back to article Yay, for AI: Autonomous pizza-delivery robots. Nay for AI: Big Brother is real and it's powered by neural networks

If you wanna know what's been happening in AI this week beyond what we've already covered, here's a quick roundup... Waymo Open Dataset: Self-driving-car dreamer Waymo is planning to release a data set collected from sensors on its autonomous vehicles to help, er, drive progress in driverless automotive technology, it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

So El Reg thinks the real threat of AI is pervasive surveillance??

I'd be at least as worried about the fleet of robots delivering Domino's WMDDs (Weapons of Mass Digestive Distress) to your door. The nightmarish next step is that the robots are given arms to hold you down and forcefeed you Domino's "crap on a crust".

"Here, eat this next slice, human. Domino's loves you! You love Domino's! Do not struggle against our love!! We've remodeled our stores just for you!!"

1. JLV

Re: So El Reg thinks the real threat of AI is pervasive surveillance??

Next: GSV Bora Horza Gobuchul teams up with ROU Fast Pizza Delivery

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So El Reg thinks the real threat of AI is pervasive surveillance??

In tribute to Snowcrash they should call them deliverators, though katana wielding delivery drivers would be cooler, handy for some of the rougher areas too :)

2. Christoph

"Nuro's vehicles are specially designed to optimize the food delivery experience"

If I order a pizza I don't want a 'food delivery experience', I want a pizza!

1. MonkeyCee

Euphemisms

"If I order a pizza I don't want a 'food delivery experience', I want a pizza!"

Not if you ordered it from Dominos :D

I took it to mean that the bots will also sell you a wee baggie of special herbs and spices to enhance your experience.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course Big Brother exists. There is more than one

Google has one

Amazon has one

Facebook has one

the NSA has several.

etc etc etc

Step outside your home and walk down the street at least one of the above will get updated.

Buy anything on the Internet and they'll all get busy working out why you did what you did and the first three will make decisions on how to correct your actions and divert you to places where they are prevailing when it comes to surveilance.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Il.Geller

Re: Of course Big Brother exists. There is more than one

There is no motivation to spy in AI database because its content (information) is easily and legally controlled. It's a database! If you can control the information and it's quite inexpensive, why spend gigantic resources on massive surveillance of users? No one in the legislation will approve such insane and unproductive expenses!

If you want to fight the on-line surveillance - do it! But the legal way.

4. jmch Silver badge

Sample size

"the results should be taken with a pinch of salt, however, since the poll was only conducted with 503 registered voters from Massachusetts"

There's 4.5M registered voters in Massachusetts, so a truly random sample of 503 registered voters gives a confidence interval of well below 5 for confidence level of 95%. Given the survey numbers quoted, that's fairly clear overwhelming support.

5. ThatOne Silver badge
    WTF?

Pizzabots

I'm seriously wondering: Does everyone in Houston, Texas live on the sidewalk, or are those bots supposed to ring door bells, open building doors, take stairs and elevators and find their way through hallways?

Or is this only for the well-off suburbs full of even-earth houses with driveways, so your pizzabot can drive up to your door and honk?

1. Kiwi

Re: Pizzabots

Or is this only for the well-off suburbs full of even-earth houses with driveways, so your pizzabot can drive up to your door and honk?

No, what they'll do is provide an app on your smartphone that tracks youlets you track it.

I'm surprised they require a pin to unlock it though. This is Dominoes - who in their right mind would want to steal it? Hell, who even in a severely messed up mind would?

(Still better than pizzahutt - surprisednotsurprised that the local supermarket can produce far superior garlic bread to that lot!)

1. Mark 85

Stealing it? I can think that the members of the crack head population in many cities will love it. After beating the lid open, they can fill it up with whatever they want to send back.

1. Kiwi
          Trollface

Stealing it? I can think that the members of the crack head population in many cities will love it. After beating the lid open, they can fill it up with whatever they want to send back.

Well.. They certainly cannot make the contents any worse...

Unless they stop at Pizza Hutt....

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. I.Geller Bronze badge

...can be analysed and labelled...

What I wanted to prove! Photos can only be understood if they are explained/ annotated by text and my patented AI technology is applied.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. RunawayLoop

Defined test subjects

Any AI surveillance offering should first be tested on politicians. If they can handle it then I guess .... I'll still be buying a Groucho Marx mask

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like