back to article Lyft pulls its e-bike fleet from San Francisco Bay Area after exploding batteries make them the hottest seat in town

Lyft has pulled its entire electric bike fleet from the streets of San Francisco and two other Bay Area cities after a number of cases of exploding batteries. Pictures shared on social media of burnt out bikes clearly reveal that the bike's battery – conveniently located close to riders' crotches – is to blame. In one pic of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RED HOTS ... RED HOTS ...

GET YOUR RED HOTS HERE ...!!!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Coat

Re: RED HOTS ... RED HOTS ...

red hot... hot dogs?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hot cross buns...

1. Psmo

Red-sots-rear?

Truth in advertising can it be?

2. Stevie

Bah!

An abundance of caution?

More like an abundance of cauterization.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Looks like the technology hasn't been properly studied

Okay, first off we have a previous startup who couldn't make brakes work. I'm sorry, but I do believe that, in this 3rd millennium of ours, bike brakes are not new and should really not be a problem. This issue smacks of corner-cutting to me.

Then we have Lyft, absorbing the first failed startup and going for the flammable battery release. Of course, Lyft is hardly the first in the flammable battery market, but this is the second issue on the same product with dangerous consequences.

That is starting to look like a trend, and I'm thinking that the beancounters are responsible for it.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Looks like the technology hasn't been properly studied

Yes, the idea of free or cheap local transport is a good idea. In a Utopian paradise. Someone let me know when they find it as I'd like to move there. In the meantime, please, please ban these expensive, technological littering schemes. No matter how well planned, there will always be people who will damage and vandalise them and others who are just "too busy" or too self-important to take care to collect and return them properly.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Yes, the idea of free or cheap local transport is a good idea. In a Utopian paradise.

Ah, but this is California! So free/cheap local transport has been around for a long while. The humble bicycle has always been a very efficient way to convert calories into motion. Buy a bike, cancel your gym membership, and enjoy your local transport.

Downside is it requires effort. So take a simple bicycle, add batteries, charging* gubbins, motor(s), controllers and install charging infrastructure.. and Voila! Bicycle 2.0, now with added incendiary features! OK, so SF has more challenges than say, Groningen & the Dutch have always been keen on bikes, Probably helped by it's lack of hills.

*Which I'm guessing these bikes will be having the same problems as spontaneously combusting Teslas.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

There are millions of e-bikes across the world and they're not spontaneously turning into testicle barbeques. The OP is right, this is pure cost cutting. These things are treated as disposable. That's simply incompatible with safety.

1. wayward4now
            Childcatcher

I would be willing to bet that they are not using the correct charger for the battery type they are using.

2. jake Silver badge

It's not the beancounters. It's marketing. Markeing has been in charge of Engineering for about two decades now, and we are starting to see the results.

It will get much worse before it gets better. Mark my words.

1. m0rt

So business start with an idea. Marketing helps them sell that idea. Business does well.

So, everyone gets more money. Marketing falls into the demographic and demand issue, seeing other similar models working, so say 'You need to design it like this so we can take a part of this demographic who want to buy it because see: Evidence' (Just look at laptop design in the last 15 years. Thanks apple. )

So business tells talented Engineers to do it this way. Engineers grumble because they are see the limitations of what is wanted and have to make nonsensical tradeoffs to provide what the busines are saying what people want.

Meanwhile, lots of people are decrying the new products as missing X and Y and why can't we have a longer batter life and they are ignored because no one is buying those things because see: Evidence from marketing. Only the .5mm thick battery ones are selling.

And we all cry: BECAUSE NO FUCKER IS MAKING THEM!

So...if you are a Product Owner, get evidence from everyone EXCEPT marketing.

Thank you.

1. oiseau
          FAIL

...get evidence from everyone EXCEPT marketing.

Of course.

The only purpose of marketing droids is to sell.

Don't give a rat's toss about what they sell, who they sell it to or for what purpose, much less the consequences it may eventually have.

Their main objective is only the end of year bonus for increasing sales and shareholder's profits.

Of course, there is a chain of command involved which starts at the board.

O.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This is where you can end up https://youtu.be/1IYu4wzy9Lw

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

9/10 Good effort.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

in a state KNOWN for it's over-litigation, a company did... WHAT?

Lithium _IS_ _THE_ _MOST_ _REACTIVE_ _METAL_ _ON_ _THE_ _PLANET_ Let it get outside of its protective container, and it WILL burst into flames and explode, reacting with LITERALLY everything!

That being said, who made the batteries? El Cheapo Battery Company, LTD from Ali Baba web site, right?

Yeah THAT'll keep costs down. And customers in pain.

Don't get me wrong, an electric bike service where you could "just grab one" sounds convenient, but here in San Diego we've had a LOT of problems with bike rental companies [the non-leccy kinds] and people leavng the things in (being kind) INCONVENIENT places.

People are (in general) pigs, in other words, without motivation to NOT be pigs. Self-disciplined people are generally an exception but not the norm.

As for San Jose California. I left that area in 1980 and would NEVER want to go back there. I understand it took a HARD TURN to the left, and the price of housing there is RIDICULOUS. Seriously, Silly Valley companies do NOT need to hire there, unless their investors ALSO own property [and make money off of ridiculous housing and rent prices]. And considering how bums and hobos and other "human debris" are CRAPPING IN THE STREETS and LIVING IN TENTS ON THE SIDEWALKS, who'd WANT to live there?

In any case, nothing beats a good old fashioned gasoline burning car or motorcycle. Seriously! And last I checked, the rate at which they burst into flames and cook your crotch is VERY small...

1. GrumpenKraut
        Mushroom

> _IS_ _THE_ _MOST_ _REACTIVE_ _METAL_ _ON_ _THE_ _PLANET_

Uhm, wrong. Rather look at the heavy alkali metals. Spontaneously going up in fierce flames and such. See Wikipedia on caesium for an example.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Flame

Lithium _IS_ _THE_ _MOST_ _REACTIVE_ _METAL_ _ON_ _THE_ _PLANET_

Not quite. They get steadily more reative the further down column 1 of the periodic table you go.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

There's a good argument for fluorine as well. After all, only a compound containing fluorine, O2F2, can be used to set water on fire, although cesium plus water equals explosion, so they can fight it out. Fluorine can also bond with noble gasses, though, which I think might give it the edge there. It is possible that francium would be the most reactive, but because it is so unstable and has a very short half life, we don't have any to test out. I'm going to suggest we eliminate it from discussion based on lack of fun explosion videos. By any metric, however, lithium doesn't come close.

2. commonsense

What's with this growing trend of capitalising words that don't need capitalising (or italicising or given any specific emphasis)? Is it a Generation Z 2.0 thing that I've missed?

Coincidentally or not, everybody I know who writes in this style is a berk.

1. GrumpenKraut

It's just our bombastic bob screaming, nothing out of the ordinary.

P.S.: I had to look up what berk means...

1. Psmo

had to look up what berk means

Look up the full meanings of Loki's insults from Avengers, then do a deep dive into Shakespearean barbs . Your enemies across the board table may be perplexed, but their bosses may love you.

3. Psmo

While I would agree that the power output between cooking my crotch and giving it a full English has drastically different power outputs, I would venture that One is more agreeable. YMMV.

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

The "flint" in lighters is neodymium. Get a ndfeb magnet and hit it with a grinder. Once you've got past the plating, it's quite the show.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Get a ndfeb magnet and hit it with a grinder

When I was an active motorbike rider, there was a fashion amongst the kneedown sect to wear knee sliders with magnesium/titanium studs in them. Apparently, the sparks that came out when they slid across the tarmac was something to behold.

I was never in the kneedown community - I mostly concentrated on going round the corner as fast as possible and (most of the time) getting your knee down wasn't the quickest. I was in the KSB[1] community though..

[1] This only works with normally-aspirated engines. You get up to a nice high speed and then (staying in gear) flick the engine kill-switch to kill the ignition. The bike carries on moving (but slowing down) and the engine keeps being turned by gearbox - thus sucking in unburnt fuel and then (since the ignition isn't on) pushing it out of the exhaust. After a second or so, you flick the kill-switch back off to re-enable the ignition. The engine bump-starts and then all that nice unburnt fuel in the exhaust and exhaust manifold gets ignited by the very hot gasses coming out of the cylinder. The unburnt fuel in the exhaust pipe makes a very nice loud bang.. Best done in tunnels or enclosed roads. Doing it may invalidate any warranty on your engine or exhaust pipe (exhaust pipes really are not designed to contain exploding fuel and more than one set of exhaust baffles have been destroyed using this method.) It also can scare the crap out of a car driver if you are alongside them when you restart the engine..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

That's what you get

For buying batteries from Samsung!

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: That's what you get

Actually it is more likely the battery chemistry that is the underlying problem. Some chemistries are rather finicky and have been reported off and on to have problems with fires, explosions, etc.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

samsung doesn't make the batteries, they most likely buy them from a company in China, since making the batteries requires polluting the environment, and it's ok to do that in China because they don't care.

So batteries built anyplace ELSE in the world willl cost a LOT more, because you need to TAKE PRECAUTIONS to avoid polluting the environment [whch is reasonable, I say]. but competition being what it is, the lowest price:quality always gets the sales and the supplier contracts.

So there ya go. Now Sammy had some issues with PINCHING their batteries (causing failure) but that was a final assembly problem. The batteries themselves probably performed "as designed". Whatever THAT implies, yeah.

I would actually blame a couple of other things, though. DISCHARGING a LiPo battery too far is one of the most dangerous things you can do to it, resulting in gassing and swelling and other chemical nastiness that you don't want to go into. If the battery control on those bikes does NOT prevent this, and ALSO prevent too-rapid charge rates [especially on heavily depleted batteries], you'll get explosions and fires and other things. Yeah, been there, done that. Worked with LiPo a LOT.

* one time I accidentally shorted a LiPo by connecting to a board I'd hand-built but didn't see a short across the battery, accidental solder bridge, in the visual inspection. Within 10 seconds the battery looked like a balloon. I disconnected it and ran it under a faucet to rapid-cool it, then it suddenly shrank down all wrinkly looking. Was completely unchargeable though, totally ruined. At least it didn't go *boom*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually the batteries in the exploding Note 7s were made by Samsung in one of their own factories. Some Note 7s had third party batteries made in China, which didn't have the problem. Sort of the opposite of what you'd typically expect.

2. GrumpenKraut
        Boffin

> Was completely unchargeable though, totally ruined.

Trying to re-charge a battery going through the described ballooning-shrinking process appears, uhm, bold to me.

Safety goggles, I hope you did wear them ----->

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Safety goggles and an explosion containment pie dish?

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"explosion containment pie dish?"

Ahh, another Big Clive fan!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bombastic Bob.

Have been reading your comments for quite a while now.

Is there ANYTHING you have not done or worked with, or are NOT an expert on?

Truly you are SUPERHUMAN.

Cheers… Ishy

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

You laugh but there are self-balancing scooters which use Samsung batteries, just in case self-balancing scooters without Samsung batteries weren't dangerous enough already.

4. katrinab Silver badge

It is what you get for buying the cheapest 18650s available on Ali Express.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Works for me

Everybody who completed the testing course and returned the bikes on time said they worked perfectly!

On a more serious note, these will never work in SF. There's too much social acceptance for theft and vandalism, and the police department isn't interested unless it's rape or murder. Somebody will find a way to make the bikes burn.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Works for me

Or Paris... There was a report that the current fun pastime for the youth of Paris is to hurl e-Scooters and bikes into the Seine.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Last time I was there, they were throwing them at the gendarmeries [riot police].

2. macjules

Perhaps the youth of Paris should be retained by Lyft, to throw bikes into the Seine that are starting to smoke?

6. Chris G

Something I ate?

No, it has nothing to do with the chili you ate last night, your arse really is on fire. Get off the bike!

7. J. Cook Silver badge
    Flame

If the picture is anything to go by, I'm going to venture a guess at overheating from excessive exposure to direct sunlight? black paint/colored material tends to absorb heat and doesn't live giving it up for a while.

And certainly vandalism would play a major factor- some people just don't want anyone to have anything nice.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

That and seemingly being made out of 48 rechargeable - probably cheap - AA batteries might do the trick

1. Is It Me

I was looking at it and thinking that it looks like the bikes might be a good source of 18650 batteries (or more probably the slightly fatter 26650 batteries.

I am sure the hacker space users would welcome an abundance of them if the bikes are abandoned in the same way that the scooters were.

8. Stuart Halliday
    Holmes

Probably bought super cheap batteries off eBay.

9. JohnFen

I wish

In my city, a local company (not Lyft) has littered the streets with similar bicycles. They aren't exploding or anything -- but they are a hazard, and it's getting worse, as people just leave these things anywhere they want when they're done with them. This is causing increasing problems for everybody -- pedestrians, cars, and even other bicycles (disclaimer: I ride a bicycle as my primary transportation).

I dearly wish that this program simply stopped. It's making my city worse. Failing that, I wish that the city would start levying large fines on people who leave these scattered around (it is littering, after all!) -- it wouldn't be hard to find out who paid for the rental, after all.

1. not.known@this.address

Re: I wish

<quote>

it wouldn't be hard to find out who paid for the rental, after all.

</quote>

"Honest guv, I just picked it up off the street. Dunno who left it there before me, but my mate says he saw some kids break someone's bike lock off one the other day and start riding it around annoying people before they dumped it and ran off..."

1. JohnFen

Re: I wish

The locks on these bikes are welded to the bikes themselves, so if someone really did break the lock it would be obvious.

10. jake Silver badge

"San Jose – the heart of Silicon Valley"

Not even close.

Cupertino is the physical heart, Palo Alto the spiritual; San Jose isn't even an also-ran ... unless you listen to the marketing weenies trying to sell you on the place, that is. And we all know what you get if you listen to marketing —an overpriced, engineered to fail, pretty covering on a lump of crap.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: "San Jose – the heart of Silicon Valley"

I've lived in all of those places. You could NOT pay me enough money to live there again!

(In the 70's, it wasn't like it is today. It was actually ACCEPTABLE. This is because it was mostly ELECTRONICS and actual SILICON-related engineers, and military contracts, and cutting edge technology, not like the current "cloud" crowd dominating it today)

(NASA had a lot of presence there as well)

1. JohnFen

"You could NOT pay me enough money to live there again!"

Me too. I have to go to SV on a fairly regular basis, and every time I do I'm reminded of how utterly awful and depressing it is.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jake Silver badge

"I'm reminded of how utterly awful and depressing it is."

Things must have improved since last time I went there ... Well, went anywhere other than my parent's house, in Palo Alto, that is. And even then I only drive from 280/Page Mill down Arastradero and back. The only bits of Santa Clara County/The Peninsula that have any redeeming qualities are South of Pacifica and West of 280, and parts of Mt. Hamilton ... Awful, awful place, for the most part.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Jtom

Those who own property tend to take care of it, particularly if they paid for it. Public property, rentals, ‘loaners’, etc. - not so much. That type property is often used and abused. One more reason why governments that allow private ownership of property usually do better than those which do not, and if you really want to see property poorly maintained, make it the responsibility of the government.

1. Charles 9

Shoddy houses and barely-functional cars speak of a contradictory corrollary: ONLY insofar as the property in question is still fit to function.

2. AIBailey

Indeed. Look at what your average hire care gets subjected to - bounding off the rev limiter in every gear, getting tyres to squeal on every corner, clutchless gear changes, ABS "testing" and regularly missed service schedules. *

* - Admittedly I did all of these in my younger days as a PFY. The missed service schedules were out of my hands, but all these things together did convince me never to buy an ex-hire car.

1. Dave 15

hire cars? Gear changes?

Get a decent car (i have Vauxhall) and you only need the clutch to pull away, it will happly change gear with no crunch or damage. Indeed IF you are a SKILLED driver you can change gear like this in any car - I regularly do clutchless changes in a 1959 Morris Minor, again without crunching.

As for squealing tyres and reving the balls off it I am afraid thats just the stupidity and ignorance of the average driver these days. 40mph on holiday camp sites, 50 in town centres where there are childrenand pedestrians on holiday at the seaside.

This year in Cornwall an arsehole broke his door mirror on my arm in such a place. Unfortunately he didnt stop or I would have broken the rest of his car on the rectums face.

2. zaax

I got rid of my ex rental 10 years after I brought it, when it was 8 months old with 10,000 miles

3. JohnFen

" if you really want to see property poorly maintained, make it the responsibility of the government."

That's not been my experience. From everything that I've seen during my life, the government and private owners are about equally good at this.

"

" if you really want to see property poorly maintained, make it the responsibility of the government."

That's not been my experience. From everything that I've seen during my life, the government and private owners are about equally good at this."

I photograph homes for estate agents and every home that has been subsidized by the government is torn to bits. People (mostly) take care of things they own. If it belongs to or is paid for by somebody else, not so much.

1. JohnFen

"People (mostly) take care of things they own. If it belongs to or is paid for by somebody else, not so much."

True, but that doesn't speak to whether the government or private sector is better at maintenance.

2. Charles 9

"I photograph homes for estate agents and every home that has been subsidized by the government is torn to bits. People (mostly) take care of things they own. If it belongs to or is paid for by somebody else, not so much."

Is that because someone else is footing the bill or because the people being subsidized are of the type who wouldn't care even if they DID own it free and clear. I see plenty of free-and-clear houses and cars and such that have been pretty badly beat up. For them, as long as it's a roof over their head or it runs, they don't care.

13. david 12 Silver badge

And SKIP in DC

And as I recall, SKIP had to suspend use of scooters in DC because of a battery fire.

My own city experimented with bicycles for a while, but the complaints of the car users (who thought that only cars should be left parked in the streets) and the destructive vandals (who thought only cars should be left undisturbed) combined to force their withdrawal.

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Now THAT'S...

...disruptive technology!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I swear....

.... that I only read half the articles on this site because of the witty bylines! (If that's what they're called?)

1. m0rt

Re: I swear....

Why post that anonymously? Lewis - Is that you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I swear....

No, I'm not Lewis - who is he? I know that there have been several "characters" on the forums over the years, but Lewis doesn't sound familiar.

I just prefer to post all my comments anonymously!

16. Tigra 07
    Flame

Flame on

Anyone else picturing Ghost Rider on the way to work?

1. MudFever

Re: Flame on

First thing that came to mind, as does the song "Wheels on fire". Pity there's no sarcastic or snippy comment in the article, as we have come to expect, referencing the Marvel character or the song.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chernobatteries

This is the main reason why I got rid of my collection of assorted LiPo cells, with the advice to "Be darn careful"

My box of assorted 18650s are less bad, went through them and pruned out any with abnormal voltage or signs of distress.

Still on the hunt for an idiot proof holder that can safely disconnect any cells that start to misbehave. Sprung magnets maybe?

Incidentally the chargers sold for E-cig batteries seem to have a "recharge from zero" option.

I can only hope that the charger has temperature feedback!

18. jedele

> Lyft, a upstart better known for its car sharing service

Upstart -- is that like a startup or The Register's opinion of Lyft?

1. Intractable Potsherd

I notice that you may be new around here - welcome! "Upstart" is the usual term for a new company around this corner of the interwebz - I still smile when I see it :-)

19. eldakka
    Coat

Pictures shared on social media of burnt out bikes clearly reveal that the bike's battery – conveniently located close to riders' crotches – is to blame.

Maybe Lyft is doing a social good in that they decided that anyone who uses these devices should be prevented from reproducing?

20. Pen-y-gors

Crotch area?

conveniently located close to riders' crotches

The battery seems to be on the spar below the handlebars. Personally, when I'm on a bike, I keep my crotch and voonerables on the saddle, quite some way from said battery. Of course, you may have a different anatomy...

1. Mike 16

Re: Crotch area?

I suspect that the author was trying to imply that he had, erm, big _hands_.

2. Criggie

Re: Crotch area?

"top-tube" is the proper name. Along with Down tube, Seat tube and Head tube, forming the front or main triangle of the frame.

Yes, the main triangle of a bike frame has approximately 4 sides of unequal length.

21. not.known@this.address

exploding rechargable batteries is nothing new

Has anyone thought to check what sort of a discharge/recharge history the ones that exploded had?

And, with the proliferation of electric vehicles (EV) and charging stations around the countryside, with a corresponding increase in quick charges and frequent charge/discharge cycles, what does this mean for the probability of EV battery fires? Have there been any "long-term" studies done into this?

Re: exploding rechargable batteries is nothing new

The EV DC fast chargers aren't all that bad with the very large EV battery packs. About as fast as they go now is twice the power that the pack is rated for but only initially when the pack is nearly empty. Some new cars due to be released are being touted as having super fast charging capability (300+kW). That would be 3x (or "3C" as many RC hobbyists call it) the kWh of the pack, more or less. A 50kW charger would be charging at 1/2C on a 100kWh pack which shouldn't stress it at all.

EV's have a lot more battery management going on than the bikes likely do. I wouldn't expect balancing circuits on the bike's battery pack.

1. katgod

Re: exploding rechargable batteries is nothing new

If they don't have a balancing circuit it is highly likely they will explode. I would guess that they do because it would be crazy not to. This assumes that they are not lithium iron phosphate batteries but even there it would be a bad idea.

22. disgruntled yank

Vandalism

' "increased rates" of vandalism on its bikes.'

Sorry, but the bikes left any old where are themselves littering, bordering on vandalism. Edward Abbey once said "the beer cans along the road aren't ugly, the road is."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vandalism

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/camden-plans-new-by-law-to-protect-pavements-from-used-hire-bikes

Camden Town Man gets so fed up with dumped Mobikes he creates a 'sculpture' (he should have used a welder to make it permanent)

(it's 'Lime' bikes round my way!)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

TITSUP (nearly)

Thermally Incapacitated Transport Situation Unforeseen, Pyromancer required

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent line, have a beer.

Super Cali 'leccy bikes are proving quite atrocious, even though the biz insists they really quite precocious

25. MachDiamond Silver badge

Sharing?

Come on, let's get past the marketing phrase "car sharing". Lyft and Uber are vehicle-less taxi companies. "Bike sharing" is bike RENTAL.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Safety Regulations

Are there any safety regulations that would govern the use of e-bikes? I know it is an environmentally friendly transportation alternative but with the recent problems such as this, there has to be some checks and balances.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like