back to article Digi-dosh exchange Coinbase: Someone tried to pwn our staff via this week's Firefox zero-day security hole

The development and release of a critical Firefox security patch this week was, in part, triggered by an attempted cyber-heist of crypto-coin exchange Coinbase. Coinbase chief information security officer Philip Martin said on Wednesday night the digital-dosh trading site was one of the prime targets of hackers, who tried to …

1. Sanctimonious Prick
    Terminator

Ever Safe?

Just when I thought it might be advantageous to switch from Chrome to Firefox, this happens. Damnit!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Firefox is safe with NoScript

The problem is Javascript, as usual. Stop that abomination from running and there is no vulnerability.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"continue burning down attacker infrastructure"

So they are retaliating. The cyber war is hot right now. I wonder who is getting caught in the crossfire.

Because the hacker may have taken control of innocent PCs and servers. Burning them down is going to inconvenience the hacker, but it is going to seriously bother the people who have no idea why their machine is borked.

3. sitta_europea Silver badge
    Pint

"...working with various orgs to continue burning down attacker infrastructure..."

Now that I like. Have a beer.

4. ocflyfish

Speaks with forked tongue

“We walked back the entire attack, recovered and…”

“The Coinbase security boss noted that the attack was not successful…”

I would say the attack succeeded or you wouldn’t have had to recover.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like