back to article Azure flock can stop faffing over bastion hosts: Microsoft has made it noob-friendly

Those suffering sphincter-tightening terror when opening a port to their VMs have been soothed by Microsoft in the form of Azure Bastion. Getting access to machines on private networks from the outside world is problematic. Secure Shell (SSH) and Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connectivity means making things potentially more …

1. Uberseehandel

Bastion. . . ???

Can it be a coincidence?

The "castle" in the photograph is picturesque. But pants as a castle or "Bastion". The last licensed castle to be built in England, its all about the show.

The walls only appear solid and most would take little more then a determined shove to cause them to fall.

Does the picture editor know something the rest of us do not?

1. Come to the Dark Side

Re: Bastion. . . ???

Which castle is it? I'd thought Castle Drogo was the last castle to be built but the picture looks more llike Shirburn Castle.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Looks rather like Leeds Castle in Kent to me - although I admit it's been a long time since I visited it.

1. Starace
          Boffin

It's Bodiam Castle. The big moat is one of the giveaways.

1. Come to the Dark Side
            Pint

Thankyou @Starace, pint for that lifeform!

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
            Facepalm

Doh!

I should have got that one - I was actually there more recently than at Leeds. In my defense it was still about 20 years ago.

3. Phage

Beat me to it. The Pub does a decent roast on a Sunday...

2. Uberseehandel

Drogo Castle is NOT a castle, it is a 20th century romance, a mock-up.

Bodiam Castle was the last licensed castle built in England. Its builder ran out of money, and the reason for a castle at that location (possible French invasion) had passed. So it got the "Hollywood" treatment and settled for looking great, rather than being a vital part of England's defences. However it looks like the real thing.

1. Come to the Dark Side

I'm still not sure what you mean by "last licensed castle in England" though, licenses to crenellate were issued into the 1500's. Bodiam (Bodyham) was licensed in 1385 by Richard II?

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Coat

a service maintained, patched and hardened by the Windows giant

And its security reputation speaks for itself...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So few people with a sense of humor, really?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No

There’s nothing funny about Wednesday’s or patching...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Tunneling through the firewall using HTML5

The portal is used to kick off RDP and SSH sessions. Corporate firewalls can also be dealt with by HTML5-based web clients automatically streaming to the local device, providing the RDP/SSH session over SSL on port 443.”

If it can be bypassed with a browser, doesn't this defeat the whole point of having a firewall?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like