back to article How do you know it's finally the weekend? Clock hits 5pm? No, Slack goes down on a Friday afternoon in June

Well, it's official: the weekend starts here. Not because it has ticked past 1700 on a Friday in Europe, not because it has gone midday in New York City on a Friday, and not because it's already Saturday in Asia and Australia. No, it's because it's a Friday afternoon at the end of June, and Slack has gone down. That means all …

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"slack goes down"

There was me, wondering for about a half an article, if productivity miraculously increases on a Friday afternoon...

1. antman

Productivity increase

It did for me. Cut the front and back lawn and did some weeding.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Do Mattermost ( https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/19/mattermost_50m/ ) still think Slack validates chat S/W?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to worry...

With Skype, SkypefB, Teams and assorted other apps installed on laptops and mobiles, the ad-hoc and disjointed way to contact colleagues is hardly affected by this outage.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Not to worry...

So, just as ad hoc, disjointed and unreliable (in that are you sure that recipient sender X is using the correct address. But it would be interesting to see a proper study of productivity before and after such an outage (very difficult I know).

4. Trev 2

Time to revive MSN?

So this is as company crippling as when MSN messenger used to fail and you'd have to talk to other people...or email...or sit there staring at the login screen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time to revive MSN?

MSN? Pffftttt......youngsters....

You want a real messaging outage, what about when AOL used to go down?

1. Is It Me

IRC was where it was at

1. yoganmahew

"MSG" or "tell at" if you were sophisticated. You could even set up nicknames with their userid and node. And the messaes were guaranteed delivery (up to a point of returning to tell you it had failed).

And you could send from your VM to their TSO.

For 'twas IBM mainframes in the year of our lord 1980something of which he spake.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gen Z developers! Now you can try using your typing skills for actual coding!

6. big_D Silver badge
    Coat

Slackers?

Is that why Slack users are called slackers?

7. Ima Ballsy
    Coat

O.F. here ....

What the HELL is SLACk ?

1. deadlockvictim

Re: O.F. here ....

A company-mandated distraction tool.

1. Ima Ballsy

Re: O.F. here ....

Like a smart phone ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like