back to article AWS still a cash machine for Bezos, Intel is down a 5G modem biz, and Google is on Tulsi Gabbard's bad side

Quarterly earnings season is again upon us this week, and here is a lightning run through the financial results from three of the biggest names in technology: Intel, Google, and Amazon. Intel dials out of 5G modem business with $1bn Apple sale Chipzilla is about to get a bit smaller. On Thursday, Intel confirmed the tech world …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel Analysts on call unhappy

Surprised by forecasts not seeming effected by competition.

Big decline 31% in data centre not offset by growth in cloud.

Intel has changed definition of market to alter comparison of market share.

Inventory up partly due to poor memory sales that may lead to write-offs or further discounts

Free cash flow relatively poor which may limit future buybacks of shares.

They are hanging big hopes on laptops.

Might be some downward share price forecasts in next couple of days.

2. Blockchain commentard

Tulsi should have used Twitter, they let anyone spout what they want on that nowadays !!!!

1. tekHedd

Clearly you haven't been on Twitter lately. Twitter's ban-bots are completely rando.

3. NeilPost Silver badge

2,200 Engineers

Is it just me, or does 2,200 Engineer’s in Intel’s Cellular Modem business ....... seem like .. quite a lot ??

1. LeahroyNake

Re: 2,200 Engineers

Maybe Intel maneuvered some staff into that devision recently for umm technical growth support during a transitional phase?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"among the most-searched people on Google"

It's okay dear. You never had a chance to be President, but now you get to blame Google for it.

Oh, and Google : you might want to think of incorporating a flag in people's profile if they start running for President of the United States. I'm guessing that their profile generally sees a lot more activity once that fact has gone public.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: "among the most-searched people on Google"

The complaint highlights a growing concern about Big Tech and their tendency to shaft people seemingly at random and with no valid reason whatsoever. Big Tech has been abusing the trust of many with their antics. The politicos are beginning to wake up the threat this could pose of burying a relatively mainstream concern by manipulating the algorithm.

2. Char Gar Gothakon
      Stop

Re: "among the most-searched people on Google"

I don't know. I know who she is because I got added to one one her mailing lists a few years ago. Went the "unsubscribe" route because I didn't understand why I was getting mail from a congress member from Hawaii. I have never had any desire to research her or read articles about her because she has no chance in Hades to be President of the United States. If anything, I look forward to headlines announcing that she is stepping out of the race. Give it up, Tulsi. You're wasting time and money with your bid.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Intel Modems

Is it Apple ego to have a vertical supply chain at all costs, or does this make any sense?

6. Flame Boar

Apple spends $1B for Intel's Modem biz

Apple certainly has the money to spend on Intel's 5G biz, but the question is whether this will produce a 5G modem that is competitive with QCOM's offerings. Developing hardware in house is expensive and Intel could not produce a QCOM equivalent 5G modem, so I question if Apple can benefit by bringing the development effort in-housr.

1. limerino

Re: Apple spends $1B for Intel's Modem biz

Umm.. Apple is the most successful consumer hardware company in the history of hardware. It's what they do best. They've been doing their own chipsets for years.

7. Sameer

Tulsi is just a whining homophobe

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With WHAT?!

"... will become much less dependent on Qualcomm, with who it is not exactly on the best of terms..."

Mmmmmmm?

9. mark l 2 Silver badge

Well Intel flogging their 5G modem business to Apple just gave Qualcomm a bigger share of the market. Sure Apple might be able to ditch Qualcomm in another year if they can get the Intel designs to work, but Apple are not known for allowing others to license their tech so that will mean pretty much all phone makers other than Apple will be using Qualcomm kit.

10. fredesmite
    Happy

I am only interested in

What Tulsi’s landing zone looks like

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like