back to article Cloudflare hits the deck, websites sink from sight after the internet springs yet another BGP leak

US network services provider Cloudflare has been celebrating its impending tenth birthday with a good, old-fashioned TITSUP*, er, knees-up. Festivities began at around 1100 UTC this morning with website owners around the world noting that their sites had mysteriously become inaccessible for some users. The issue, according to …

1. Halfmad

By Richard Speed 24 Jun 2019 at 13:07

3 mins ago..

But it's actually 1 hour 3 mins ago.

Dear El'Reg what's going on!

1. Julz

Re: By Richard Speed 24 Jun 2019 at 13:07

The usual timezone bingo.

2. Marco Fontani

Re: By Richard Speed 24 Jun 2019 at 13:07

3 mins ago..

But it's actually 1 hour 3 mins ago.

Dear El'Reg what's going on!

The "minutes ago" is js-based, and uses your local timezone to perform the computation.

All non-relative times on the website are in UTC - which as it so happens is one hour behind BST, the current time zone in Europe/London, as daylight savings are in effect.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloudflare...

....other peoples networks you have no control over.

1. joeW

Re: The Cloudflare...

Same description could be applied to the Internet in general.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Put the distributed back in distributed ..

joeW “Same description could be applied to the Internet in general.”

Run your service from a rack-mounted PC with a second back-up machine with a UPS, and duplicate in multiple locations. That way when there is a fault in one location it doesn't impact the entire WEB.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Clearly the only solution is to lay your own cables...

1. Aids

or build your own internet....with blackjack & hookers

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The existing internet already has blackjack and hookers. And kittens.

1. Spamfast

How about a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory?

He Boiled For Our Sins

3. HarryPotterHasPTSD

I thought overall network attacks were down. Interesting...

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

PEBKAC

I thought overall network attacks were down. Interesting...

With grreat power comes great responsibility, and the potential to do this by getting a netmask wrong while configuring a route advertisment or filter. It's one of those 'oops' moments that occasionally occurs, and used to result in buying beers at LINX/NANOG meetings. Or just live in network engineer's memories. Like AS7007. Why have all the helldesk phones started ringing? Where is all my traffic going? Fun times.

It happens. It happens more often when people like vendor X's routers because it's config included a roll-back option. We used to edit configs in vi, validate them, then wave the rubber chicken and committ.

4. localzuk Silver badge

L3 down too

Level 3 seem to be down too. Could be the network at the root, or should that be route, of the problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: L3 down too

Or Iran hitting back for lolz.

2. Steven Raith

Re: L3 down too

They did note on a HackerNews post ( https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20262214 ) that Level3 appeared to be the source of a route leak, although it's been edited since.

Screenshot here - sorry if it's competing with ElReg but I can't find any other decent source with a screengrab:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/cloudflare-is-having-an-outage-affecting-sites-everywhere/

The edit suggests they don't think it's *just* L3 however, so pinch of salt and all that.

Apparently fixed as of 30 mins, ago, which is reflected in two of my dozen sites I look after no longer intermittently alarming at me.

Steven "it always seems to be Level3, doesn't it" R

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

snerk

seems Amazon also have issues.

6. Martin hepworth

Verizon customer leakage

This isnt Cloudfares stuff up,but a Verizon customer leaking routes from info on Nanog

https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-June/101577.html

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now I see what they mean by serverless.....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/03/cloudflare_goes_big_on_serverless_with_new_command_line_free_accounts/

8. cabac

Noction.......

.......best invention since gonorrhea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like