back to article Dear El Reg, Will Windows 10 break my VPN? I read it on the web so it must be true

Microsoft's latest official Windows 10 update, OS Build 18362.207, from June 27, 2019, can potentially break your VPN. But it probably won't because it's an edge case that can be expected to affect very few people. We saw some signal flares raising the alarm and, upon looking into the issue, it's clear there's less than meets …

1. adnim

incremental improvements

They mean changes. An improvement is like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.

When a manufacturer of anything spouts new improved recipe, it usually means they have used cheaper resources and have improved their bottom line.

1. mics39
      Facepalm

Re: incremental improvements

Ha! Never underestimate the power of Microsoft to screw the public.

2. Danny 2

Silence of the LANs

There is comedy gold in these here hills.

If any of you El Reg writers want to reach a wider audience for your wit then I suggest you jointly putting on a show for the Edinburgh International Festival. It used to be for art but it's mainly comedy now, and you can use my flat for free.

Don't underestimate your appeal. I introduced a pal to XKCD, and this guy is technologically illiterate, but now he is a devotee who gives me gifts of XKCD merch.

I can't get you a vulture but I could probably get you a buzzard, maybe a sea eagle, if you promise to return it unharmed after your stint.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Silence of the LANs

> If any of you El Reg writers want to reach a wider audience for your wit then I suggest you jointly putting on a show for the Edinburgh International Festival. It used to be for art but it's mainly comedy now, and you can use my flat for free.

There was once a show called "The Silence of the Trams".

[This is jolly witty if you know all about the huge cost and time overruns of Edinburgh's project to reintroduce trams; less so if you actually lived there and therefore suffered the disruption *and* had to pay for it.]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There was once a show called "The Silence of the Trams".

[This is jolly witty if you know all about the huge cost and time overruns of Edinburgh's project to reintroduce trams; less so if you actually lived there and therefore suffered the disruption *and* had to pay for it.]

Don't knock them, some of us make a living writing software for those there trams ;-)

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Coat

Given some of the wit you find at Edinburgh I'd have thought a Norwegian Blue would be more appropriate.

(Mines the one with "Fuck Off I Live Here" on the front - I only wear it to work, truth is I love the Festivals)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RASMAN ? fuggedabowtit, use OVPN/Passepartoute and PiVPN

Easy to set up always on for iphone/android and simple OVPN client for windows.

10 year certs on a one line installer for PiVPN means any numpty can set it up.

Use Passepartout (A non-official, user-friendly OpenVPN® client for iOS. Soon for macOS) to set up always on VPN for when you are away from your choice of whitelisted wifi networks. Add in Pi.Hole on the same Pi or debian install/server and you kill all of the adverts as well.

Currently running on an old Pi2 :-)

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: RASMAN ? fuggedabowtit, use OVPN/Passepartoute and PiVPN

Sure, a corporation running Windows server 2016 is going to go Hmmmm let's forget the 10+GBS of throughout of this server and it's built in VPN, let's shove it through a 5 year old raspberry pi instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really?

Does anyone run a VPN using windows server as an endpoint?

Christ only knows what state the RASMAN stack is in now that its been through the OS update-a-thon mill from W2K -> WVista -> W7 -> W10 and there is no massive user pool testing it world wide. I'd be surprised if there are more than a few thousand corporate VPNs that aren't using cert based auth / vendor clients.

If you 've got a requirement for a 10+GBS throughput you'd be a twat if your first thought is a Windows Server rather than a VPN concentrator/appliance designed from the ground up to do it.

In fact, I imagine that the VAST majority of users affected by this issue are those using web based privacy/v-piracy subscription VPNs, you know, non-corporate users for whom a £50 one off outlay compares nicely with an annual cost of £50 for a contended service of dubious quality and security.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

"Does anyone run a VPN using windows server as an endpoint?"

I'm going to hazard that yes, people run VPNs using windows server as an endpoint, even if for no other reason that the windows install base is goddamn massive.

You may as well ask if anybody is running on Dial-Up any more, which they probably are despite that being so obsolete that I can't imagine going back to it.

1. Is It Me

In a previous job we used Windows Server as a VPN server for the schools we supported.

2. phuzz Silver badge

At my last job we used Windows based VPNs, mainly so that the users would only have one username/password combination to forget.

Unsurprisingly they still forgot them anyway (although it's funny how often certain people's passwords would mysteriously 'change', but they hadn't forgotten them, oh no, of course not).

4. oxfordmale78

Sophos Anitvirus does kill Windows 10 1903 build laptops

On a completely different topic, Sophos Antivurs and Windows 10 latest build (1903) do not like each other. Sophos Endpoint ends up taking up as much memory as it can get, eventually crashing most applications and requiring a reboot.

1. cynic56

Re: Sophos Anitvirus does kill Windows 10 1903 build laptops

In my experience Sophos never likes anything.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will Windows 10 break my VPN?

I dunno about Windows 10 but I heard that another bloated OS component actually DOES break VPN's.

See here for details:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7182

1. NATTtrash
      Trollface

Re: Will Windows 10 break my VPN?

@AC: Erm, do you know that this issue was closed right? So it can not be a problem. Look again at the github feed you link to, and scroll to the bottom. Didn't you see that the "issue" was reported multiple times, pretty sure all being duplicates? And we all know that issues reported multiple times are always, per definition, the quintessential non-issue. That's why they are reported multiple times. Because there is no issue! So...

poettering commented Dec 4, 2018

[...] let's close this hence

"Meanwhile, the new kid on the Linux block, MX Linux, doesn't stop to surprise the world with its stellar rise in use and appreciation! This elegant lightweight cooperation of MXLinux and antiX devs, which has taken over the number one spot from the previous Linux poster boy, LinuxMint, brings democracy back to the Linux universe single handedly by letting the user decide whether systemD should be enabled, or whether the system runs fine just without it"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Will Windows 10 break my VPN?

" poettering commented Dec 4, 2018 [...] let's close this hence"

I believe "snabb" pretty much summed up this and any/all other systemd bug reports:

"Looks like the author insists nothing is broken. Situation is hopeless"

6. JohnG

Funnily enough, on my notebook, the Windows update in question messed up something to do with HyperV and broke name resolution. Until I figured out what the update had changed, I was only able to achieve useful Internet access via OpenVPN.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spidey senses have just tingled ...

Who remembers the old Windows 95 onwards login boxes that had a "use dial up networking to login" checkbox at the bottom of the screen. The problem being to authenticate to the server the workstation needed a network connection, but you couldn't access networking until you were logged in ....

I never liked that either.

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Colour me dissappointed.

Awwww... I only came for the comments from the NIX community to say how much better their O/S is...

...it is, of course ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"on devices where the diagnostic data level is manually configured to the non-default setting of 0"

the non-default setting of 0 Does it mean no telemetry/slurping?

"You broke our surping telemetry, we broke your VPN!!!!"

1. sofaspud

Re: "on devices [...]"

Yeah, in reading the Official Microsoft Workaround for this issue, it sure scans to me like you have to turn telemetry on for RASMAN to work again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4501375/windows-10-update-kb4501375

Cranky and cynical as I am, I still manage to raise an eyebrow at this one. The only scenarios I can think of for how a bug of this class could have happened suggest that coding skill over at MS has declined even further than I thought -- and that was already pretty low.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like