back to article We need citizen devs, cries Microsoft – but pricey new licensing plans for PowerApps might put paid to that

Microsoft introduced new licensing plans for its PowerApps platform at the Inspire partner conference this week to accommodate the increasing capabilities available. Microsoft's PowerApps is growing apace, certainly in terms of the effort the company is putting into extending it. It is one of three components in what the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

We are just not going to have professional developers to build these applications.

And that pretty much sums up Microsoft's attitude towards software engineers.

Hey, SatNad: would you go to a citizen-dentist for a root canal? My apartment building's Mr-Fixit has some power tools and drills in his toolbox. I'm sure he can help.

Oooooh, you won't go to a citizen-dentist for a root canal. Why not?

1. Teiwaz

Re: We are just not going to have professional developers to build these applications.

This 'dBase idea' for the non-programmer has been tried before.

Until you've got something like the Computer on the Enterprise D (and citizens used to the idea of challenging themselves rather than tromping through the motions they were taught on their first day on the job) not really very likely without some structured logical training at least.

2. simonlb Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: We are just not going to have professional developers to build these applications.

I wonder if you could use it to build a decent looking and functional UI to nail onto Windows 10?

1. jelabarre59

We've already got a decent looking and functional UI (Cinnamon Desktop). The trick is getting it to work as a MSWin shell. Was so much better with the MSWin 3.x versions where that was a fully-supported function (although through at least the MSWin 9x versions it could be made to work too).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wonder if you could use it to build a decent looking and functional UI to nail onto Windows 10?

That's about as impossible as retrofitting some security and respect for privacy to it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Microsoft championing compassionate, generous, enlightened developer relations?

If they actually do that, then I expect their next initiative will involve flying pigs. Or maybe they will outsource that one to Elon Musk.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Microsoft: We need you

but we need your Money more! (says the most valuable company in the world by market cap)

No change there then!

MS BAU

1. mics39
      Megaphone

Re: Microsoft: We need you

We need more cheap labour!

4. JohnFen

Microsoft's deal

We'll imprison you in our ecosystem and charge you plenty for the privilege! Now thank us, plebe.

5. thondwe

Excel

Citizen Developers use Excel don't they? And we all know how well that works?

1. John70

Re: Excel

Oh yes....

2. David Lewis 2
      Joke

Senior Citizen Developers use Access!

1. jelabarre59

Senior Citizen Developers use Access!

UGH! I've seen some of those amateur-built Access projects. Why would ANYONE have thought welding together the UI and the data storage itself into the SAME file was ever a good idea?

1. Captain Scarlet
          Trollface

To speed up database application development for simple applications.

2. Captain Scarlet
        Coat

Yup and my frankenstein access front ends from years ago keep going (Obviously data and stored procedures are run via sql hense pretty reliable).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And while we're at it..

.. we'll keep an eye on you pesky lot via our spyware in case one of you comes up with a really good idea, which we will then "accidentally" develop an equivalent for.

What? Stac Electronics? But that's old, we are now a better company now, and we even support Linux. We're not running a triple licensing/spyware/IP theft scam now, honest.

Well, not right now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like