back to article TSB appoints new tech transformation chief cuz last tech transformation went really, really well

TSB, the bank that put the "down" into "meltdown", has appointed Mark Curran as director of Technology Transformation. Curran will be drinking from the poisoned chalice kicking off his exciting new role later in the summer and reporting to TSB CIO Mike Errington. The bank has been through several transformations over the …

1. }{amis}{
    Alert

Good Luck

Cos your going to need it an a possibly a miracle or two to clean up that cess-pit.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Good Luck

Seconded. At least, this one apparently has experience. It would truly be a cap in his feather if he were able to say that he transitioned TSB to a stable state.

1. Steve 114

Re: Good Luck

Brave guy, deserves success. When I looked at something similar, we did a big 'spaghetti diagram' on the wall for fun, before the Board chose a 'solutions provider' instead. We survived long enough to wave goodbye to those wasted millions, and to get things solved bit-by-tested-bit.

2. Chris G

The TSB was better before it became a full on bank. As a savings bank it provided a good service for savers and enough banking functions to be useful, as a full on bank it may have been better for share holders and board members depending on the manglement of the day.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But banks owned by their members is a ridiculous archaic concept.

Banks should be owned by the taxpayer until they are solvent again and can be given back to the shareholders

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Given back? I think not - The taxpayer owned bit should either be kept as a cash generating asset or the sell-off delayed until its net cost to the tax payer is zero.

We've already taken a £-Trillion hit on national debt in the last dozen years.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
          Happy

Missing tag

I think @welly that they missed off the <sarcasm/> tag.

Re: Missing tag

It's an el'reg story about banks and you need a sarcasm tag ?????????

1. 's water music

Re: Missing tag

It's an el'reg story about banks and you need a sarcasm tag ?????????

I think the point was that you really shouldn't need a sarcasm given el reg's traditional approach to the news and, in particular, to strories about the banking crisis and past coverage of TSB.

Wait, wut?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But banks owned by their members is a ridiculous archaic concept."

Why?

3. sal II

Photoshoped

The article picture must be photoshoped, TSB and working on the same storefront - not possible :)

4. Aladdin Sane

He's onto a winner

Not like he can make it any worse.

5. anothercynic Silver badge

Given he was at Lloyds...

... He'll have at least an idea of what may still be lurking in the dark recesses of the systems... And probably (hopefully) do a decent job getting the bank back to stability. Here's to hoping.

Re: Given he was at Lloyds...

>He'll have at least an idea of what may still be lurking in the dark recesses of the systems

We'll need an old priest and a young priest ...

6. cantankerous swineherd

he can't lose. if he got sacked tomorrow the pay off would set him up for life.

7. Velv
    Headmaster

I've worked for several UK banks and they pretty much all are going through transformations all of the time.

In most cases they rarely finish properly and are replaced by the next fad coming along.

To quote Mr. Incredible:

No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!

8. Dwarf

He’s going to have to excel in his job to exceed the capabilities of his predecessor.

1. teebie

I think the plan is to transition their back end systems from Excel to some sort of database.

1. Aladdin Sane

I thought they were moving everything from Lotus-123 to Excel?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

to willfully mis-quote: When you've only got PowerPoint, everything looks like a presentation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plucked straight from Linkedin No Doubt

That's where all the top notch IT staff come form with there inflated and not always true CV's are plain to see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plucked straight from Linkedin No Doubt

Given he worked under the new Chair at Clydesdale and Yorkshire, it's more likely she tapped him up

2. Aladdin Sane
      Headmaster

Re: Plucked straight from Linkedin No Doubt

I really hope your CV has undergone a better proofreading than your post.

10. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Going to be interesting to see what happens to This Slogging Bank.

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Unlike Curran, Crosbie put in over 20 years of service before stepping into the TSB CEO's shoes"

Huh? The figures given in the next para amount to 10 years experience. 10 years isn't inconsiderable and perhaps is appropriate for a job two levels down. In some shops 10 years is enough to be moved to a desk next to the door while the employer looks for "younger, fresher" and, coincidentally, cheaper talent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon