back to article The ISS Experience: Not visiting any time soon? Through a VR glass darkly may be next best thing

There are plenty of virtual reality "experiences" involving space to keep fans happy. The Register had a go at the latest of the breed, which aims to bump the quality up a notch. Dubbed The ISS Experience, the documentary is currently being filmed aboard the orbiting outpost, but the first few scenes were shown off last week …

1. MiguelC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I guess it's as close as I could (virtually) ever get to the ISS so it may be the one thing that might get me to spend any cash on a VR set.

1. tony72

I have an Oculus Go, and I know what I'll be doing with it tonight now. Perfectly capable for this kind of thing, and really not much money at all compared to PC-based rigs. Although if I could go back in time, I'd wait and buy a Quest instead.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

no leaning forward to take a closer

If the original footage is more than 4K, then a digital zoom should be possible to allow a little freedom of movement. But that depends on the processing power available to the headset or it's associated hardware. It'd mean storing the super hi-res source.

1. Annihilator

Re: no leaning forward to take a closer

"If the original footage is more than 4K, then a digital zoom should be possible to allow a little freedom of movement"

Probably not - if you move forward in space, the image changes perspective which wouldn't be possible with a flat image.

This is a 360 film, not a VR film. Loads of them exist on youtube etc and have for a while now.

3. Annihilator

Format war

I sense the next blocker in the way of VR is the war around formats. So far, there is exclusive content for PS4VR, Oculus, and HTC Vive, to name but 3. Does Google's VR have some as well?

This looks awesome, but my only platform available is PS4, so I luck out...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like