back to article Buckminsterfullerene sounds like the next UK Prime Minister but trust us, it's in fact the largest molecule yet found in interstellar space

Astrophysicists have found the single largest molecule yet floating in the interstellar medium, the soup of matter and radiation that floods space in between all of the universe’s objects. The molecule known as Buckminsterfullerene (C60) is made of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a soccer-football-thing-like structure. Carbon is a …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

Interstellar footballs

Spacesuits for goalposts?

1. Chris G

Re: Interstellar footballs

Or Hyper space jumpers

2. Annihilator
      Thumb Up

Isn't it? Mmm? Marvelous.

3. Muscleguy
      Alien

Well at least during lulls in the furious, desperate, existential battle between the aliens and humans there will be balls to have a kick around with and find Johnny Alien isn't such a bad sort after all.

The icon chose itself.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Better than potting planets into black holes, I suppose.

Doffs hat to the late, great Douglas Adams

2. jake Silver badge

News?

Didn't they find Buckyballs in space with the Spitzer telescope around ten years ago? And not just C60, but also C70?

1. m0rt

Re: News?

Yep:

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/3215-ssc2010-06b-Space-Balls

However, that was around a dying star. This article states interstellar so the stuff in between systems, so .... space*. So I guess this is what they mean and it goes to show that clickbait is rife in EVERY field. :)

*Space is weird. And big. Bigger than big.

1. Floydian Slip

It;s bigly big

2. Youngone Silver badge

You might think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's nothing compared to space.

2. Anon
      Boffin

Yes:-

22 May 2010 - NASA Telescope Finds Elusive Buckyballs in Space

"PASADENA, Calif. -- Astronomers using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have discovered carbon molecules, known as "buckyballs," in space for the first time..."

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/spitzer/news/spitzer20100722.html

3. Schultz
      Go

This time, they did their proper homework and assigned multiple absorption bands. The older claims of buckyballs in space were a bit speculative, now they actually have some hard data.

The uncertainties scale quite non-linearly: you observe 1 absorption band in the right spot, you might be 90% certain that you got the right molecule (there are always some issues with getting the Doppler shift right).

If you observe two absorption bands, you get more than 90%+9%, because you know that the Doppler shift must be the same if the bands stem from the same molecules.

A cheer for the scientists who went beyond the bare minimum required for a catchy headline!

1. Mark 85
        Pint

@Schultz -- Re: News?

I'm not certain that is actually "hard data" as such. It's still based on distant observation with some excellent guess work. To be fully "hard data" and factual, we need to collect a sample. But still, it's a great leap and in the scheme of things tells us more about the universe than we ever imagined.

I think a pint in order for the boffins.

1. Muscleguy

Re: @Schultz -- News?

Considering helium was first discovered and named from analysing the dark bands in sunlight before any was found here on Earth I think as a scientist (even if a mere biologist) that precedence should firm up things up a bit.

I'm an experimentalist so I'm always up for samples but it's a MEASUREMENT. I'm a Physiologist and we measure anything that moves and some things that don't. In my PhD in the subject I invented, validated and used a novel measurement.

The body measures some things via proxies. For eg the amount of CO2 in the blood which means you have to breathe harder is measured indirectly by measuring the blood pH. Which is why metabolic acidosis will make you unwontedly breathless and metabolic alkalosis might turn you a bit blue.

Which goes to show that direct measurements are a pretty good standard in practice.

Also we could do an experiment. Send a vehicle high enough above the plane of the ecliptic then release a cloud of C60 into the medium with a nice bright star behind it and show the bands are the same. If we put one of those newfangled chemistry synthesis machines on the craft it can make a load of other carbon molecules and puff them out to check the other bands as well.

I offer this experimental design under a creative commons. I simply want acknowledgment and my name on the paper.

3. John G Imrie

Am I the only one thinking

The currents of space by Isaac Asimov

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Am I the only one thinking

Prefer sultanas myself...

1. Dippywood

Do you have a raison for that preference?

1. Toltec

I'm guessing it is easier to get a date with them?

1. Semtex451

The others couldn't give a fig.

2. iGNgnorr

"I'm guessing it is easier to get a date with them?"

I couldn't give a fig. (ninja'd)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Coat

I don't find currants very mixed-peeling.

I really will get my coat after that...

2. Crisp
      Coat

What a bunch of grape puns.

4. sawatts

"indicates there's perhaps carbon in other systems and on other planets"

Discovery of the century.

1. Muscleguy

Re: "indicates there's perhaps carbon in other systems and on other planets"

Since there are those still wondering if silicon based lifeforms are possible (the chemistry is very impoverished in comparison and bond strengths much stronger) such observations are scientifically germane.

Since Carbon is such an obvious goto base silicon just gets to make the rocks if there's carbon everywhere.

Also since Carbon is element 6 and Silicon is element 14 you need earlier sequence supernovae to get lots of carbon than you do to get enough silicon. Since ice can be rock hard you don't actually needs rocks for life, though it helps.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm amazed they found it at all.

The thing about carbon - its main distinguishing feature - is it's black. The thing about space, the colour of space, your basic space colour, is black.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

So, that carbon, that'd be dark matter floating about in space then?

1. Tom 7

I thought is was Goth space-people drifting about aimlessly.

1. Muscleguy
          Boffin

WIMPS have already been postulated.

2. Mark 85

You actually might be on to something there....

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Are you certain it wasn't grit?

1. Adrian 4

It could be pocket fluff.

3. Daedalus

Colour isn't real, of course. It's just a tag our brains apply to objects in our vision. In any case, you don't look for carbon in the visual spectrum. You find it using infra-red, and in fact the researchers here used near-IR, just beyond the 800 nm limit of our vision.

For the record, a serious survey some years ago concluded that the average colour of the universe is beige. And Douglas Adams had nothing to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_latte

4. Citizen99

"The thing about carbon - its main distinguishing feature - is it's black."

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ;-)

6. ToddRundgrensUtopia

What came first the Buckyball or the 1970 Wold Cup Adidas football?

7. Annihilator
    Joke

Disappointing

Not a single "Buckyballs..... in..... spaaaaaaaaaace!" reference in sight. Very disappointing. Yahoo! Articles! Won't! Have! Exclamation! Marks! Next!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Disappointing

No mention of 'space balls' either ...

The one with the Schwartz in the pocket, thank you ...

8. Arctic fox
    Coat

"...........until the remaining DIBs are assigned.”

What I want to know is who gets first DIBs? Alright, alright, see icon.

9. Rich 2 Silver badge

Dark matter

Could these heavy molecules be a candidate for dark matter?

1. Chris G

Re: Dark matter

No, because it is immediately clear they are interacting with more than just gravity.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CBA to even Google it, but is this related to Dyson spheres ?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

No, it's a Captain America reference.

2. Muscleguy

Dyson spheres are where an advanced civilisation largely encloses its star to capture it's energy.

You might recall the interest in Tabby's Star which had irregular dips in light indicating lots of large chunks of Something orbiting it. Then someone did some simulations and showed a broken up large rocky planet or two could give the same result and is more likely and should be found more often and Tabby's star is the active sort to achieve that and not really a nice stable red dwarf it would be sensible to build a sphere around.

The idea that the star would turn green from all the plant life in the sphere seemed fanciful to me. Why make them shine through? that green light is still energetic and an advanced civilisation would want to grab as much energy as they can.

11. Alfie
    Coat

C30 C60 C90 Go!

Surely its only a matter of time until they discover the C90 molecule or even a C120, but presumably the C120s have a short lifespan and tendency to snap?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: C30 C60 C90 Go!

So a theory of a long thin stringy tape rolled up tightly so that it looks 3 dimensional from a distance ?

2. Toltec

Took me a second to switch from a Honda reference, in the right era though.

3. jake Silver badge

Homemade fullerenes are killing industry profits! Ban soot producing burning now!

12. beanfeast

Isn't this what lead to the research that resulted in the 1996 Nobel prize in Chemistry?

I remember watching an episode of Horizon about it which YouTube kindly provide, but I haven't rewatched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1flpmrB1Zg

13. herman
    Devil

Buckminsterfullerine? Shirley not the latest tryst of Bonny Prince Charley? I thought he is getting a bit too old for that sort of fling.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life

"The fact that there are chunks of carbon drifting through space indicates there's perhaps carbon in other systems and on other planets, and those worlds may thus have life as we know it on them."

There's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

15. ThatOne Silver badge
    Trollface

European vs. American Football

The fact there are naturally occurring European footballs gives it a huge legitimacy over American football, don't you think?...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: European vs. American Football

Like food, children's games have no national boundaries, unless placed there artificially by shallow human beings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like