back to article A bunch of also-RAN: Vodafone and O2 cosy up to share '5G-active' gear

Vodafone and O2 are to share their 5G radio antennas and joint network sites in an attempt to cut costs and speed up rollout. Currently the operators have 16.9k combined mast sites, and told The Reg they'd share active 5G radio kit sites outside of the UK's main 24 cities. The pair also said that under their latest plans they …

1. Spanners Silver badge
    Go

Still not getting it yet

It's not long* since I first got a phone that I got a phone that actually does 4G. The reasons I did this included...

1. There was now 4G in the area where I lived.

2. Acceptably priced phones that could were now appearing.

3. It was no longer a ridiculous price

When those are sorted for 5g, I will get it. Until then, it is a chicken and egg situation because I doubt that I am the only person who thinks this way.

*Less than 4 years.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Still not getting it yet

Now try disabling 4G, and see how much longer your battery lasts.

2. djstardust

It's a strange world

When serious competitors get together. Like Virgin and Stagecoach sharing rail franchises.

Shows there is no "real" competition as such when companies get together like this.

Just big business colluding to cut costs, increase profit and keep the monopoly going.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: It's a strange world

I can see the argument for mobile operators to pool resources for providing the radio infrastructure.

2. Dave K

To be honest I dont really mind this - so long as some of that "cost-saving" is used to improve coverage in more rural areas. And it might well do. In some areas, there may not be sufficient individual subscribers to persuade telcos to bung in 5G kit, but add O2 and Vodafone's customers together and it might be worthwhile for them to make the investment.

Tine will tell of course...

3. phuzz Silver badge

In this case, it's more like rail franchises sharing the same tracks, but running their own trains. They're sharing the physical mast, but adding their own equipment, backhaul etc.

It should lead to a faster roll out which I guess is good for us customers, but if you live somewhere with (eg) no O2 coverage, you can almost guarantee that there's no Vodafone coverage either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like