back to article 'Cockwomble' is off the menu: Uncle Bulgaria issues edict against using name in vain

Great Uncle Bulgaria, elder of the Womble tribe who make their homes on Wimbledon Common, has spoken out against usage of the word "cockwomble", saying his species "would never approve of any use of profane language", particularly not "in our name". This was not, fortunately, directed at The Register, which has been known to …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Khaptain Silver badge

CockWomblers Unite

Never heard of Katie Hopkins before, just had a quick glance over on YT to learn about who she is....

Difficult to know if she's serious of just a troll. I gather it's more of the latter... Anyone I presume that she is loving the attention...

Question CockWombles go around picking up discarded cocks ?

1. Killing Time

Re: CockWomblers Unite

'Difficult to know if she's serious of just a troll. '

I'm sure if you look in a modern dictionary, under troll you would find her as an analogy.

I can't think of a better example.

1. Rich 11

She manages to make even Piers Moron look momentarily thoughtful and considerate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Sun, Mail and LBC all found her too controversial... and the Daily Mail even tried to distance themselves by saying she was employed by MailOnline rather than DM (although strangely they have the same owners and same offices)

2. Dazed and Confused

> I'm sure if you look in a modern dictionary, under troll you would find her as an analogy.

It used to be said that if you looked up "irascible" it would direct you to an entry for Harvey Smith, while if you looked up "Harvey Smith" it would direct you to irascible.

I suspect that a similar circular definition exists for Katie Hopkins and Troll.

As to whether she thinks she is being serious or whether she is being a deliberate troll is anyone's guess. But I'm sure she's milking it for all she's worth. Such people should be starved of the oxygen of publicity.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Such people should be starved of the oxygen of publicity.

I'd prefer to starve them of the oxygen of oxygen

1. Blitheringeejit
            Stop

Thou shalt not quote the saintly and much-missed Linda Smith without attribution!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I thought it was her...then I had a moment of doubt and thought it was Jeremy Hardy....then I got even more doubtful and Ian Hislop came to mind I'm at work, so looking online for attribution would incur the wrath of the Fun Police. Apologies for not naming names, and thanks for confirming that it was she who said it.

1. Blitheringeejit
                Boffin

For any anoraks interested - she said it about Jeffrey Archer. Which is the best proof I know that there is no god, as she was taken from us far too early, while he continues to rake in the moolah with his crappy books, unfazed by his two-year sojourn at Her Maj's pleasure.

Though to be fair - said sojourn was a source of great pleasure for a great many people, in addition to Her Maj. Just a shame it wasn't a life term - though we can be grateful that our television screens have been largely Archer-free since his release.

2. caffeine addict

She's that kind of professional troll who only exists because people react to her. Add in her own reality distortion field / idiocy and she's depressingly appealing to lovers and detractors alike.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Happy

"Never heard of Katie Hopkins before,

I WANT TO LIVE IN YOUR WORLD!

1. JetSetJim

Everyone should live in that world

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It'd be easier just to send Katy Hopkins to Khaptains world. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one :-)

2. Trilkhai
        Coat

You could, but then you'd have to have Donald Trump as the leader of your country. (Mine's the one with Boris the Spider in the pocket.)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She acts like an alt-right nutter to attract the alt-right nutters.

It seems advertisers even pay to advertise to small brained morons.

3. Neil 32

I now feel a need to bring up The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican who have a track in their repertoire which is a direct parody of The Wombles hit, nicely reworked to include the insult (although in it they decide to remark that Katie Hopkins is something a hole [sic] lot worse!)

I'll leave you to find it yourself with your favourite search engine!

1. Mooseman Silver badge

re:The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican

Possibly their best song

2. Hockney
      Thumb Up

Beat me to it.

(https://thebarstewardsons.bandcamp.com/album/the-bar-steward-sons-of-val-doonican-2008-2018-2018)

4. Nevermind
    Trollface

Confused

"possessing properties of striking idiocy"

Are we talking said Hopkins or Cockwomble here?

1. Richard IV

Re: Confused

Cockwombles are probably somewhere around the femtoHopkins scale, although it's hard to be accurate with these kind of magnitude differences.

5. Anonymous Custard

Pot meet kettle

"To call yourself 'plus-size' is just a euphemism for being fat. Life is much easier when you're thinner. Big is not beautiful, of course a job comes down to how you look."

So would that be similar to calling yourself a "public safety hazard" as a euphemism for being a brainless racist egotistical talentless publicity whore?

And boy does she need a womble or few going around after her to clear up all the shit she spouts...

1. Swiss Anton

Re: Pot meet kettle

"And boy does she need a womble or few going around after her to clear up all the shit she spouts..."

I doubt that even a womble could make use of the daily shit that she leaves behind.

(Ref - Making good use of the things that we find. Things that the everyday folks leave behind).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I doubt that even a womble could make use of the daily shit that she leaves behind."

But if the Wombles can collect it all and deposit it a bank of digesters to produce methane, we could power Boris's Brexit Britain into the the world superpower league tables again!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Jediben

How is she a safety hazard? Exactly how does a single printed opinion statememt constitute a viablw threat to wellbeing? GROW UP.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'in her own words, a "public safety hazard".'

Read the article and consider using a spellchecker before lecturing the kids, DAD.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, the reg article is misleading. Hopkins *said* it, quoting the council. It should read as follows.

Katie Hopkins, [in her own words] said "Eastbourne say I'm a safety hazard"

Though you are correct in calling out "JediBen" for jumping on the wrong person.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

How does a printed opinion constitute a viable threat to wellbeing?

I'm sure your familiar with the story of a mono-testicled Austrian who felt hard done by after being rejected from art school?

Or maybe a more recent memory of some douchebags using a printed opinion as the reason behind them flying some planes into buildings?

If you want to go on and defend how one persons opinion cannot drive another to commit atrocities, go read up on Charles Manson.

In Summary;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

6. iron Silver badge
    IT Angle

Katie Who?

'nuff said.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Thumb Up

Re: Katie Who?

Pray you never find out...

In this case ignorance is most definitely bliss.

2. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Katie Who?

Katie Who is a Gold Coast based singer/songwriter, (Video of her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTE1HUcHig).

A lot more talented than the Katie mention in the articles so please do not confuse the two :)

7. Jemma

Poor old Freiherr Coburg zu Beeb von Womble.

He must have missed the memo about his alter-ego Sir James Saville-Zee-Kidee-Fiddlit. You know, the part where he allegedly asked one of his young "friends" her favourite children's TV character, allegedly the Wombles, borrowed and dressed up in the uniform of Herr von Womble himself, and then - well you can imagine, Womble style - could have been worse I guess - she might have been into the Skeksis..

All in all I'm thinking I'm going to continue using the term. It's a perfect description for practically every politician and when the feminazis, and Braindead Boris, start whining about equal representation we can call them cocklesswombles.

I do however find it slightly odd that Ms Hopkins would be kicking around Brighton of all places - unless there's something she isn't telling us? And at her worst she has nothing on a woman called Pirro - she'd make Reinhard Heydrich hang up his spurs and resign. She's a walking talking sociopaths sociopath. The sort of person who'd put Hannibal Lecter on Diazepam.

8. Mandoscottie

whats the female equivalent of a cockwomble?

Katie Hopkins

Oh the irony!

May she continue to argue with such pillars of society, keeps her off the tv, shit steering narcassistic witch.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: whats the female equivalent of a cockwomble?

The female equivalent is c**tweasle.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shurley the gender-neutral term "shitweasle" applies to Hopkins?

1. Mandoscottie

I have it! Its simply "katiehopkins"

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

Well that's just great. Now you've gone and pissed off Catweasel as well.

9. Dan 55 Silver badge

A monster made by the media

If she had never been "discovered" by The Apprentice UK and then later kept in the news by the media her audience would be limited to the rest of the unhappy patrons drinking in the pub with a flat roof.

Now she's retweeted by POTUS 45, who was also helped to where he was by The Apprentice US.

I'm starting to think The Apprentice has a lot to answer for. Perhaps it could choose normal people instead of objectionable cockwombles for their programmes?

1. Simon Harris

Re: A monster made by the media

I have a feeling that The Apprentice with normal people who knew what they were doing and went about each task efficiently wouldn't make good television.

1. John Robson Silver badge

It could hardly fail to make *better* television than the current tosh it is*.

* This judgement is made on extremely limited information - with absolutely no evidence that any further information would change my opinion.

2. jake Silver badge

Is there, in fact, any "good" television? I've never seen any ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wrong side of Atlantic, though our standards have dropped precipitously in recent years.

2. Stoneshop
          Go

Is there, in fact, any "good" television?

Monty Python's Flying Circus, and Wallace and Gromit

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there, in fact, any "good" television?

and Attenborough ...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there, in fact, any "good" television?

There is some interesting documentary stuff (PBS mostly) which I watch on Netflix

3. MonkeyCee

Of course jake doesn't like TV.

As we all know, any time a profession you understand is represented on TV, there will be important plot items that are implausible or impossible. This can really throw you out of your suspension of disbelief, ending any desire to see the rest of the show.

Since jake is a renaissance man, it's likely there are very few shows made that don't involve something he's an expert in while being worth his time to watch.

If you're going to watch one show, then perhaps try The Rookie. Middle aged guy gets divorced, moves to LA and joins the LAPD. Based on the book about a guy doing just that.

1. MrReynolds2U

Just started it. Mainly because it features an ageing Cap'n Reynolds.

Have to say it's keeping me entertained thus far; although a few reavers thrown in for good measure wouldn't hurt.

2. jake Silver badge

So what you are saying is that television is made for the ignorant, uneducated masses? How surprised would you be if I were to tell you that I totally agree with you? One wonders if you would call me Juvenal were I to invoke the concept of panem et circenses ...

Enjoy your bliss, consumers.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Ah. That's a rich seam to explore. The Apprentice pretends to be about business. But it's about entertainment of course. It's the Telly innit.

So clearly the production team aren't choosing the brightest and best over the most entertaining. Some may be both, indeed are quite successful in their businesses. But mostly it's clowns.

And the Hopkins. Maybe she hasn't realised she's a clown?

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

A lot of hate here for The Apprentice, but I have to say that I think it's a vital part of the TV schedules.

Any time I'm feeling down, a bit bad about myself, thinking that I'm maybe under-achieving or not making a positive contribution to the human race....I watch an old episode of The Apprentice. Instantly, I am reminded that there are a number of people who are far worse human beings than I am, and I instantly feel better.

10. Chris King

It's a shame...

...that Katie Hopkins is too toxic for the Wombles to take away and recycle.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: It's a shame...

I think we should store her alongside high level nuclear waste.

1. sandman

Hmm, then we'd have the problem of chasing down the waste after it flees the repository...

1. Jemma

I'd be more worried about the Hopkins (d)evolving into something Hentai-esque from the "perfectly safe" radiation.

But I have to say "plus - sized" is a poor euphemism for "fat" - George Carlin would hate it.. "see we started with "fat" and then we segued to chubby, double the number of syllables you notice - and now we're at plus-sized or "morbidly obese", 5 syllables (the same number as the pizzas you just ate singlehandedly)? You get plus sized wet-wipes... You get fat humans" Morbidly obese doesn't have the same ring to it until they accidentally sit on you in coach..."

When you are like my aunt and her girlfriend - fat is the euphemism for what they were. Even their knees had beer bellies. They'd get in the car and the front end would resemble a Los Angeles class sub in a crash dive - just from the combined weight. They could have made a killing at a gay conversion camp - one uncensored version of those two copping off, any lesbian within visual range would be instantly straight. Those two were the antimatter version of Jodie Foster - the three of them in the same room would result in the sort of annihilation that results in comic book crusty quotes like "see this here crater? This used be a city bah name of San Francisco.."

1. Jediben

Hear hear.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, she's not welcome in Scotland.

1. VinceH

If ever there was a good reason to put all effort into developing a way to travel to the stars, Katie Hopkins is it.

Actually, if she's on board the first ship, even with today's technology we should be able to send it to the nearest star. Deep into the nearest star.

1. John Arthur
            Devil

Maybe she should be put on the 'B' Ark?

3. Simon Harris

Can't we store her *in* high level nuclear waste?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What has high level waste ever done to you?

4. Terry 6 Silver badge

I think we should store her inside high level nuclear waste. FTFY

5. simonlb Silver badge
        Unhappy

Or just sling the bitch off the top of Beachy Head using a trebuchet.

1. Simon Harris

Better make sure it's pointing South-West, or there may be some misunderstanding with the French over us launching offensive weapons in their direction.

1. baud

Don't worry, we'd send you our local cockwombles and cuntweasels in response

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or just sling the bitch off the top of Beachy Head using a trebuchet.

Oooh, yes please! When do tickets go on sale for that?

11. colinb

Enlightened

well my view of Eastbourne, admittedly an ignorant one based on never visiting it, has risen up a few notches.

"It will take more than willy waving your tiny chippolatas to silence Katie Hopkins"

Yeah ok, but what would? willy waving frankfurters? bratwursts?

12. TRT Silver badge

What next?

Bill Oddie banning even Goodier phrases.

Do, do, do the funky shitgibbon?

13. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I see Hopkins is still churning out hateful bile

I guess she needs the money to pay off that libel settlement.

1. Stoneshop

Re: I see Hopkins is still churning out hateful bile

It's high time for her major intestine to leap up and throttle her brain.

14. cornetman Silver badge

I'm not sure if they are particularly bad examples and I don't know anything about Katie Hopkins, but for most of the quotes in the callout at the side, I couldn't see much to factually disagree with. The Mohammad one is be a bit tasteless and probably hyperbole rather than intended to be factual.

It might be impolite to say some of those things in genteel company, but there's nothing particularly wrong with stirring the shit occasionally.

There is an old British tradition of trying to avoid talking about some topics, accompanied by tut-tutting and "Oh, I say". It's not for me I have to say.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

She literally called for refugees to be machine-gunned in their boats.

2. David Roberts

Context is everything.

The "Mohammed" quote could easily be repurposed to shouting "Jesus" outside a Latino school.

Or shouting "Kylie, Jason" for a certain age group and demographic.

I assume the implication in the context was that the place was overrun by bloody foreigners/people not of a chosen favourite religion or whatever.

The danger, obviously, is to use a quote with some underlying logic in a context which makes you accept the biased conclusion.

15. jake Silver badge

Perhaps one of our right-pondian cousins ...

... could compare and contrast cockwomble and twatdangler in light of TOA, just for the elucidation of those of us in left-pondia? I'm sure Uncle Bulgaria would heartily approve.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phwoar. Katie Hopkins!

I don't agree with her points of view, but for some reason I find her curiously attractive.

Ouch.

Time for a cold shower?

Cun?womble

1. cornetman Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Phwoar. Katie Hopkins!

It's the eyes I think.

I have a similar inclination towards Anita Sarkeesian.

Cold showers all round I think. <shudder>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For me its the aquiline nose and winning personality.

What a catch!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When they're making out they're not speaking.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but for some reason I find her curiously attractive

I recommend that you change your medication - whatever you are taking at the moment obviously isn't working..

1. Spacedinvader
        Thumb Up

Also, check out Specsavers...

17. Chris G

Considering where Ms Hopkins was born, I suspect she was engendered by that small part of the population there who are enamored of sheep and other close relatives. Anyone know if she can play a banjo?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

I had to give you a upvote for that as shes from North Devon as opposed to South.

18. Starace
    Devil

Who the hell cares about any of it?

All involved in this are idiots, Hopkins for being Hopkins and the rest for wasting energy on reacting to her. Just ignore it and let it die, it lives on the reactions it gets.

Impressive number of words dragged out in response to nothing though so bravo on meeting quota.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Who the hell cares about any of it?

But....you....also....commented.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who the hell cares about any of it?

Yes, with a reasonable "stop stoking the fire", not encouragement to stoke it.

19. SVV

They even had a pop hit in 1974.

Actually, an astounding 8 top 20 singles and 3 top 20 albums in the 1970s. Singer / songwriter Mike Batt who was resposible called them "a huge furry anvil round my neck". Though presumably they were also a huge furry credit on his bank balance.

"When you see Katie Hopkins you think of someone who is just looking for attention, who hasn't managed to find a way in their life through conventional means and who is just shouting 'I want attention! I want to be looked at!'"

Easy this trolling for stuff, isn't it? (Note : Wombles much nicer than trolls.)

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: They even had a pop hit in 1974.

I was trying to remember them:

Remember you’re a Womble.

The Wombling Song

A Wombling Merry Christmas

Minueta Alegretto

Madame Cholet

If there were 8 I can’t remember any more.

20. Jediben

Nothing wrong with her expressing an opinion. Some I agree with, some I don't. Welcome to the viewpoint of an ADULT.

1. TRT Silver badge

She is entitled to her opinion. Her assumption that everyone else is entitled to it as well is what i find unforgivable.

She is entitled to her opinions.

We are entitled to our opinions about her opinions.

2. Teiwaz
      Joke

Nothing wrong with her expressing an opinion.

I've seen some of her opinions, nothing wrong with her expressing them in the same way there is nothing wrong with 'insert random unpleasant minor celeb' getting thier junk out live on CBBC.

3. Mooseman Silver badge

"Welcome to the viewpoint of an ADULT"

2 things - first, if you don't find her opinions self aggrandising and utterly offensive there is something wrong with you

Secondly, using CAPITALS like "GROW UP" and "ADULT" makes you look like an idiot.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suggestion

Recommend that henceforth El Reg uses the term 'Cockhopkins'.

Please cast your votes.

Re: Suggestion

Collateral damage for the good Hopkins’ like Johns Hopkins, Bonnie Tyler and Mary Hopkin who isn’t a plural but close enough. Those were the days my friend.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Katie here?

Strange, someone is downvoting every single post. Lol.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Is Katie here?

Some cockwomble is, yes.

23. Haku

K**** H******

I wish people wouldn't write it's name in full.

We should treat that thing like Sam Niell & co. did to Mab at the end of the 1989 Merlin miniseries, they took away her power by turning their backs on her and walking away.

24. devTrail

Trouble is ...

... that this article in one way or another provides some publicity to the previously unknown Katie Hopkins.

I suspect she is the usual actor playing a role designed by big media. They create the trolls and when needed they use them as sparring partners. Many tricks can come out of it, sometimes the troll brings to the extreme the truth letting it appear as fake, sometimes the troll starts a row with the journalists, the troll starts shouting absurd ideas and the journalists reply with something that seems more reasonable in such a way that in the exchange from the extreme to the reasonable position few people notice that both are fake.

25. Claverhouse Silver badge

Only heard the name; but she is not wrong discussing tattooed freaks.

Call it what it is, just diseased skin.

26. Claverhouse Silver badge

For Where Is Bohun ? Where Is Mowbray ? Where Is Mortimer?

And I didn't even realise 'Gazza' was still alive.

Not being a football fan I only ever knew 2 things about him: he once enjoyed having his private parts grabbed by a fellow player for reasons unknown; and it was evident that by the end of the 20th century the fine old Norman names redolent of our fine old aristocracy were now settled in council estates.

27. chromechronicle

If I had one minor superpower...

...it would be to be able to cast a spell over the world so that no one would ever react to people like Katie Hopkins, Piers Morgan et al, thus starving them of the oxygen of attention, reaction and publicity. The pleasure I would derive from watching them wither and die as no one takes a blind bit of notice to their increasingly desperate provocation would be akin to witnessing the last seconds of Donald's Trump US presidency.

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge
      Devil

Re: If I had one minor superpower...

except that the Donald will find a way of being made POTUS for life.... the horror, the horror

28. ICPurvis47
    Boffin

Wombles.

When I was working as a Junior Development Engineer for a large electrical manufacturing company in the Midlands, I was the youngest of a group of three that were developing a new range of heavy duty switchgear. We tried to use as much of the company's existing products as possible, to save on development costs, and so I was usually to be found wandering around the factory looking for ides and purloining stuff off the production line to incorporate in our new product. We became known throughout the company as "The Wombles", our illustrious leader was dubbed Grand Uncle Bulgaria, because he was from eastern Europe (well, Poland, actually), the Senior Dev Eng called himself Orinoco, because he said that he was "Fat and Lazy", and I was dubbed Tobermory, because I was the one with all the ideas and who did the actual scrounging. At the end of that project, when our product was in the field, we all were moved on to other projects, I went into Vacuum Switchgear, Bulgaria went into manglement, but poor old Orinoco took ill and died.

29. baud

I don't really disagree on her opinion regarding tattoos

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@baud: "don't really disagree on her opinion regarding tattoos"

You don't see hypocrisy with the old Harpy using controversy to get attention? She's denigrating people with tattoos, claiming they do it for attention, while being a vapid attention seeker herslf? Pot, Kettle, Black?

30. Alistair

The Toronto version

of Katie Hopkins would be F**th G***y.

Alt-Right, troll mouthpiece with horrible logic and paranoid delusional self image issues. No, I'm inclined *not* to give it any publicity -- fortunately our version has essentially faded away recently after Ontario's version of POTUS managed to get elected premier, although I'm horribly concerned that A. Scheer will truck it back out to make himself seem like a more middle of the road candidate. And you right pondians now have ... nope, nope, initials not a good thing here.....

Sadly I think globally politics has gone completely into the shi**er

31. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Katie Hopkins and Boris Johnson had a baby

Cockwomble

32. Dr.Flay
    Headmaster

It is not swearing, it is biology

Cock Womble = Male Womble

Hen Womble = Female Womble

Group noun: Jumble-sale.

33. RLWatkins

Poor choice of sample Hopkinsisms

Much though I loathe Hopkins as a thoroughgoing nitwit and although I consider 95% of what she says to be utter nonsense, 3-1/2 of the seven sample Hopkinsisms you published actually make perfect sense. Please don't whitewash this sorry waste of oxygen.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Different Tribe...

I'm amazed old Bulgaria got involved here, I thought it common knowledge that the Cockwomble tribe lurk on Clapham Common, and have somewhat different habits than, and no affiliations with, their polyandrous Wimbledon cousins...[yes, yes, I know there are more female wombles than Cholet in the books and the TV reboots...]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon