back to article Oracle told to warp 9 out of court: Judge photon-torpedoes Big Red's Pentagon JEDI dream

Oracle today lost its bid to be considered for the US Department of Defense's Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI) cloud contract, leaving either Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure as the likely winner of the $10bn, decade-long deal. JEDI aims to provide "enterprise-level, commercial cloud services" to the …

1. FQ

Politics in procurement, you don't say

Marco Rubio bought by Larry Ellison? Anyway, Trump doesn't like Bezos so I guess JEDI is going to Microsoft? With the recent Microsoft and Oracle cloud alliance Oracle will be back in this.

Or perhaps procurement should be based solely on qualifications. Why commercial cloud anyway. DARPA should be able to do this better.

1. Reg Reader 1

Re: Politics in procurement, you don't say

Agreed, but the potential largess toward a certain ruling American family and their lackies is not nearly as large from DARPA as from mega Corps.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

TWO Star Trek references??

You should have used time Distort Five, and kept all the Blakes Seven fans happy

1. MichaelBirks

Re: TWO Star Trek references??

Both of us!!

2. MAF

Re: TWO Star Trek references??

Speed Standard by five

3. Jemma

In other news

Science fiction geeks are having conniptions about combining trek, wars, let alone the upwardly-mobile Roman & his sidekick, the-girl-who-should-not-have-been-cast* in one article heading.

It's expected most will survive.

*Seriously, she's like Adric with tits. Still no-ones as bad as Karen "did-no-one-notice-they-dropped-a-rock-on-her" Gillan. That girl is a crime against cinematography - she's as wooden as the fighting Temeraire.

(Who else is seriously shipping a Doctor Who/Gentleman Jack crossover. There's a cyber-dildo in my wardrobe...!). I'm still slightly confused about the maid though, I mean she's tall, slim, french, utterly beautiful and completely ignored.

I'm somewhat reminded of Drawn Together by Gentleman Jack..

"you're handsome & witty & perfectly dreamy..."

"and you're whiney & self-hating & probably bi-polar. You're exactly my type...!"

Basically sums up the whole storyline.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: In other news

"Impressive. Literally everything you said was wrong."

--Captain James T. Kirk

1. el kabong

huh? Literally???

Do you really want to use that word? Do you even know what that word stands for?

Sorry for playing the semantic nazi here but, you don't have a clue, do you. You don't have a fuggin clue!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: huh? Literally???

The actual state of this post...

(Or should that be "literal"?)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news

That girl is a crime against cinematography

Damn sexy, though.

4. a_yank_lurker

Not Surprised

The bureaucrats writing the specs know how to play the game so the pool is limited to a few vendors. What the Minions failed to do was convince the bureaucrats their options were on par with AWS and Azure. So either the Minions are incompetent or they are competitive (or both). Having worked as supplier on government contracts one of the keys to making a valid, difficult to challenge contract is to make the specs broad enough that were always a few bidders who qualified while making them strict enough to keep the undesirables. Can be done, often is done, and is perfectly legal when done correctly.

1. NetBlackOps

Re: Not Surprised

I was one of the front line critters that would challenge the overpriced pieces of crap we'd get and never once successfully got one reversed. Ten years after I was discharged, fifteen or more after filing said challenges, I was still getting denials from the Pentagon helpfully forwarded by the other lifer on my destroyer. Only stopped when I moved without a forwarding address.

2. DCFusor

Preach it, brother - been there too. Sometimes the trick is even used for good. In a field of say, a few vendors, often one will be a standout in terms of delivering on time, in budget, and working correctly, while the others aren't as good and/or merely have more aggressive liars (marketing) or as in this case shysters. A good contracting officer will arrange things so the right choice is made - that's what they're best at.

Now, they often don't know the tech that well - in this case if the government had a surplus of competent IT people we would not be here talking about this at all - it'd be done in house. However, and especially at the upper levels, government is populated by people who value humdrum job security above all else, not the types to want to get into complex issues or disruption or boat-rocking.

Thus it's often perfectly legitimate that they contact the potential vendors and find out about the tech they think they want, and get educated so they can write that selective RFP better. While sometimes there is corruption (as in all other things) - it's also useful to educate them on what's reasonable to ask for - and to plan for in the field. Also, that vendor's performance in other contracts and similar cases - in this case Amazon's work for classified info for other entities, and the fact that militaries actually run on logistics far more than most realize - strategy and tactics are secondary to having the right amount of stuff brought to the party - the choice is kind of obvious. Who is obviously best at logistics right now?

Of course, status at work is also important to government contract officers, there's more to it than actual competence and results, but you get the idea.

I happen to think this single point of failure is a really bad idea...it'll be one heck of a target for an adversary. But as is, you have tons of points of almost as bad failures - far too many leaky colonels with laptops that have creds for more than one database or information function - to phish, also bad. Hard to call that one.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

The single point of failure has validity, but so does the complex threat landscape. When there's just the one system, without interaction to others, the single point of failure argument is the more important, as everyone who wants to attack it knows what they're going to target. However, if the DoD used two cloud services and linked them together (I.E. one system running on AWS is used to control another system they've decided to run on Azure), an attacker could target either AWS or Azure in order to tamper with that system. If everything runs on only one of the cloud services, there are fewer available vulnerabilities. In addition, the costs for ensuring proper administration are reduced because the techs only have to be drilled in proper administration and security of one cloud service, rather than potentially following a policy appropriate to one and not the other or having different teams familiar primarily with different providers. So there's an argument for multiple providers or just one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

So, this is over? For real?

We won't have to read about yet another sour grapes lawsuit or appeal from Oracle about JEDI and DoD?

> Oracle chairman Larry Ellison has given millions of dollars to support Marco Rubio.

Yeah, but that TOTALLY has absolutely nothing to do with Rubio's latest intervention.

6. TheVogon

I can hear the world's smallest violin playing just for Oracle...

1. DCFusor

You have really good ears, then. I don't think anyone picked it up to even bother to play it.

7. Mark 85

They're only out of the running for the main contract....

There will be, if government and contractors run true to form, a whole pile of sub-contracts going out with the main contractor basically just sitting back, counting the money and barking at those sub-contractors actually doing the work. So Oracle may get some that money.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't seem altruistic

Oracle just wants to help, being a patriotic company and supportive of the DoD "mission". Money is not a concern.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Doesn't seem altruistic

Not forgetting its social role in caring for retired-politicians by finding them directorships

9. Jove Bronze badge

Rejected contract candidates resorting to litigation ...

Seems to be a common practice, especially within the European rail systems and vehicle manufactures community; if they do not win the contract on the merits of their offering they resort to litigation on the basis of a technical issue with the way the contract competition has been offered or run. Yet these court challenges (at least in the cases I am aware of) seem invariably to be rejected.

Are businesses using the court procedures as a tactic to buy time to try and influence contract competitions via back channels?

10. Gaius

Literal LOL at Oracle describing anything else as “legacy”

1. el kabong
      Megaphone

A legitimate use of the word "literal." FINALLY!!!!

A literal upvote to you and I do mean **Literal** because I just upvoted your comment.

Too many morons using the word "literal" and "literally" with no understanding of what those words stand for. As usual in most morons they don't know that they are morons and rebel when exposed, they throw downvotes at you because as morons that's all they can do. A very sad situation!

Headmaster

Re: A legitimate use of the word "literal." FINALLY!!!!

I am literally wetting myself reading you're grammer Nazi comments.

1. el kabong

Semantic not "grammer"

The difference between the two, though enormous, might be too subtle for some to grasp I suppose, but there's a not so small difference between the two. I know you might think they are the same and I can understand why, but there is a huge difference, really, you can trust me on that.

Headmaster

Re: Semantic not "grammer"

Surely you mean "Symantec nazi"?

2. VicMortimer Silver badge

Begone foul prescriptivist!

The word "literally" has literally not had that exclusive meaning for well over three centuries.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

So the current crop of alleged 'morons' will be in good company with 'morons' the likes of Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte.

3. fandom

From the Oxford dictionary:

Literally: informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.

You have already lost this war, have the decency to move on

1. Charles 9

Anyway, it's not like English of all languages is set in stone. That said, I myself consider the term "literally" as in if someone literally paid an arm and a leg, that person should be minus said limbs (there are fiction where this actually happens).

11. GrapeBunch

Gold in Them Thar

Here in Little Rock, home of the arcane, we will assimilate the JEDI with our patented CLAMPETTI technology.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, please pick MicroSloth!

I don't know which end scenario there would be the most amusing, all the Pentagon data hacked and released to the world, or all the data locked up by ransomware. But either way it'll be fucking hilarious.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Going to be really interesting if M$ is chosen.

Only time will tell which vendor will get the lock-in from the DoD....

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
      Joke

So you want a little paper clip on the screen that says, "I see you're trying to blow shit up. Would you like some help?" and when you push Yes it says "File not found. Would you like us to troubleshoot it?" Then the troubleshooter comes up with "Not a Genuine Microsoft-approved Missile System."

13. devTrail

The evil cognitive bias

It seems that Oracle is playing the role of the bad guy who by attacking a rigged process by reaction is letting it appear less bad than what it is.

Oracle reputation shouldn't overshadow the fact that JEDI shows how in the US the grip on power by giant monopolistic businesses is growing by the day.

14. Basil II

I am glad the DOD will avoid Oracle salespeople.

15. STrRedWolf
    FAIL

Badly mixing your franchises...

Someone had a hyperspace engine failure there. "Warp 9" and "photon torpedo" are Star *Trek* references, but the Pentagon's JEDI project is a Star *Wars* reference. Next thing we know people are going to argue that Starbucks shot the Darlek first.

Queue the red shirt vs storm trouper fight jokes in 3... 2... 1... (someone call the Doctor)

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Badly mixing your franchises...

thatsthejoke.jpg

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Re: Badly mixing your franchises...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Yp1reKtRXnE/maxresdefault.jpg

16. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
    FAIL

I can see it now...

Search for a form for a troop to go on leave. Amazon pulls up books with the word Leave in the title, rakes (for leaves), books on rakes, bonzai trees (to grow your own leaves), ect.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like