back to article Firefox 68 arrives with darker dark mode, redesigned extensions dashboard

Mozilla's new Firefox, 68, is out, and among other things it fixes an annoyance in the "Dark mode" theme where the toolbar in Reader mode retained a "light" appearance. In the Windows, macOS, Linux and iOS release, the browser-maker is also surfacing its "Recommended Extensions" scheme, where editorial staff identify add-ons …

1. Ben Tasker
    Thumb Up

In the new Firefox iOS (version 18), sites that you display in desktop view will always be in desktop view unless you switch back. A blue dot in the address bar indicates that you have the desktop site.

With the added benefit that you should stop being served narsty narsty AMP

1. iron Silver badge

Why just iOS? This would be useful on Android too since many sites cripple themselves to almost unusable when they see a mobile UA.

1. Captain Scarlet

I tend to find some sites also spam INSTALL OUR APP LOLS over those pages as well (Reddit for one).

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Flame

"the test is borked, or (more likely) this is challenging for many web designers"

It's easy, just don't use light grey text on a white background.

1. Spoonsinger
      Coat

Re: just don't use light grey text on a white background.

Cyan on Yellow it is then

2. skeptical i
      Devil

Re: "the test is borked, or (more likely) this is challenging for many web designers"

When the hordes of millennials start getting cataracts and other "old-age eye" problems, then maybe we'll see more shifts to black text on white backgrounds, and to fonts that don't require squinting and guessing (weren't Georgia and Verdana designed to be better legible on screens?). As much as I like the look of light grey text on white, I hate trying to actually read it.

Apparently Lucifer has the mother of all cataracts ------>

1. Fatman
        Joke

Re: "the test is borked, or (more likely) this is challenging for many web designers"

<quote>As much as I like the look of light grey text on white, I hate trying to actually read it.</quote>

Count me as a member of that `club`.

IM(NS)HO, those developers ought to have their eyes put out.

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Windows

"When the hordes of millennials start getting cataracts and other "old-age eye" problems"

Can confirm. I'm about to hit 40, and although I don't need glasses all the time, I am starting to need them for very fine work (eg soldering small things, or threading a needle).

Mind you, people in their twenties seem to be wearing glasses from a much earlier age. I guess less people get called speccy-four-eyes at school these days.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

When the hordes of millennials start getting cataracts and other "old-age eye" problems, then maybe we'll see more shifts to black text on white backgrounds

So, when we're dead and buried then.

I don't understand why it's done anyway, nobody saw the need to do it from the mid-80s when it was technically possible till, say, 2015 or something. If anything people should be more aware over accessibility issues now than ever.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Mushroom

"It's easy, just don't use light grey text on a white background."

or BRIGHT BLUE on BLINDING WHITE or any _OTHER_ uber-low-contrast HARD ON THE EYES combination of colors... [proving that web "developers" have an overall intelligence deficiency]

and why is FF still *ALL* *2D* *FLATTY* ??? hasn't someone GOTTEN A CLUE yet on that?

1. Adrian 4

Or pale yellow / lime green on white, like the distributors of the default .bashrc.

3. Pat Att

Push notification in Android

I realise that this isn't about Android, but I'm on the brink of removing Firefox from my phone because it insists on giving a stubborn push notification that keeps coming back after I swipe it away, if there is a video on a page I've looked at. Does anyone know how to stop it happening?

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Push notification in Android

Depends on the version of Android you've got IIRC.

I had that a while back, so I went into Manage Apps and disabled media playback notifications for Firefox.

If you're on an older version of android which isn't that granular, you may need to just disable notifications entirely for it.

Unless it's changed, there isn't a setting within firefox itself

1. Pat Att

Re: Push notification in Android

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

4. Mike Lewis

Back to the... past

Just installed 68.0 ESR, doesn't handle XML files so it's back to 60.7.2 ESR and the elusive hunt for 60.8.0 ESR in GB English.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      1. Mike Lewis

Re: Back to the... past

Thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like