back to article It could be Rotterdam or anywhere, Wiltshire or in Bath: Euro cops cuff 6 for cybersquatting, allegedly nicking €24m in Bitcoin

European cops have cuffed six people for typosquatting – in this case spoofing a well known cryptocurrency exchange – and allegedly making off with €24m worth of Bitcoin tokens. The arrest is the culmination of a 14-month joint investigation between Britain's South West Regional Cyber Crime Unit and the National Crime Agency, …

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

And another scam

The only thing that seems guaranteed about crypto currency is fraud ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And another scam

I'm guessing that's why JP Morgan is getting involved. It has finance, and it has fraud..

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

Bitcoin will crash

the minute I invest any cash in BC, it will crash.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bitcoin will crash

Let us know before you do so we can short it

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Trollface

Now I see I have your attention ! I'm sure we could work something out.

1. Mark 85

Sounds like a plan to me. Good luck.

2. Hans 1

Wait until it is low, like $$$$, then invest and wait:

https://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg2920ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

It is like a wave, well, a tsunami, you just have to get in when it has fallen again - these cryptocurrencies fall real low, then Feacebook or some other cloudy outfit anounces some BS and they sky-rocket.

If you want to make money, place little amounts in many when they are low according to the many histographs you can find ... wait until the hypebubble expands, sell 66% when it reaches +200% (so that you have your profit, double what you invested) but don't be too greedy (times 3-4 initail deposit is good) ... try and get money out every now and then ... yes, it is a full time job, yes, when you sell, do not sell all, wait until it trebbles again to remove 66%, it will keep giving - the money you have in crypto from here-on is money you made from crypto! When it falls, leave it until it spikes again ....

DO NOT REMOVE WHEN LOW, DO NOT INVEST MONEYS YOU MIGHT NEED!

Greed will be your downfall. (Eye of the Beholder 101)

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Eurocops splutter !!

I'm pretty sure that the Daily Mail told us that the reason for leaving the Eu was that filthy foreign jackbooted police would be allowed to arrest you in the home counties if you happened to shoot your au-pair

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Eurocops splutter !!

And the rest of the UK allowed to be arrested (after all they are not enthusiastic enough Tories)?

4. StuntMisanthrope

You keep it all in.

It's the worst currency in the history of ponzi's fingered by the usual registered suspects and evaders. MOND and greenshift. Seigniorage and double Gresham's all-round FWIW. #rochdaleandknockknock

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You keep it all in.

Kudos for the reference to Gresham's Law, but Bitcoin is not actually a Ponzi scheme. It's a sunk cost fallacy scheme, or perhaps a labour theory of value scheme.

The idea is that it takes so much electricity to find a Bitcoin these days that they must be valuable.

Unfortunately lots of people got poor on the thinking that gold is hard to find, therefore it was worth expending vast amounts of effort to dig a gold mine in the hope of finding some. Once the stuff is on the surface, its value is entirely psychological - what people are prepared to pay for it. During times like the present when paper currencies are unstable, gold is valued highly. But a string of binary digits is even more unstable than paper backed by a government. And is the perfect instrument of a pump & dump.

1. GBE

Regarding gold:

Once the stuff is on the surface, its value is entirely psychological

Well, not quite entirely. Gold has medical and industrial uses, but they only account for about 10% of consumption. Even if gold had no "psychological" value, it wouldn't be worthless, but it would be worth less.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One unanswered question is whether gold would even have medical and industrial uses if it wasn't mined for its perceived value.

1. deive

Quick answer for that is yes :-)

2. Muscleguy

Over in NZ there are gold mines still. Long after the Central Otago rush ended mid 19thC. Many left for the new rumours in the Yukon. At Macraes they grind up rock and extract PPM of gold.

Over on the West Coast of the South Island there are Mom and Pop setups, a sluice, a gravel pond and associated machinery. Some bastard recently went and vandalised and stole from a slew. Caused $20k of damage to the last one but left all the gold wash and a large nugget sitting on the ground.

I reckon he had too much hot gold from the others to fence.

3. Muscleguy

Oh and back in the 1920's they made Aluminium jewellery. It was knew and hard to make so there wasn't much available.

While we're on metals. NZ has a steel plant, it uses the local ironsands as a feedstock. Took quite some development to make it work in the '50s and '60s. The sand is titanomagnetite and NZ Steel make more actual dollars selling the titanium contaminant they have to scrape off the inside of their blast furnaces than they do selling the major product. NZ is not self sufficient in all steel but goes a long way down that road. Bear in mind most houses are still roofed in corrugated iron (zinc coated) or the baked on modern coating versions.

I helped my father paint ours as a teenager then got to do ours all by myself when we bought our own place. It's a job painting a roof, though the corrugated rollers all the sheds stock make the final coating pretty easy. It's all the prep that takes the time and effort. EVERY nail head has to be individually hand painted before the roller goes on for eg. It's a high summer job (no rain forecast for a couple of days) so you can imagine.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The sand is titanomagnetite"

Is the ironsand mining operation still running? I was on and off the barge many times during the 80s as a telco tech and thought it was shut down in the early 90s

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who gives a load about Bitcoin? I'm just excited by all the Beautiful South song title references!

6. Claverhouse Silver badge

Virtual Crimes demand Virtual Sentences !

1. Semtex451

I agree the Beautiful South should be virtually strung up for the badly sung vacuous formulaic crap they inflicted on us all.

7. BebopWeBop

"Taking back Control" (in this case a share of a market long dominated by furriners.... (so that's alright then)

8. vtcodger Silver badge

There's a lesson here

And that lesson is that even with something a stupid as cryptocurrency, it's a good idea for you and your ill-gotten gains to be many thousands of kilometers away when the authorities eventually come looking.

I'm told Thailand has nice beaches

9. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Five men and one woman?

Well, don't marry her.

10. Aussie Doc
    Headmaster

Wish I understood how it worked

I've tried to understand how it all works but I have more chance of understanding the Theory of Relativity or something.

My kids mine or whatever it's called and seem to do okay - they have a few wizz bang machines that I set up for them thinking they were going to do some serious gaming. Which I suppose is what they do, on reflection.

1. max allan

Re: Wish I understood how it worked

Yes, they do OK because you're paying for the electricity to power the machines (I'm guessing). If you charged them for it, it would be a different story.

1. Hans 1
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: Wish I understood how it worked

So, to make money from bitcoin, you have to sell electricity!

Thought of the century, we should patent that!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like