back to article Microsoft's Edge gang pops a head above the parapet to give Linux fans a strong 'maybe'

The Edge team subjected itself to the dubious mercies of keyboard warriors in a Reddit AMA, a new Mac Visual Studio and storage shenanigans – it's just another week at Microsoft. Visual Studio for Mac gets a version bump While previews of .NET Core 3 technology continue to appear, Microsoft also upped Visual Studio 2019 for …

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

If MS do release a version of Edge for Linux will support the IE mode or not? As since I believe the IE mode is just running a tab with an instance of IE in the background I don't see how they could achieve it without having a version of IE also ported to Linux.

And without the IE mode Edge is just essentially just Chrome but sending your private date to MS rather than Google so why would you want it on Linux? Especially as you can install Chromium and get a version that doesn't slurp your data off to either.

1. Sloppy Crapmonster

Why are you asking us?

Shirley, you know it won't, just as it won't on MickOS[0]. And what makes you think IE mode would prevent MS from sucking down every last drop of the contents, once they've gone balls-deep on your computer? It's the entire shaft that's the problem. "IE Mode" would be grafting an additional set of seminal vesicles to the base of the browser that were aimed specifically at MS and not Google. So a delivery system that, while you enjoy it as well, does nothing but gratify MS.

This is why I decided to get off (ha!) the internet: so I don't feel the need to write things like this.

[0]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity "List of ethnic slurs by ethnicity" I think I approve, wikipedia, but I'm not sure why

2. katrinab Silver badge

IE6 I believe works reasonably well in Wine, and if it is a legacy ie-only site you need to access, IE6 is probably what you want.

3. twellys

MS tried to get IE on Unix platforms (Sun et al.) around ~1999.

It was very slow, and crashed. A lot.

(I was maintaining a Perl webserver, so wondered how IE displayed our pages)

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_UNIX

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd rather my Linux catch herpes than Edge.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Linux version of the new browser

Since when did Redmond EVER produce a sane browser?

Ha Ha Ha

Maybe it's for MS Linux, the replacement for the replacement for MS SFU. I suppose some people are paid to use Windows 10 and Edge?

4. jelabarre59

"stable" version?

...but the team were "super focused on bringing stable versions of Edge first to other versions of Windows (as well as macOS)".

Ah, so I guess we won't be expecting to see Edge on Linux for a few decades then...

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Linux

Re: "stable" version?

To everyone's relief!

5. JoMe

Dear Cthulhu save us...

That is all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Edge - Why?

Why would anyone want Edge in the first place, let alone on Linux?

If you want a Chrome-based browser, on any platform, wouldn't you just use Chrome, Chromium, or Vivaldi depending on your privacy stance and rejection of Google's dumbing down of the Chrome UI?

If you really care, I suspect you'll be using Firefox or Opera anyway.

1. pavel.petrman

Re: Edge - Why?

Re Vivaldi: as a hat tip to the lightness and nimbleness of Vivaldi and its light use of my system resources I prefer to refer to it as Wagner.

1. katrinab Silver badge

As in his 15 hour long Der Ring des Nibelungen?

1. pavel.petrman

Genau! Whenever I want to browse the electric Web, I need to go through the Vorabend before I can get to the actual browsing.

2. slartybartfast

‘If you really care, I suspect you'll be using Firefox or Opera anyway.’

Surely you are aware Opera is a Chrome based browser. Firefox is pretty much the only major browser not to use the Chrome engine.

7. Jaap Aap

I've heart that the only user of Edge is that one guy from U2.

1. Jaap Aap

*heard

I can't even type simple sentences :-(

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Listening to U2 will cause that...

2. hplasm
        Happy

"

*heard

I can't even type simple sentences :-("

I've herd that..

1. quxinot
          Happy

*herd

Lots of people think that way. It's a common mentality.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Not true. I regularly use Edge to download Firefox on new computers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear MS, exercise caution when releasing for Trisquel OS users!~~

9. Anonymaus Cowark
    Unhappy

wanted to know more about the cute cat and why it had been in the storage box ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's simply how HP ships anything: on a pallet, in a super large box. Irrespective if it's a sheet of A4 paper, or a cat..

2. hplasm
      Devil

"wanted to know more about the cute cat and why it had been in the storage box "

'Are you sure you want to install edge on Linux? Y(n)"

If Yes- Cat springs from box, pulls out your eyeballs and plays with them.

In a cute fashion, as all cats do...

icon: RedCat...

10. Hans 1

Who would want Edge when you have "bleeding edge"?

$MS are late, always late, even when it comes to April 1st jokes ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like