back to article Org's network connect to GitHub and Pastebin much? It's a Rocke road to cryptojacking country

Palo Alto Networks has spotted a new cryptomining malware technique that not only wipes out any other miners present on the target machine but uses GitHub and Pastebin as part of its command-and-control (C2) infrastructure. The malware, believed to originate from a Chinese cybercrime group nicknamed Rocke, targets cloud …

1. GnuTzu

All That Collaboration and Then The Spoilers Come

It starts as free for all and then becomes a free-for-all. This is going to take some work to establish meaningful defenses, given what's obviously coming down the road for all the code repos.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: All That Collaboration and Then The Spoilers Come

Unfortunately, for these bastard crims nothing is sacred.

1. stiine Silver badge
        Unhappy

I think you'll find that they think money is sacred; your money, my money, everybody else's money...

2. Rainer

Just host a gitlab instance on-prem.

Problem solved (unless you make that one publicly accessible, too, which given gitlab's history ripe with 0days, might not be the brightest idea)

2. Alister
    Joke

Did you know that the netblock 104.238.148.0/22 which contains the IP address 104.238.151.101 mentioned, belongs to Vultr Holdings, LLC

Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!

:)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like