back to article Meet the super-speedy white dwarf binary system that's going to grav-wave our world

Astronomers have discovered the fastest-known eclipsing white dwarf pair yet, with the dead stars whizzing around each other every 6.91 minutes, according to a Nature paper published on Wednesday. The binary system known as ZTF J1539+5027 was spotted by the Zwicky Transient Facility (which put the ZTF into its name) …

1. Evil Harry
    Thumb Up

It's great to know when the world is being turned upside down with politics, climate change and all that stuff, there are still people out there making these awesome discoveries.

2. Sanctimonious Prick
    Happy

LISA!

Damnit! I want LISA now!

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Coat

Re: LISA!

You're my future wife Lisa!

1. BigSLitleP

You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Oh hi Danny

3. Conundrum1885

Re. LISA

Isn't that the space based GWO ?

Last I heard it was still being tested.

1. John Mangan

Re: Re. LISA

A PoC was launched a few years back to test some of the required technologies. We are nowhere near launching the real thing - as the estimated date of 20134 demonstrates.

1. John Mangan

I don't know where the intrusive '1' came from - it's not next to '0' or '3' on the keyboard?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

It is above the zero on the numeric keypad.

2. Rich 11
          Alien

I know where it came from.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Martin Gregorie

Search method

Surely you meant:

"Burdge said he used algorithms sped up by GPUs to comb through optical image data to find the eclipsing binary system."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Search method

Yes, that's what they meant. I've sent a correction; dunno if they will change the article. This thing is way outside anything LIGO / VIRGO could hear even if it was loud enough: they're sensitive at audio frequencies, basically, and this is hundredths of a Hz.

5. Timbo

Need new image...or maybe some copy editing?

"One is slightly smaller and less bright than the other..."

...and yet the image shown, shows that "One is quite a bit smaller and BRIGHTER than the other..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Need new image...or maybe some copy editing?

I suspect they mean 'less luminous': its surface brightness may be higher.

However all these images are just what someone drew of course.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Need new image...or maybe some copy editing?

I haven't read the paper. However I suspect the smaller one could have a lower total luminosity but a higher luminosity per unit area - hence it "appears" brighter.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg units?

What is the gravitational wave unit in Reg language? I'm thinking "number of belly flops" or "baked beans eaten" scales?

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Reg units?

What is the gravitational wave unit in Reg language?

I would think it has to be based upon the pull which Gregg's exerts on the average passerby.

1. DJO Silver badge

That would be a negative quantity.

A less contentious value is necessary, how about the gravitational effect from a million spherical sheep (in vacuo) as a point mass.

1. Tom 7

mmm kebab.

2. eldakka
          Coat

So a Gregg would be a measure of Dark Energy?

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

To think

Imagine the gigantic amount of energy that a stellar mass the size of the Sun has whipping around a twin in less than 10 minutes.

The energy concentrated there must be simply apocalyptic.

1. Rich 11

Re: To think

Back of fag packet calculation: the system has a total kinetic energy of about 7x10^41 joules, packed into a volume of space about the size of Saturn.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Boffin

Yes, it's staggeringly, mind-boggling. So close that they revolve around each other in under 7 minutes and yet it's estimated they are still 200,000 years from merging. To those of use with little to no knowledge of stellar engineering, I'd have more of a sense that colliding with each other was imminent on a human scale.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"...a sense that colliding with each other was imminent on a human scale."

200,000 years is human scale. I mean you hairy apes have been around that long, haven't you? Most things in astronomy have timescales of billions of years.

They're probably only going to collide because of gravitational losses, which are obviously small and so slow. Without that they'd be as stable as an electron orbiting an atom.

8. Duncan Macdonald
    Mushroom

Supernova ?

When the two merge will it trigger a supernova explosion? One of the causes for a type 1a supernova explosion is thought to be the merge of two white dwarf stars.

Icon for the effect ==================>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Supernova ?

It turns out that no, there won't. You are completely correct about the origin of type 1a supernovae, but the two white dwarves here are not massive enough. The Nature letter (which seems to now be showing me the actual PDF of the thing even though it was not earlier) says that the two masses are 0.610 and 0.210 solar masses, while the upper limit for a white dwarf is 1.44 solar masses. So even after colliding they will be comfortably below the limit.

1. annodomini2

Re: Supernova ?

What about a nova?

9. el kabong
    Alien

Those gravity waves, when will it start?

If someone is going to grav-wave my world I want to be ready to take it.

Do they have any schedule yet?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Those gravity waves, when will it start?

surfs up, dude!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Another potential test of GR

One interesting thing about this binary: if the predicted merger time is 200,000 years away then it ought to be possible to detect the orbital changes over time as the orbits decay due to gravitational waves. This was famously done for the Hulse-Taylor binary which provided an indirect test for the existence of gravitational waves. That has a spin-down time of 300,000,000 years: this is shorter by a factor of about a thousand.

One problem is that these things are not pulsars, so there's no very precise timing information as there is for a pulsar: you'd have to work from the light curves. That might make it impossible to detect, although presumably with sufficiently long-term observations you could do a lot better.

(And this also isn't really a new test, although I think it would be interesting to confirm that relatively normal objects like white dwarves (normal compared to neutron stars...) have decaying orbits as well.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Another potential test of GR

And of course they've beaten me to it. The orbit is decaying, and the rate of decay does agree with GR. There's a nice plot on the second page of the paper.

Pesky astronomers, stealing ideas from my brain before I'd thought of them.

11. Stevie

Bah!

Something's off. In one paragraph it says that the frequency of the gravity waves is too low to be detected until a new interferometer is deployed in fourteen years, and in the next it talks about discovering the pair from examining gravity wave data.

WTF?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Bah!

That was an error: it was discovered from light-curve data, and yes it is too slow (and probably also just too weak) for LIGO/VIRGO to hear.

1. Stevie

Thanks for the explanation.

Not sure why I was downvoted for my comment.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Me neither, but votes here are odd, and there are an essentially unbounded number of trolls who lurk around the forums.

12. Mark 85

This confuses me....

Astronomers have discovered the fastest-known eclipsing white dwarf pair yet, with the dead stars whizzing around each other every 6.91 minutes,

If they're white dwarfs, then obviously they're still "burning" and not dead yet. Or is there a definition of "dead" that I missed.

1. VeganVegan
      Flame

Re: This confuses me....

White dwarfs have ceased nuclear fusion, hence dead.

They remain luminous as they cool down from the extreme temperatures (1E7 K) reached at the end of their fusion lives, much like a heated lump of metal remains luminous for a while after being withdrawn from the heating source.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

Re: This confuses me....

One interesting thing is how long it takes white dwarves to cool. The answer is 'long': the end state of a white dwarf once it has cooled is a thing called a black dwarf, and it's estimated that there are no black dwarves yet, because the universe is not old enough.

I think the estimated time for them to get really cool is ~ 1E15 years, but some may last much longer than this.

13. Potemkine! Silver badge

What is the distance between the two stars?

14. DeeCee

Now if the scientists could finally cure aging and death

i might even see it...

15. WaveyDavey

Two bodies roughly the size of earth whizzing around each other every 6 and a bit minutes: those buggers are moving really fast. Anyone got a fag-packet estimate for speed (not velocity) ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like