back to article The democratisation of IT: Amazon and Microsoft own half the cloud infrastructure market

Almost half of all the money spent on public cloud infrastructure is now divvied up between Amazon and Microsoft, according to stats from Synergy Research. In calendar Q2, the market for cloud infrastructure – including IaaS, PaaS and hosted private cloud – shot up 39 per cent over the same quarter in 2018, reaching almost $ …

1. trevorde Silver badge

Who do you make richer?

Jeff or Bill?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who do you make richer?

Neither. I use Digital Ocean and Linode.

2. LeahroyNake

Bill?

I'm not sure any of the charities that he donated the majority of his personal wealth to are going to see such donations from MS or Amazon.

I hope his legacy as a person lives on well past MS and Amazon and whoever is running them now.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

The vile old villain's personal wealth never diminishes no matter how much money he donates to his own Trust.

I noticed years ago his wealth was say, $57 billion one year; load of stuff about his undoubted giving; next year $59 billion.

He has a house worth $127 million, so even if he renounced every cent in his accounts apart from upkeep he would still be comfortable. As it is, net worth:

2017 - 87 billion

2018 - 90 billion

2019 - 91 billion

He has not donated the majority of his personal wealth; no doubt as he can't take it with him he will leave that wealth to worthy causes; but that's rather like the little monster George Washington, who certainly freed his slaves; but only on his death when he could no longer suck their service from them.

~ figures from Forbes, via https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/bill-gates-net-worth-14564023

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I could swear it was 20 years ago Bill said he was going to give his money away, in a way that had me believe very soon. Sounds like he doesn't really want to. Marketing perhaps.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

There is a very simple explanation to all this: Microsoft is hugely profitable company.

Microsoft stock price was about $70 in 2017 and now it's double that - about $140. Even if he had donated half of his MS stocks 2 years ago, he'd be as wealthy now.

BG owns (reportedly) 330M shares. That's $46B. Not doubt the geezer has other stock and properties in addition to just MSFT stock if his net value is double that.

How would you donate those Billions (in reasonable time) for a better lifestyle in 3rd world countries or something similar?

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I've used AWS and Azure but in the day job I have to use another cloud provider from a big name. It frequently makes me wish I could be using AWS or Azure.

3. Bill 21

So, on a pie-chart thing, the second place - at about 20% - would be 'other'?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like