back to article The inevitability of K8s: Pivotal CEO describes the pain and benefits of technology transition

Pivotal CEO Rob Mee is in a talkative mood, waxing lyrical about the transition of its key products to run on Kubernetes – something which has long-term benefits but also costly pain points. The company confirmed last week that its Pivotal Application Service (PAS), part of Pivotal Cloud Foundry, has been ported to run on …

1. StaudN
    Pirate

If a tree falls in the woods....

Sounds like a "Pivotal" mess: having to pivot from one technology to another. I could make bad puns all day, but I'd rather knot.

1. quxinot

Re: If a tree falls in the woods....

Please don't. The other readers here wooden't like those jokes.

1. IT Hack
        Pint

Re: If a tree falls in the woods....

Leaf it to branch out and become the root of the business.

Barking.

There, I said it.

Beer coz its lunch time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why Pivotal is going to Kubernetes? Marketing!

"It's partly perception," says Mee, "in that if we don't do that in the market, we have competitors saying, wow, Pivotal's not on Kubernetes."

Great reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why Pivotal is going to Kubernetes? Marketing!

I suspect that’s dumbing it down somewhat but perception is a thing. As time goes on Kubernetes skills will be more common, so the shift becomes about helping to manage your staffing requirements too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, this is Rob refusing to admit a major mistake and now he's going to Kubernetes kicking and screaming. He doesn't understand the market and misread how PaaS was going to be adopted. He should be fired immediately and replaced with someone who champions Kubernetes. This is a REALLY dumb statement to make.

2. Lusty

Unfortunately that also leads to so many companies using a crowbar to get their stuff "on Kubernetes". The number of shitty legacy monolithic applications running in containers is growing, and for those it's a much worse platform than virtualisation. But it's trendy, so...sigh...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who calls their child "Rob Mee"?

1. Ptol

"Who calls their child "Rob Mee"?"

-- Mr Blind?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Frantic 911 caller: "Help! I've just been mugged!"

Dispatcher: "What's your name, sir?"

Frantic 911 caller: "Rob Mee!"

Dispatcher: *click*

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware will buy Pivotal

Just watch Dell bury this dog in VMware.

1. pwl

Re: VMware will buy Pivotal

^ well done AC --> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/15/pivotal_vmware/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like