what seperates not only humans from one another, but also every other creature.

The disparity between humans and every other lifeforms on earth, including the Elite from the masses is the ascension of the ladder, the end point being true enlightenment.

Ask yourself, was that intelligence created on earth, or seeded from elsewhere through genetic modification.

We are to such like bacteria in a petri dish to humans conducting similar experimentation, freedom is the true meaning of life, it is what guides us in the quest for knowledge for advancement, whether rich or poor it is the ultimate expression of behaviour for every animal, and the constant battle to suppress such behaviour to maintain the control, be that through mass media, or whatever method.

The true question is every civilisation reaches a point where it can go no further, I consider every day whether we are at that point....

It's on America's tortured brow

That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Now the workers have struck for fame

'Cause Lennon's on sale again

See the mice in their million hordes

From Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

Rule Britannia is out of bounds

To my mother, my dog, and clowns

But the film is a saddening bore

'Cause I wrote it ten times or more

It's about to be writ again

As I ask you to focus on

Sailors fighting in the dance hall

Oh man, look at those cavemen go

It's the freakiest show

Take a look at the lawman

Beating up the wrong guy

Oh man, wonder if he'll ever know

He's in the best selling show

Is there life on Mars?

Re: Intelligence

Is there life from Mars is another question to ponder and wonder if super intelligent?

1. Cliff Thorburn

Thats one question I have the privilege of knowing the answer to, as well as many of the worlds other perplexing mysteries.

If only reaching rest and restitution here on earth was showed signs of life.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Monty Python's Galaxy song; ......because there is bugger all down here on earth

10. Conundrum1885

RE. Re. Intelligence

It is generally believed that based on the methane releases observed on Mars, if life is present then it is likely to be incredibly simple.

It is alas doubtful that anything even as complex as a worm evolved, however based on available data something may have survived

deep underground so at the moment we just don't know.

Incidentally by factoring in presence of long lived radioisotopes underground the conditions may be suitable for organisms, even though

the Martian surface has been complely inhospitable for at least >1.8G years or more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like