back to article Microsoft, you should look away now: Google's cloud second only to AWS in dev survey

Coders use Google Cloud Platform (GCP) more than Microsoft Azure, though Amazon Web Services (AWS) has a comfortable lead, according to a Developer Ecosystem survey conducted by tools vendor JetBrains. Developer usage is 67 per cent AWS versus 28 per cent GCP and 21 per cent Azure, according to the new survey. Unfortunately, …

1. FF22

Clueless coders

I bet most developers don't even realize they're actually using Microsoft's cloud platform on a daily basis, because, well, GitHub is owned by Microsoft, and is hosted obviously on Azure. So, in reality most likely the majority of developers are actually using Microsoft's cloud platform, and more than they realize. But even if they wouldn't, it's mostly irrelevant what cloud platform developers are using, because they're an irrelevant minority amongst cloud users. And JetBrains' survey is not representative of the developer community anyway.

1. ibmalone

Re: Clueless coders

GitHub is owned by Microsoft, and is hosted obviously on Azure

Is it? There weren't any immediate plans for migration to Azure when they were acquired and a quick search can't turn up any announcements that they actually have since.

2. JohnFen

I assumed that the survey was asking what cloud platform you're developing for, not what cloud platform your tools might be using.

3. Elregouk

I’m fairly certain a move that big would end up in their blog when it eventually happens

4. sabroni Silver badge

Clueless poster more like.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...some bias may be present as JetBrains users may have been more willing on average to compete the survey."

And most developers developing for Azure will be using Visual Studio so probably didn't even get the memo in the first place.

3. sal II

Useless

Completely useless/meaningless results. First they do targeted advertisement, then chop 2/3 of the results.

Besides who on earth even sees those ads, yet alone click on them? Any sane person involved in IT should have them blocked at browser if not firewall/router level

4. IGotOut Silver badge

So in other words

Azure users are less likely to click random shit on the internet and fill in questionable "surveys" online.

And some people say MS users are the stupid ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So in other words

The devs I deal with do nothing but click on (and sign up for) random shit all day.

Every other day there is some new shiny toy they can't live without until another shiny thing catches their attention. E.G. they have 3 IM services in use at the moment.

5. JohnFen

Unit tests

"A surprising statistic is that "like last year, about 30 per cent of developers still don't have unit tests in their projects", or so the survey said."

I don't think that's terribly surprising, personally. It's in line with my personal observations, and am struggling to get the dev team I work on to start implementing unit tests.

I think the main reason for that is that the quality and productivity benefits from unit tests are all at the back end. At the front end, unit tests look and feel like a time-sucking pain in the ass that makes hitting your deadlines more difficult. This is made worse by unit test extremists who tend to be obnoxious and insist on things that don't make practical sense (such as that every line of code should be exercised through unit testing).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

percentages...

So if 57% use windows, 49% use macOS and 48% use Unix/Linux

Why are we running at 154% ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: percentages...

Perhaps some developers use multiple development environments?

1. JohnFen

Re: percentages...

Very likely. In my workplace, I use four different development environments on a daily basis, and another two on occasion.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hilarious! Because the revenue figures for all 3 say something very different!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you sure?

The charge levelled at Azure has been that office365 revenues inflate cloud revenue by including desktop software that is often used without any real cloud component.

Looking purely at the development orientated revenues (PaaS) AWS is around 30% market share with Google and Azure hovering around 10% market share. These numbers are changing at around +5%/year as legacy players are displaced and platforms mature.

8. Hans 1
    Joke

Developers, developers, developers

Azure to migrate to AWS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like